What's new

Death Threat at Utah State

Women play games as well, and making them with that demographic would enhance the marketability of many games.
Apparently she is relevant enough to be getting death threats on a regular basis, despite your analysis of the situation.

I don't think you understand the point of fantasy. Women like playing sexy avatars as much or more than guys like viewing them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urNyg1ftMIU

Everyone in the public spotlight gets death threats. Everyone. It ain't indicative of their relevance.

She ain't doing or supporting anything valuable for women. She's just a hater getting hate back.

I don't think you understand the point of fantasy. Women like playing sexy avatars as much or more than guys like viewing them.

I have not watched all of Sarkeesian's videos, but from what I have seen, women having sexy avatars to choose from is not the main issue.

Everyone in the public spotlight gets death threats. Everyone. It ain't indicative of their relevance.

Not everyone gets the same quantity or quality.

I don't consider myself an expert, but here is some arm-chair psychology.

Some gamers (often male gamers) have poor self images- they use games and skill in games to build themselves up. When someone says he fou(especially a woman) their games are "bad" or "wrong", they go berserk. In their view the foundation of their lives is literally being assaulted.

The foundation of their lives should literally be assaulted. ****ing pathetic, insane losers.

Whoa - this all ties into that video I posted on here in a thread titled L-O-L... It was these two guys' kickstarter video for a investigative documentary they wanted to do opposing the woman who got death threats at Utah State. I titled it L-O-L because I truly couldn't tell if it was real or satire. I don't play video games much and definitely don't read about it, so I am completely ignorant to "gamergate" and all the surrounding context. Either way, those who are familiar with everything should find that thread (it's on the 1st or 2nd page of GD forum).

Does anyone read your threads?

For the most part I am sharing things that some other random person logging onto Jazzfanz across the world might have even the slightest of shreds of an interest in while we all slowly wait for our deaths browsing the internet to help pass the time less sordidly (or more, in the case of sharing stories involving despicable human trash like Darren Wilson).

I recently learned how to add images and "gifs" into posts, so now I've become even more entertaining or capable of read-worthy threads as it were. For example, some poor dreg posted about having always fantasized (his word, not mine) about looking for fossils and I replied in the thread with a video of Nic Cage in National Treasure maniacally laughing at someone. The versatility of it working double - one as a way of implying I am belly-laughing at that being a fantasy and two because the movie National Treasure is in the same vein as fossil hunting - was stellar.

To put it more plainly for you, sir, I'm not only as sharp as a tack with a keen eye for news on the human condition I am also brilliantly hilarious. So, yes, you bet your ****ing *** people read my threads.

I recently learned how to add images and "gifs" into posts, so now I've become even more entertaining or capable of read-worthy threads as it were. For example, some poor dreg posted about having always fantasized (his word, not mine) about looking for fossils and I replied in the thread with a video of Nic Cage in National Treasure maniacally laughing at someone. The versatility of it working double - one as a way of implying I am belly-laughing at that being a fantasy and two because the movie National Treasure is in the same vein as fossil hunting - was stellar.

That was amazing.

Who is Sarkeesian?

Honestly - watch that video I linked in this thread. If you don't want to see the most pathetic, inadvertently hilarious video of all time than just know she's a feminist activist who speaks out against misogyny in media. Some of it's completely warranted, some of it is a little far-fetched (for example, she tweeted yesterday during the school shooting in Washington that it's no coincidence all school shooters are males because a masculinity complex perpetuated in our society (or something along those lines)).

She seems to have done a lot of research. On what do you base that statement?

Done her research on Wikipedia. In her video, she ignores or either doesn't now other installation Mario where Princess Peachs is a playable character and focuses on one game of these series to make a one-sided argument. She also doesn't know or either ignores how complex a character is Princess Zelda and how she is one of the strongest characters from a political stand of point of view.

She doesn't doesn't cite her sources and the artworks she uses.

https://cowkitty.net/post/78808973663/you-stole-my-artwork-an-open-letter-to-anita

Done her research on Wikipedia.

What percentage do you mean? Are you saying no one should ever do any research on Wikipedia for a web series? If she wasn't a gamer herself, why would she take up the issue at all?

In her video, she ignores or either doesn't now other installation Mario where Princess Peachs is a playable character and focuses on one game of these series to make a one-sided argument. She also doesn't know or either ignores how complex a character is Princess Zelda and how she is one of the strongest characters from a political stand of point of view.

I agree she is trying to make her point in the strongest way she can, but I don't understand why, if Peach is playable in Mario Party, that means that Peach doesn't fit the stereotypes/tropes present in Super Mario Brothers. How is this point relevant.

She doesn't doesn't cite her sources and the artworks she uses.

https://cowkitty.net/post/78808973663/you-stole-my-artwork-an-open-letter-to-anita

This was resolved 11 days later. You can't come up with a current issue?

https://cowkitty.net/post/79912196471/update-3-you-stole-my-artwork-an-open-letter-to

What percentage do you mean? Are you saying no one should ever do any research on Wikipedia for a web series? If she wasn't a gamer herself, why would she take up the issue at all?

I agree she is trying to make her point in the strongest way she can, but I don't understand why, if Peach is playable in Mario Party, that means that Peach doesn't fit the stereotypes/tropes present in Super Mario Brothers. How is this point relevant.

https://cowkitty.net/post/79912196471/update-3-you-stole-my-artwork-an-open-letter-to

Peach becomes a playable character as early in the series as Super Mario Brothers 2. Not to mention Mario Kart.

What about the big surprise in Metroid?

But, yes there is clear machismo in the gaming industry.

Popularity? Money? A sense of duty to raise the platfrom of women to the same of men? I think it is her sense of duty and I appreciate it but I don't think she does very good job of it.

Do you think that is right to dismiss the other games? Especially to the people who haven't played those games. Don't you think a person who haven't played Legend of Zelda would think Zelda is a powerless character and not the leader of the sages?

We are also talking about a game with almost no plot in Super Mario Bros and in a game that was released in 1985. The other playable character in this game was just a Green Mario. Princess Peach, however, was a playable character in Super Mario Bros 2.

I didn't know about this but this doesn't change the fact that she did it and didn't cite her sources.

Popularity? Money?

Because there is so much to be had from criticizing trends in video games? If these were her goals, she would have stopped a long time ago.

A sense of duty to raise the platfrom of women to the same of men? I think it is her sense of duty and I appreciate it but I don't think she does very good job of it.

I think a sense of duty is a strong possibility, and that the reason it expressed itself via video games is that Sarkeesian is likely a fan of such games.

Many people, including other feminists, find things to criticize about Sarkeesian's work, but she's the only one doing it on a regular, detailed level.

Don't you think a person who haven't played Legend of Zelda would think Zelda is a powerless character and not the leader of the sages?

Are you speaking of the original game, or the overall series? I haven't played any of them, but my understanding is that, in the original game, Zelda is powerless within the context of the game.

We are also talking about a game with almost no plot in Super Mario Bros and in a game that was released in 1985. The other playable character in this game was just a Green Mario. Princess Peach, however, was a playable character in Super Mario Bros 2.

I don't think anyone disputes that games in general, and the Mario games in particular, have gone back and forth on this issue.

I didn't know about this but this doesn't change the fact that she did it and didn't cite her sources.

I agree that using fan art without permission is wrong (I assume this is what you mean by "sources"), but I don't see how that affects the accuracy of the content of her videos.

Peach becomes a playable character as early in the series as Super Mario Brothers 2. Not to mention Mario Kart.

What about the big surprise in Metroid?

But, yes there is clear machismo in the gaming industry.

I don't think anyone claims there are no exceptions to the use of the various tropes.

You could probably make an argument that the reason the surprise of Metroid was such a surprise is that it runs counter to highly prevalent practices.