What's new

Game Thread Dec 05, 2021 01:30PM MT: Jazz at Cavaliers

Added to Calendar: 12-05-21

Reading through the comments and didn't see any mention of Conley's perimeter defense on that last play.

To me Conley is by far our best perimeter defender... Well actually Gobert is the best, but Conley is second.

Conley has taken over Joe's role as the best point of attack/PnR guard defender on the team. I think he does a great job of getting around screens and staying connected to the ball handler in drop coverage and is decent (better than everyone else) at staying in front in 1v1 situations. I just think it gets tough for him when he's switched onto the bigger wings and he doesn't have much range when covering space and closing out off the ball. I used to get worried when we played the guys who could take 3's off the dribble, but I think Conley/Gobert handle it really well.

I never want to go back to the days where Quin put Royce on the Curry/Dame/Murray types. Royce gets blasted on every screen and is pretty horrid at guarding 1v1 in space against quick players.

Rudy is an absolute rock. Far and away our most impactful player. His presence tonight cannot be overstated.

I was getting pretty mad tonight watching him work his *** off constantly and never get the ball. He had some wide open easy dunks tonight and his teammates didnt get him the ball.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Shout out to the refs and Adam Silver. Three blatant and horribly missed calls in the last six minutes. Bojan, Conley and Spida in the act of shooting, a mugging occurs and no call. The one involving Conley was probably the worst. The defender impacted three different parts of Mikes body.

That rudy dunk had a lot of contact too

I would have felt horrible for Gobert if we lost. Dude was making multiple stops on the same possession, sometimes after running from out of bounds, and the Cavs were still scoring sometimes because he has to grab the rebound himself lol. There were like 4-5 plays in the last minute alone that no one on the planet could make. He's an all time great for a reason.

This

Just going through his thread now. Was there even a single post about Rudys dunk?

I was getting pretty mad tonight watching him work his *** off constantly and never get the ball. He had some wide open easy dunks tonight and his teammates didnt get him the ball.

Nah, he may not get many touches on offense but his teammates aren’t selfish; they let him have everything on defense to balance it out.

Rudy is absolutely insane defensively. This was one of the best sequences of his career.

NBA channel couldn’t stop gushing about Allen after their beat down of Washington the other day. Rudy brought him back to earth again tonight blocking his shot at least twice that I remember and completely outplaying him!

Could you imagine if he had a competent defense in front of him?

Almost every recent champion has a DPOY level player (or two) flanked with all defense level defenders and plus athletes. We just have Gobert and....Royce? lol. Rudy's defensive burden is ridiculous.

The knock on Gobert is "versatility", but what's that worth playing with 4 undersized/bad defenders and how much more versatile would Gobert be if he didn't have to both defend and rebound everything?

Almost every recent champion has a DPOY level player (or two) flanked with all defense level defenders and plus athletes. We just have Gobert and....Royce? lol. Rudy's defensive burden is ridiculous.

The knock on Gobert is "versatility", but what's that worth playing with 4 undersized/bad defenders and how much more versatile would Gobert be if he didn't have to both defend and rebound everything?

And imagine if he had an offensive game to go with that. He’d be what people thought Dwight was. The NBA would not be ready.

Rudy was next-level badass down the clutch minutes of that game. Bonkers. Really wish Q would do defensive substitutions. Mind-blowing that he doesn't go there.