What's new

Game Thread Dec 06, 2023 06:30PM MT: Jazz at Mavericks

Added to Calendar: 12-06-23

I watched the first quarter again. We played pretty hard really. Simone had some nice baskets and active D, Key had some very nice AST, OhMy had some nice buckets. Our effort looked decent but the Mavs shot 65% for the quarter. When THT and Sexton came in we lost offensive flow and our defense sucked. Kessler got abused. Hendricks looked pretty lost and was ignored by THT even though he was wide open. Meanwhile the Mavs with Luka continued to drain 3's.

Keyonte might be tired and that might somewhat explain his poor shooting. He expended a lot of energy vs. Portland and took a beating. He looked tired in the interview they showed pre-game.

Yeah, this was ugly. We are rebuilding and yet somehow we generally look old, stiff, and unathletic.

What happened to Kessler? Still recovering? Sophomore slump?

Keyonte might be tired and that might somewhat explain his poor shooting. He expended a lot of energy vs. Portland and took a beating. He looked tired in the interview they showed pre-game.
Trust me it’s not the poor shooting, I can live with that. It’s interior passing and decision making. Two plays come to mind, one where he threw the ball into the lane missing Yurt by a mile and the other where he blocked himself against Lively’s chin. He just gets flustered way too easily particularly for a point guard.

Because practice and because he’s not ready and because talent is irreparably damaged playing too soon and because when you lose, you need to lose the right way and that way isn’t with inexperienced guys that you drafted in the lottery.
I actually do think he needed some g league reps. He looked like a different player. I would say they actually played this correctly. Had he had a healthy offseason I might not have been as on board. We are 25% of the way into the season… I think this is the right pace for him. Now if he’s mothballed when KO comes back imma be pissed.

Wow that was ugly. I dont think our defensive strategy was to find and go to the "no mans land" on every Dallas possession, but thats where our players hanged out and were probably immersed in small talk while Dallas was playing basketball.
  • I'm getting seriously worried about Kessler. Yurt7 had more red in his ledger this game and didnt look good, but somehow Kessler still looked worse in the eyeball test.
  • This was one of the first games where I thought George looked downright bad. Offensively he wasnt a total disaster and didnt get much help from anyone, but on defense he was rough.
  • Hendricks looked good second game in a row. I am very close to calling the youth movement and tank.
  • The polarity of the team is just puzzling. We fight hard and play teams tough at home and on the road we just melt right from the get go and look like the worst team in the entire league.
I'm also getting frustrated by Hardy. He throws the team under the bus at the presser way too often, while he is the mastermind who thinks playing 5-6 guards in rotation is a good idea. Just be a man and bench some of those dunces. I mean JC is out and HE STILL plays 5-6 guards every game. Questionning the effort and desire to win is almost never a good play by the HC, and certainly not for a team who's issues seem to be more about confidence and cohesion.

Rookie Wall, Almost all players speak about it it usually happen after 18/22 games. Wemby look terrible tonight compare to Rudy.
I did not watch the game, obviously was the good day to skip a game :)
Yeah that could be true but lets wait and see if this is an individual bad game or that. Usually the wall seems to come for rookies who struggle with efficiency (which applies perfectly to both Wemby and George).

Banchero hit that wall February last year where he had a stretch of 12 games where he hit 1/35 from 3 and shot like 35% from the field and 70% from FT. Had only 3 20 point games in that stretch, despite averaging over 20 for most other full months.