What's new

Game Thread Dec 30, 2022 08:00PM MT: Jazz at Kings

Added to Calendar: 12-30-22

• Mike Conley and Kelly Olynyk were two of the Jazz’s best players on both ends of the court on Friday night, but foul trouble cut the time they were able to play in the fourth quarter and forced the Jazz to play some smaller and less experienced lineups in clutch minutes.
Huh? We're we watching the same game? Olynyk was one of the Jazz's best players on both ends of the court Friday?

• Mike Conley and Kelly Olynyk were two of the Jazz’s best players on both ends of the court on Friday night, but foul trouble cut the time they were able to play in the fourth quarter and forced the Jazz to play some smaller and less experienced lineups in clutch minutes.
Huh? We're we watching the same game? Olynyk was one of the Jazz's best players on both ends of the court Friday?
I guess KO annoyed Sabonis to a point where he ended up missing one free throw. He sure as hell didnt miss anything else when KO was on him.

Olynyk also posted elite 5/3/1 statline.. so definitely made a mark.

Well, that was some bull***t.

- Worst game I've ever seen from Kelly Olynyk. Complete non-factor on offense, didn't even pretend to move his feet on defense. 5 points and 3 rebounds in 29 minutes. The dude played like a bitch in a game where we really needed him. In the decisive rebounding battle that led to Huerter's go-ahead three pointer, Olynyk was spinning in place like a ****ing top in the middle of the paint while Sacramento's guards were flying all around him. I get that he's ground bound and generally unathletic, but the man is still 6'11'' for ****s sake. Put your body on someone! As for those phantom fouls he keeps getting whistled for - Olynyk has a rep and he only has himself to blame. He's had a long career full of nasty tricks, flopping and semi dirty play. Of course the refs are watching him extra carefully. This **** has been hurting the team all season and I'm getting pretty fed up with it. I would be fine with trading KO tomorrow if this is how he's playing the rest of the season.

- The sight of Vando getting the ball literally 10 feet from the basket and refusing to take a shot, instead hot potato'ing it to a teammate standing next to him, was really something. And it happened more than once. I have no ****ing idea how people still see this guy as an asset with "sky high potential" or something. He straight up sucks on both sides of the ball. Vando is becoming one of Hardy's stealth tanking weapons, the same as Rudy "I'm just gonna shoot this here 3 pointer" Gay (who, by the way, was an incredible +5 again).

- Speaking of Hardy... what is he doing?? If you can tell, you're a better man than me. He doesn't make adjustments, doesn't challenge calls, plays guys that keep hurting us and benches guys who have been on the upswing. I think the Hardy honeymoon is just about over. He has to be careful not to lose some of the guys on this team who are playing well and trying to win.

- I can't blame Beasley for his horrid shooting slump. It happens to the best of 'em. At least he tried to go inside when the long ball wasn't falling again. The problem is that he doesn't have the tools to play like that. He runs out of ideas and doesn't have the hops or strength to go at a big's chest like Sexton. Beasley is not that different from someone like Duncan Robinson - when the shot isn't falling, these guys are useless because they're absolutely terrible defenders and lack creativity as well as ballhandling.

- I keep harping on about our point of attack defense. I've never seen a worse group effort to guard ballhandlers. Doesn't matter if it's Conley, Clarkson, Sexton or Beasley - they all keep dying on screens, going under on lethal shooters like Huerter, jogging lazily behind the play when the center has to deal with a 2-on-1 in drop coverage and generally defending like they're all 45 years old. They're making poor Kessler look bad for no reason by not even trying at the PoA. As Thurl said, it's too much to ask from a rookie center to help on the ballhandler who has all the space and time in the world and then recover to the big man.

- Lauri was on fire inside the arc, and sometimes you just miss those 3's, but let's be honest... none of the long balls he launched were good shots. They were rushed, flat, well contested, and he'd obviously made up his mind to shoot before he even got the ball. That doesn't make sense as he's one of the most efficient players in the league when he gets to the interior. Just do a shot fake and blow past the guy closing you out. That's a minor nitpick though, especially in this game.

Lauri rightfully gets props for scoring in the flow of the game and not forcing stupid stuff, but sometimes the contested 3pt shot is his Achilles' heel. If he applied the same rules to that as he does to the rest of his offense, he'd drive to the basket or midrange when teams run him off the perimeter. Instead he forces a shot up and in this game it was pretty much a bad decision every time.
Your post is full of negativity although the Jazz played well and we would’ve beaten the Kings handily had we shot the threes with our normal/average efficiency. Was a great game against a pretty good team in their hostile barn. I’m proud of our guys’ strong effort.

Man I hope you're right. There is absolutely no point in losing with the vets getting big minutes, and we're losing. It makes the games a little more palatable to watch but is accomplishing nothing for the future.
For me it makes games less palatable to watch

They definitely weren’t watching the same game lol. No analytics backs this statement up either.

Jazz started 10-3 and since then they are 9-16. We blamed it on a hard schedule and injuries but starting to look like this is who they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jazz started 10-3 and since then they are 9-16. We blamed it on a hard schedule and injuries but starting to look like this is who they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If this is who they are, they will be a 500 team at the end of the season just as I expected when the season started. I think they have to make sure they are worse, by moving vets and throwing rooks in the fire soon and a lot in the second half of the season to finish in the middle lottery or better. Maybe they would make sure they are better this season than now, with external deals at the deadline or as soon as tomorrow, but it seems unlikely they can make the types of moves that justify it, well unless they can get picks or other youth movement returns for eating another vets deal that is a better fit than current vets.