Defensive Challenge in the Playoffs

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
So Bojan got beat up pretty good on this trip at times down the stretch. Teams really hunted him. I'm not saying we should trade him but it seems like we need to add a defensive presence in place of either Bojan or Niang.

So here's the question I have. Say we did move Bogey for a better defender... won't teams just hunt DM or Mike? Is that going to go any different? Is the defense for offense trade even worth it?

I would think the better defender would have to be a solid matchup defender but also able to disrupt passing lanes, get some rebounds and loose balls. I don't have a lot of realistic suggestions for a solution... I'm really trying to talk out if this is a real problem... and if it is can the problem be fixed?

White Chocolate

Respect All, Fear None
Contributor
Jazz trade Bojan Bogdanovic, Georges Niang and Elijah Hughes to the Rockets for P.J. Tucker and Eric Gordon

Slide Royce to SF and start Tucker at PF. Clarkson/Gordon/Ingles off the bench. We’d have the best bench in the league by far.

Just spitballing here, what do you think?

NUMBERICA

Jazz trade Bojan Bogdanovic, Georges Niang and Elijah Hughes to the Rockets for P.J. Tucker and Eric Gordon

Slide Royce to SF and start Tucker at PF. Clarkson/Gordon/Ingles off the bench. We’d have the best bench in the league by far.

Just spitballing here, what do you think?
Houston has no need for a 30-something dude owed ~$40 million over two years AFTER this year is what I think.

whatthe

You get ahead with Bojan and then you play Favors and Gobert and O'Neal and Oni and Mitchell at the same time to close out games.

White Chocolate

Respect All, Fear None
Contributor
Houston has no need for a 30-something dude owed ~$40 million over two years AFTER this year is what I think.

Their (Gordon and Bogdanovic) contracts are almost identical after this year. Maybe make it a three-way trade and send Bojan to a third team for expiring contract(s) and picks.

White Chocolate

Respect All, Fear None
Contributor
I do not understand why we would want either Tucker or Gordon. Neither make us better realistically. Bojan's scoring and deadly 3 shooting is far more valuable.

Tucker would be amazing on this team. Problem is we don’t have any contracts to trade for him straight up.

He would add toughness and we could use a guy like that. He can shoot threes and he is someone we could throw on LeBron, Kawhi, George, etc in the playoffs which would be a better option than anyone we have on the team.

Why wouldn’t we want Tucker? Very odd post.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
Tucker would be amazing on this team. Problem is we don’t have any contracts to trade for him straight up.

He would add toughness and we could use a guy like that. He can shoot threes and he is someone we could throw on LeBron, Kawhi, George, etc in the playoffs which would be a better option than anyone we have on the team.

I don't want tucker at all. I want more size of we are upgrading bogey.
Plus once tucker is on the jazz he won't be able to defend anymore cause refs hate us

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

LogGrad98

Contributor

He isn't enough to move the needle imo, at least for what we would have to give up. If we were signing him as a buy-out at the minimum to fill out the roster then sure. But his 3 pt shooting is the worst of his career, at barely 32%. He is starting to show signs of falling off on D and the advanced analytics show it. If we could just add him fine, but overall he would be a net negative if we have to move Bojan to do it.

Jingled

2019 Award Winner
I really wish Quin wasn't so stubborn with his rotations. I think Oni and Morgan could help solve some of our defensive issues but when we're healthy they can't even get on the floor. Not saying they should be getting a ton of minutes or even getting minutes every single night but there are situations and games where their skillsets could help us. I also think we'd be better off closing some games with Ingles over Bogey.

If we do add a wing defender then it better be through a trade for someone in the rotation. Anyone we sign will never see the floor because Quin's rotation and minutes pattern is set and he's not going to change it. Unless we get rid of someone currently in the rotation, any addition we make to the roster will never get on the court and will therefore be useless.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
He isn't enough to move the needle imo, at least for what we would have to give up. If we were signing him as a buy-out at the minimum to fill out the roster then sure. But his 3 pt shooting is the worst of his career, at barely 32%. He is starting to show signs of falling off on D and the advanced analytics show it. If we could just add him fine, but overall he would be a net negative if we have to move Bojan to do it.
This

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app