What's new

Defensive Challenge in the Playoffs

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
So Bojan got beat up pretty good on this trip at times down the stretch. Teams really hunted him. I'm not saying we should trade him but it seems like we need to add a defensive presence in place of either Bojan or Niang.

So here's the question I have. Say we did move Bogey for a better defender... won't teams just hunt DM or Mike? Is that going to go any different? Is the defense for offense trade even worth it?

I would think the better defender would have to be a solid matchup defender but also able to disrupt passing lanes, get some rebounds and loose balls. I don't have a lot of realistic suggestions for a solution... I'm really trying to talk out if this is a real problem... and if it is can the problem be fixed?

Jazz trade Bojan Bogdanovic, Georges Niang and Elijah Hughes to the Rockets for P.J. Tucker and Eric Gordon

Slide Royce to SF and start Tucker at PF. Clarkson/Gordon/Ingles off the bench. We’d have the best bench in the league by far.

Just spitballing here, what do you think?

Jazz trade Bojan Bogdanovic, Georges Niang and Elijah Hughes to the Rockets for P.J. Tucker and Eric Gordon

Slide Royce to SF and start Tucker at PF. Clarkson/Gordon/Ingles off the bench. We’d have the best bench in the league by far.

Just spitballing here, what do you think?
Houston has no need for a 30-something dude owed ~$40 million over two years AFTER this year is what I think.

You get ahead with Bojan and then you play Favors and Gobert and O'Neal and Oni and Mitchell at the same time to close out games.

Houston has no need for a 30-something dude owed ~$40 million over two years AFTER this year is what I think.

Their (Gordon and Bogdanovic) contracts are almost identical after this year. Maybe make it a three-way trade and send Bojan to a third team for expiring contract(s) and picks.

I do not understand why we would want either Tucker or Gordon. Neither make us better realistically. Bojan's scoring and deadly 3 shooting is far more valuable.

Tucker would be amazing on this team. Problem is we don’t have any contracts to trade for him straight up.

He would add toughness and we could use a guy like that. He can shoot threes and he is someone we could throw on LeBron, Kawhi, George, etc in the playoffs which would be a better option than anyone we have on the team.

Why wouldn’t we want Tucker? Very odd post.

Tucker would be amazing on this team. Problem is we don’t have any contracts to trade for him straight up.

He would add toughness and we could use a guy like that. He can shoot threes and he is someone we could throw on LeBron, Kawhi, George, etc in the playoffs which would be a better option than anyone we have on the team.

I don't want tucker at all. I want more size of we are upgrading bogey.
Plus once tucker is on the jazz he won't be able to defend anymore cause refs hate us

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

He isn't enough to move the needle imo, at least for what we would have to give up. If we were signing him as a buy-out at the minimum to fill out the roster then sure. But his 3 pt shooting is the worst of his career, at barely 32%. He is starting to show signs of falling off on D and the advanced analytics show it. If we could just add him fine, but overall he would be a net negative if we have to move Bojan to do it.

I really wish Quin wasn't so stubborn with his rotations. I think Oni and Morgan could help solve some of our defensive issues but when we're healthy they can't even get on the floor. Not saying they should be getting a ton of minutes or even getting minutes every single night but there are situations and games where their skillsets could help us. I also think we'd be better off closing some games with Ingles over Bogey.

If we do add a wing defender then it better be through a trade for someone in the rotation. Anyone we sign will never see the floor because Quin's rotation and minutes pattern is set and he's not going to change it. Unless we get rid of someone currently in the rotation, any addition we make to the roster will never get on the court and will therefore be useless.

He isn't enough to move the needle imo, at least for what we would have to give up. If we were signing him as a buy-out at the minimum to fill out the roster then sure. But his 3 pt shooting is the worst of his career, at barely 32%. He is starting to show signs of falling off on D and the advanced analytics show it. If we could just add him fine, but overall he would be a net negative if we have to move Bojan to do it.
This

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I really wish Quin wasn't so stubborn with his rotations. I think Oni and Morgan could help solve some of our defensive issues but when we're healthy they can't even get on the floor. Not saying they should be getting a ton of minutes or even getting minutes every single night but there are situations and games where their skillsets could help us. I also think we'd be better off closing some games with Ingles over Bogey.

If we do add a wing defender then it better be through a trade for someone in the rotation. Anyone we sign will never see the floor because Quin's rotation and minutes pattern is set and he's not going to change it. Unless we get rid of someone currently in the rotation, any addition we make to the roster will never get on the court and will therefore be useless.
I agree but I wonder if replacing Niang's minutes makes a big enough impact... he's improved on that end. I've started to consider that maybe it should be Bojan that is moved to get a bigger impact on that end. If Niang can give us 70% of what Bojan then he can get a few extra minutes when shooting is a higher priority.

One of the realistic guys I come back to is Rudy Gay. Real PF size. Great rebounding. Shooting it pretty well. Better defender and capable of spending time on Lebron/Kawhi. The thing Bojan provides is amazing shooting... if Gay is able to space the floor does the worse shooting hurt us that much? Does the added defense make much of a difference if DM and Conley are hunted instead.

Just feels like that spot needs some variance... Bojan and Niang have similar benefits and drawbacks. I'm not sold on anything... just spitballing.

I agree but I wonder if replacing Niang's minutes makes a big enough impact... he's improved on that end. I've started to consider that maybe it should be Bojan that is moved to get a bigger impact on that end. If Niang can give us 70% of what Bojan then he can get a few extra minutes when shooting is a higher priority.

One of the realistic guys I come back to is Rudy Gay. Real PF size. Great rebounding. Shooting it pretty well. Better defender and capable of spending time on Lebron/Kawhi. The thing Bojan provides is amazing shooting... if Gay is able to space the floor does the worse shooting hurt us that much? Does the added defense make much of a difference if DM and Conley are hunted instead.

Just feels like that spot needs some variance... Bojan and Niang have similar benefits and drawbacks. I'm not sold on anything... just spitballing.
SAS are in 6th and won 7 of their last 10.

Bogey for H Barnes? Barnes can hit the 3 at a high clip as well, good team dude, good interior defender, decent wing defender, great playoff experience, younger, more athletic, better rebounder, has also faked being a number one option for a team before like bogey did (I feel like it gives good experience), only a few million more per year but what you get in added defense and rebounding in the playoffs might be worth it. Thoughts?

I'm not trying to get trade proposals... just theoretically are we better if we swapped another player for Bojan... or do we just need a bit player and do it with a buyout guy replacing Niang's minutes.

Bogey for H Barnes? Barnes can hit the 3 at a high clip as well, good team dude, good interior defender, decent wing defender, great playoff experience, younger, more athletic, better rebounder, has also faked being a number one option for a team before like bogey did (I feel like it gives good experience), only a few million more per year but what you get in added defense and rebounding in the playoffs might be worth it. Thoughts?
I would love to have him. Better defender than Bogey, better rebounder than Bogey, much more athletic, almost %40 at behind the arc, and most importantly he is 3 years younger than Bogey. He fixes many flaws in our squad but I don't think the front office will trade Bogey and mess our team's chemistry.

I think a guy like Gay makes a lot of sense, and it is what I had hoped we would target in the off-season. Someone who can defend and still shoot the ball a little. I think Gay is a bit late in his career, but hey, so is Bojan. If you can get 70%+ of the offensive player Bojan is along with double the defender he is that is a huge win. I had hoped we could just add that but they didn't go that route. They drafted future hopefully Gobert-lite. Ugh. I would have rather seen that pick bundled somehow to get a player for real for this year.

Seriously a Jerami Grant type player, even Grant before this season when he has turned into a premier player, when he was on the Nuggets, is exactly what we need.