Defensive Challenge in the Playoffs

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
I really wish Quin wasn't so stubborn with his rotations. I think Oni and Morgan could help solve some of our defensive issues but when we're healthy they can't even get on the floor. Not saying they should be getting a ton of minutes or even getting minutes every single night but there are situations and games where their skillsets could help us. I also think we'd be better off closing some games with Ingles over Bogey.

If we do add a wing defender then it better be through a trade for someone in the rotation. Anyone we sign will never see the floor because Quin's rotation and minutes pattern is set and he's not going to change it. Unless we get rid of someone currently in the rotation, any addition we make to the roster will never get on the court and will therefore be useless.
I agree but I wonder if replacing Niang's minutes makes a big enough impact... he's improved on that end. I've started to consider that maybe it should be Bojan that is moved to get a bigger impact on that end. If Niang can give us 70% of what Bojan then he can get a few extra minutes when shooting is a higher priority.

One of the realistic guys I come back to is Rudy Gay. Real PF size. Great rebounding. Shooting it pretty well. Better defender and capable of spending time on Lebron/Kawhi. The thing Bojan provides is amazing shooting... if Gay is able to space the floor does the worse shooting hurt us that much? Does the added defense make much of a difference if DM and Conley are hunted instead.

Just feels like that spot needs some variance... Bojan and Niang have similar benefits and drawbacks. I'm not sold on anything... just spitballing.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
I agree but I wonder if replacing Niang's minutes makes a big enough impact... he's improved on that end. I've started to consider that maybe it should be Bojan that is moved to get a bigger impact on that end. If Niang can give us 70% of what Bojan then he can get a few extra minutes when shooting is a higher priority.

One of the realistic guys I come back to is Rudy Gay. Real PF size. Great rebounding. Shooting it pretty well. Better defender and capable of spending time on Lebron/Kawhi. The thing Bojan provides is amazing shooting... if Gay is able to space the floor does the worse shooting hurt us that much? Does the added defense make much of a difference if DM and Conley are hunted instead.

Just feels like that spot needs some variance... Bojan and Niang have similar benefits and drawbacks. I'm not sold on anything... just spitballing.
SAS are in 6th and won 7 of their last 10.

MCarter

Bogey for H Barnes? Barnes can hit the 3 at a high clip as well, good team dude, good interior defender, decent wing defender, great playoff experience, younger, more athletic, better rebounder, has also faked being a number one option for a team before like bogey did (I feel like it gives good experience), only a few million more per year but what you get in added defense and rebounding in the playoffs might be worth it. Thoughts?

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
I'm not trying to get trade proposals... just theoretically are we better if we swapped another player for Bojan... or do we just need a bit player and do it with a buyout guy replacing Niang's minutes.

Alpy

Bogey for H Barnes? Barnes can hit the 3 at a high clip as well, good team dude, good interior defender, decent wing defender, great playoff experience, younger, more athletic, better rebounder, has also faked being a number one option for a team before like bogey did (I feel like it gives good experience), only a few million more per year but what you get in added defense and rebounding in the playoffs might be worth it. Thoughts?
I would love to have him. Better defender than Bogey, better rebounder than Bogey, much more athletic, almost %40 at behind the arc, and most importantly he is 3 years younger than Bogey. He fixes many flaws in our squad but I don't think the front office will trade Bogey and mess our team's chemistry.

LogGrad98

Contributor

I think a guy like Gay makes a lot of sense, and it is what I had hoped we would target in the off-season. Someone who can defend and still shoot the ball a little. I think Gay is a bit late in his career, but hey, so is Bojan. If you can get 70%+ of the offensive player Bojan is along with double the defender he is that is a huge win. I had hoped we could just add that but they didn't go that route. They drafted future hopefully Gobert-lite. Ugh. I would have rather seen that pick bundled somehow to get a player for real for this year.

Seriously a Jerami Grant type player, even Grant before this season when he has turned into a premier player, when he was on the Nuggets, is exactly what we need.

LogGrad98

Contributor
This is clearly an issue. So why isn’t Ingles closing instead of Bojan?
Maybe he doesn't want to. Serious conjecture here. I mean it is known he starts to struggle when his minutes go up, he gets slow on D and people start to blow by him. He ain't a spring chicken anymore. Maybe he has an agreement with QS, like, I will if you need me to, but you are better playing Bojan.

The other answer is maybe QS just sincerely thinks Bojan at the end of games is a better win condition.

IDK, I just wish Ingles would close more games. I wish he was the starter and finisher, and bring Conley off the bench at the start of games, and keep Bojan on the bench at the end of games and manage Ingles minutes in between.

LogGrad98

Contributor
I honestly believe Ingles is the heart of this team. He is the older wiser brother and I think everyone looks up to him. He needs to take a more prominent role imo.