What's new

DeMar DeRozan ESPN interview

It’s a business. Derozan seems like a pretty intelligent guy, i imagine he has to be at least self aware about his own poor performance in the playoffs. If I did a poor job when it mattered the most (even if I’m well liked) there’s a strong chance I’m getting canned. I think the trade will backfire but this is a high risk, high reward/loss strategy by the raptors. It’s bold and I like it. In the Jazz example, Deron was a good player but we did the smart thing and traded him when his value was high. Sucks for Deron that he found out on tv while working out, but I think we can agree we got a good trade out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Yeah, I went to far including dead kids, would have been better to just talk about a wealthy person's house burning down with their sentimental possessions destroyed.

Agreed. I would feel bad for him in that case too I think.

I do not hate. But you sound like DeRozan fan first and do not see how amazing this move is for Raptors. As I said, lets revisit this in spring when Raptors will win Eastern conference.
honestly I'm neutral when it comes to Derozan, I just admire loyalty and think Kawhi is selfish and won't stay. Though it's a business I'm ashamed of the raptors President and franchise for how things went down.

honestly I'm neutral when it comes to Derozan, I just admire loyalty and think Kawhi is selfish and won't stay. Though it's a business I'm ashamed of the raptors President and franchise for how things went down.

I think the Raps are very clear that Kawhi may not stick around. They simply decided that Derozan is not someone you can build around as a cornerstone so if Kawhi leaves and with Derozan gone they can start the rebuild with cap room. Given the NBA landscape it seems that the toughest contracts are the non max but still 20 plus mil type guys. They are not guys that will bring a title but they demand too much for being good role players (like Jingles and Favs). It is why loosing Hayward may be one of the best things that could have happened to us. I like it when teams and players show some loyalty but this move makes a lot of sense to me.

Society has changed and the league has changed with it. Internet and social media have had a huge role in this. They had basketball video games 20 and even 30 years ago, too, but players didn't lose their minds over what their ratings were. Hell, I wonder when the first 5-on-5 licensed game with real teams and players came out, how many NBA players actually knew what video games were. And even though you couldn't see ratings in Lakers versus Celtics and the NBA Playoffs, you knew they were in the game because ****ing Eric Leckner would miss 2 out 3 dunk attempts even if no one was around and Malone wouldn't ever miss, even in traffic. Players are more aware now, more concerned with their legacies, more sensitive to what the media and the fans are saying. The instant gratification era we live on doesn't help, and it's skewing even the perception of past players, let alone current ones. Every internet debate about players seems to end with millennials screaming "raaaangs." Nothing else seems to matter. Look at what happened to Nique's legacy. 25 years ago, he was considering to be an all-time great. Now, his lack of championships or even a Finals appearance means makes him an afterthought. I mean, how in the world did he manage to lose to those stacked Celtics and Pistons team with the great Jon Koncak as the best paid player on his team? He should've whined until they traded him to Houston or Boston or something. Cause, you know, raaangs.

It wasn't like that 20-30 years ago. I don't think Dominique ever thought he was a failure because he never made it past the second round. Players nowadays act as if their careers are 4 years long. Gotta contend at all times, gotta win rings as soon as possible, gotta climb some imaginary ladder of all-time greats. Carmelo kicked and screamed his way out of Denver to find what? Even less success in New York? He was 26 when he forced that trade. Twenty six! George left Indiana to get bounced in the first round and get abused by dude who looks like your alcoholic, party animal roommate from Down Under. Why? Raaaaangs! Heaven forbid you'd spend a decade playing for a non-superteam. There's a sense of entitlement. LeBron has been in win now mode since he was 22. That's how old players used to be when they played their first NBA game. LeBron had to have contenders built around him at that age as if he freaking peaked at 22 and his window was closing. Cavs traded every first round pick they could and signed over the hill veterans because LeBron couldn't just wait a couple of years for them to have cap space or develop youngsters. Raaaangs! Rangs now! What kind of a player doesn't have a championship by the time they're 25? Welcome to the new normal.

Fantastic post, I think unfortunately unless teams are given more power to lock players into longer contracts we will keep seeing this. A true, rare loyalty like Jazz had with Stockton and Malone will be hard to find in today's NBA. That's why I take declarations from players " I want to play all my career here" very cautiously... they may want to but when age catches up to them and skill set does not match the vision or the plans of the team it goes all sideways. AK wanted to play and finish his career with the Jazz. Yet when his contract expired Jazz never even approached him to offer a new contract. It's business at the end of the day.