What's new

DM on AD

oneye

2018 Award Winner

Just wondering peoples thoughts on it. Like I get his point but it’s just not the best comparison. I mean yes I can quit my job tomorrow and go somewhere else, but I also did not sign a contract to work the next 5 years with my company that guaranteed me both my job and full paycheck regardless of what happens over the next 5 years. I kind of get tired of this comparison from guys. I get the comparison but it’s a very flawed comparison. I don’t have the same luxury of a 5 year guaranteed money/employment contract that they do.

He’s under contract. Not only that, but it’s guaranteed. Most people can’t dictate being transferred to a different office or branch or whatever. And if they get fired they don’t get any more money.

He’s under contract. Not only that, but it’s guaranteed. Most people can’t dictate being transferred to a different office or branch or whatever. And if they get fired they don’t get any more money.
Yeah it’s just a terrible comparison made by players. The reality of NBA players, contracts, job security, and paycheck security in these contracts is not even remotely close to a normal job or working in a normal setting. DM is just siding on the players side (because we all have to be buddy buddy in the current NBA) obviously, but it’s just not a well thought out argument for what AD and other players are doing. I don’t really like that he thinks it’s okay to disregard agreed upon contracts that guys fully willingly choose to sign.

Just wondering peoples thoughts on it. Like I get his point but it’s just not the best comparison. I mean yes I can quit my job tomorrow and go somewhere else, but I also did not sign a contract to work the next 5 years with my company that guaranteed me both my job and full paycheck regardless of what happens over the next 5 years. I kind of get tired of this comparison from guys. I get the comparison but it’s a very flawed comparison. I don’t have the same luxury of a 5 year guaranteed money/employment contract that they do.

There's nothing flawed about it. AD told them he's not staying after his contract is up. He has that choice. He isnt asking to be let out of his agreement.

There's nothing flawed about it. AD told them he's not staying after his contract is up. He has that choice. He isnt asking to be let out of his agreement.
He’s publicly asking to be traded, and has been fined for doing so. I have a problem with the attitude contracts don’t matter while you’re under contract, or to compare it to quitting a normal job. It isn’t the same thing.

If you want to leave your team you essentially have two options.

1. Stay quiet and leave when your contract is up.
2. Ask for a trade

Either way someone is going to be mad at you.

And when you're top in your industry at anything, you have different powers in negotiations. Just the way it is.
You may be a CEO or manager at a company, but that doesn’t make you the owner. The NBA and teams are the ones you choose to work for in this business.

He’s publicly asking to be traded, and has been fined for doing so. I have a problem with the attitude contracts don’t matter while you’re under contract, or to compare it to quitting a normal job. It isn’t the same thing.
Its rumored Hayward asked to be traded privately.

Circumstances working out how they did, don't you wish he went public (if it were true)?

If you want to leave your team you essentially have two options.

1. Stay quiet and leave when your contract is up.
2. Ask for a trade

Either way someone is going to be mad at you.
I think a year and a half is a bit premature to start doing this. Why not demand a trade a year into a five year contract at this point if they don’t mean much?

Circumstances working out how they did, don't you wish he went public (if it were true)?
Not at all, if he did that was the Jazz bad. I also don’t believe that, Deron was traded before it even got to that point.

You may be a CEO or manager at a company, but that doesn’t make you the owner. The NBA and teams are the ones you choose to work for in this business.
Ok? Your company cant trade you to another company either, so why do this stupid analogy?

Given that DL was certain Hayward will stay with the Jazz up to the last minute I HIGHLY doubt that illogical rumor.

Not at all, if he did that was the Jazz bad. I also don’t believe that, Deron was traded before it even got to that point.
BS. If you could wind the clock back, you would want Hayward to make a public statement about wanting to be traded. It's the right thing to do as a player if your intention is to leave.

Given that DL was certain Hayward will stay with the Jazz up to the last minute I HIGHLY doubt that illogical rumor.
Illogical?

So it's not logical that Hayward asked for a trade, then was talked to by DL by backing off it? Maybe DL convinced him to think he wanted to stay, but in his heart of hearts he knew he wanted to leave. DL made the risky play to try and convince him to stay through team success, but he failed. The Jazz would have been better served if Hayward forced the issue like AD is doing.

BS. If you could wind the clock back, you would want Hayward to make a public statement about wanting to be traded. It's the right thing to do as a player if your intention is to leave.
There’s a difference between saying “I won’t re-sign” vs “trade me to this destination now” long before the contract expires.