What's new

DM on AD

Things that we wouldn’t give up, like Exum, Bradley, and Allen.
Joking aside, obviously we wouldn’t give up Gobert or Mitchell, and I don’t think they’d want Ingles, but our best offer would be Allen, Bradley, Exum, 3 first round picks, a couple seconds, and the draft rights to Tomic, plus taking back some of their garbage.

That’d be a huge swing for the fences move and I’d totally do it. I’d be a little skeptical about the third first rounder, but yolo.

I’d add a fourth first rounder and all of our second rounders for the next ten years if they gave us Holiday, too.

Disagree to disagree. If ballplayers are limited by a hard cap, they will go where the endorsement opportunities compensate for that. That would be large markets.
You mean like how green Bay is unable to compete in the NFL?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Disagree to disagree. If ballplayers are limited by a hard cap, they will go where the endorsement opportunities compensate for that. That would be large markets.
So rather than getting a huge contract and hella endorsement money in a small market you think they would go to new York or LA for the league minimum and hella endorsement money.

Makes sense.

Now that i read a few posts...

I can see a scenario where 6-10 teams leave the NBA or Lebron Chris Paul and .Rich Paul start their own super league for the best players. Shorter schedule, more pay per view games, take on a global tour. All star or Olympic like exhibition.

But nba won't stop existing . just pushed down to second level like the European leagues are now. It wont hurt my jazz fandhood one bit.
So they start trotting the globe, so to speak.

Hard cap?

I like the idea of a hard percentage of the cap that weights it much more heavily for the franchise player. Say 50% of the cap can be used on 1 player with a contact of at least 3 years. The 2nd highest paid player can command 15% of the cap. The remainder gets divvied up among the rest. Something like that. So you couldn't have a situation where Curry, Durrant, and Thompson all make close to Max, since by definition only one player could have a true "max" contract per team, and the rest step pretty significant down from there.

Or it could be stepped up depending on length of contact, so if you are willing you sign for 3 or 4 years you can get up to 30%, it goes to 40% if it's a 5 year contract, then can hit 50% anything longer. That way the money can still talk. A big problem right now with driving any kind of parity is that the money is so big it starts not meaning anything. We already see players are very happy making 20 Mill with 3 rings rather than holding out for 30 Mill somewhere else. The money is just too big to be a motivating factor anymore. Not like back when Jordan getting 30 Mill was viewed at astronomical and was reserved for the best player on the planet at the time. The step down then was dramatic when the next highest paid guy might make 8-10 Mill. The difference between 6 and 15 Mill, let's say, is significant. The difference between 20 and 30 begins to approach the realm of marginal.

Last edited:
The issue here is no longer being able to count on the cornerstone of your franchise.

They are the ones that put butts in seats.

Lots of players do wait for free agency and even give a heads up in private sometimes getting out a bit early. Seems like the right way to do it. Kawhi, AD et al are not acting in good faith in my opinion.

This is not unique to the nba. It's really rare for me to find an applicant that consistently stays at jobs longer than a year.

Sent from my SM-G930P using JazzFanz mobile app
This is why they need to take tampering far more seriously. Making statements like this effectively neuters the franchise in future negotiations. If I had an employee, contractor or not, giving away our negotiation terms in a public setting there would be real repercussions. They need stronger ways to address this, like suing for breach of contract in some way, or even just suing for loss of future revenue.

Durant led the league in endorsement money 5-6 years ago. When he played in Oklahoma City.

Large market endorsement money is overstated.
True but it's more about the perception than the actual money imo. They want notoriety. How much notoriety does Vivint provide anyway? And the money is overstated but it's not nothing.

True but it's more about the perception than the actual money imo. They want notoriety. How much notoriety does Vivint provide anyway? And the money is overstated but it's not nothing.

I think the money is more of an issue for stars or fringe all-stars, not your top 10-15 mega stars.

I do agree they want notoriety and maybe attention moreso. Which is ironic because most of these idiots bitch and moan as if they’d take the majority of media members out back and beat the **** out of them if they could and get away with it.

I think the money is more of an issue for stars or fringe all-stars, not your top 10-15 mega stars.

I do agree they want notoriety and maybe attention moreso. Which is ironic because most of these idiots bitch and moan as if they’d take the majority of media members out back and beat the **** out of them if they could and get away with it.
Yeah you're right about the money for the top guys, that's why imo any solution to this needs to drive a bigger divide between Max and non-max contacts.

You mean like how green Bay is unable to compete in the NFL?

Since maintaining a 45-person roster where you need 40 players to be active contributers is exactly the same as maintaining a 13-man roster where you plan on playing 8-9, and having 3 or 4 players as the focus of the team, these are exactly comparable. Well done. Especially since, to my understanding, NFL guaranteed salaries are easier to dispose of than guaranteed NBA salaries.

So rather than getting a huge contract and hella endorsement money in a small market you think they would go to new York or LA for the league minimum and hella endorsement money.

Makes sense.

Since, after the top one or two players, every player on the team would be making the minimum, yes, that's what would happen.

More than Lebron James? I find that difficult to believe.

It appears you’re right and that Durant was 2nd. I vividly recall looking at a site (Hoophype I believe which explains things) and seeing that Durant had both the most deals and most $ in deals. That said, Lebron played in Cleveland so...

Since maintaining a 45-person roster where you need 40 players to be active contributers is exactly the same as maintaining a 13-man roster where you plan on playing 8-9, and having 3 or 4 players as the focus of the team, these are exactly comparable. Well done.

Since, after the top one or two players, every player on the team would be making the minimum, yes, that's what would happen.

45 person roster lmfao.

53. It’s been 53 forever.
2twvkv.jpg