What's new

Do Not Shut Keyonte Down!

Should we shut down Keyonte?

• No

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Hell No

Votes: 21 80.8%

• Total voters
i'd probably shut him down. send him into the season with his confidence through the roof, feeling like he can conquer the world and dominate the nba. not to mention he looks like a pretty damn good player and there is no reason to risk needless injury in meaningless games.

i apologize in advance for this opinion.

flame away!
Do people really think that NBA guys stop playing basketball until training camp? Hendicks injured himself preparing for draft workouts. I have never understood the "oh noes a guy playing basketball may die if he plays five more minutes!"

i'd probably shut him down. send him into the season with his confidence through the roof, feeling like he can conquer the world and dominate the nba. not to mention he looks like a pretty damn good player and there is no reason to risk needless injury in meaningless games.

flame away!
I kind of feel the same way. It would suck though since Hendricks and Sensa aren't likely to play at all either and maybe Ochai is done.

Do people really think that NBA guys stop playing basketball until training camp? Hendicks injured himself preparing for draft workouts. I have never understood the "oh noes a guy playing basketball may die if he plays five more minutes!"
keep in mind, injury was a secondary reason. the primary reason was the one i mentioned first. also, i've already admitted that points similar to yours are good ones.

flame away!
this

Yeah, let him play.

Don't like the meaningless game argument. This is the closest thing he can get to a NBA game so it's great practice.
It’s funny because we don’t make these arguments about preseason when it’s young guys playing. But preseason would be meaningless. Not to mention a lot of his actual NBA minutes will be meaningless. These guys are playing pick up all the time.

And get Hendricks’ injured *** on the floor. I’m impatient.

It’s funny because we don’t make these arguments about preseason when it’s young guys playing. But preseason would be meaningless. Not to mention a lot of his actual NBA minutes will be meaningless. These guys are playing pick up all the time.

And get Hendricks’ injured *** on the floor. I’m impatient.
If he's hurt like Henny... then I would sit him... he appears to not be hurt. Getting reps now and if he did happen to get hurt would be better than in preseason as it would mess up your regular season. I might sit him the next game to make sure he is rested/recovered... but I wouldn't shut him down. If he was a second year guy I get it... you have a good enough sample to shut it down. I just want to see if its a little fluky with the hot shooting.

If he's hurt like Henny... then I would sit him... he appears to not be hurt. Getting reps now and if he did happen to get hurt would be better than in preseason as it would mess up your regular season. I might sit him the next game to make sure he is rested/recovered... but I wouldn't shut him down. If he was a second year guy I get it... you have a good enough sample to shut it down. I just want to see if its a little fluky with the hot shooting.
I mean, let's face it, he's not a 54% FGs and 44% 3pt guy. those sort of elite shooting numbers are not sustainable for any volume shooter, hence those numbers in particular are definitely at least a little "fluky". but they would be fluky for pretty much anybody - they are numbers that steph curry and kevin durant don't hit. he could go 3-13 and 1-7 from three in his next game, and that wouldn't mean is excellent play the first few games is a fluke, rather the law of averages is catching up to him - it might drop him to 48% and 38% which is would still be really good overall.

Last edited:
You can't really judge shooting in summer league, too much make/miss. But his shot chart is looking good. Super high 3 point rate and strong free throw rate that we saw in college. This is what intrigued. What's been different is that he has a higher proportion of shots at the rim. About 25% which is not bad. Between the increased spacing + better physical shape he's getting to the hoop more. He may not be a 50/40/90 guy, but with the shots he's taking he doesn't have to be a super elite shooter to have decent efficiency.

I mean, let's face it, he's not a 54% FGs and 44% 3pt guy. those sort of elite shooting numbers are not sustainable for any volume shooter, hence those numbers in particular are definitely at least a little "fluky". but they would be fluky for pretty much anybody - they are numbers that steph curry and kevin durant don't hit. he could go 3-13 and 1-7 from three in his next game, and that wouldn't mean is excellent play the first few games is a fluke, rather the law of averages is catching up to him - it might drop him to 48% and 38% which is would still be really good overall.
Right which is why I'm skeptical... I think I worded it in one post as its definitely flukey but also maybe not lol.

If he has 2 more games and the percentages caught up to him as you mentioned... well then I think he's been awesome but not "trade some rotation guys now" awesome. If he had a couple more games like he's had... well then I don't expect him to be 55/44 guy in the season.... but you may need to start planning around him being 25-30 minutes a night early on in the season. Its why I want to see it a couple more times to see how much it evens out.... if it doesn't we have a special rookie and a couple months to plan.

We could wait until the season but there are transaction windows and you want to make offers in those windows if you can. Maybe we get more for Sexton or THT in the season but hunting down a deal takes time so start early. I just wasn't really planning on him playing much this year... thought he'd be a G League guy.

You can't really judge shooting in summer league, too much make/miss. But his shot chart is looking good. Super high 3 point rate and strong free throw rate that we saw in college. This is what intrigued. What's been different is that he has a higher proportion of shots at the rim. About 25% which is not bad. Between the increased spacing + better physical shape he's getting to the hoop more. He may not be a 50/40/90 guy, but with the shots he's taking he doesn't have to be a super elite shooter to have decent efficiency.
I think you can judge it a little. The results are obviously amazing... but he also just shoots it so effortlessly and comfortably and the makes are really clean. But yeah... I'd like a bigger sample if possible... so give me 2-3 more games to see it. At the rate he cranks em out we should have a decent sample size to make some okay surface judgements.

I also think he is picking things up and improving... seemed like every 2 pointer he shot in SLC got blocked... has had a bunch of nice finishes around the basket. I would just want as much data to plan the next couple months as he may be further down the road than I personally thought.

In response to the OP....what is the argument to not play him more? Reps, reps, and more reps is what he needs.