What's new

Do you want our pick to convey this year?

Do you want our pick to convey to OKC this year?

• Yes, and hopefully make some noise in the play in/play offs

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • No, I want a Top 10 pick this year!

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • Undecided/No Strong Preference

Votes: 21 21.9%

• Total voters
I'm about to change my stance on this one. Not looking so pretty these days.

Convey dat ****!

Sent from my OPD2203 using Tapatalk

Im fully on board keeping it now. We are in full tank mode to the end of the year. This will be the year we get lucky and win the lottery because its rough at the top.

The Jazz are now 3.5 games back of the play in and 1 game ahead of the 9th/10th worst record.

Getting to the 9th worst pick could prove to be critical. With the 10th worst record we have almost a 20% chance of losing the pick because someone could jump us. With the 9th worst record it’s less than 4%.

I still want the pick to convey - I'd rather see us play + win with the young guys and have the extra FRP in 2025. But that looks pretty unlikely at this point.

Oh well, it will make May/June more interesting.

Trae out for a few weeks. The tank is getting dicey despite our best efforts.
The head to head matchups will be critical. They also are still in the play in so if they magically won their games would still be a shot. Loads may need to be managed.

Trae out for a few weeks. The tank is getting dicey despite our best efforts.
This is why ****ing around and waiting until the trade deadline to sell was stupid this year and last year. If you commit just a few weeks earlier there is no way we win that Okc game and probably not the bucks game either. Turn those 2 games into losses and we are sitting pretty good right now instead of having to sweat this thing. Now I'm keeping a close eye on the raptors who should be tanking to keep their pick but aren't sending that signal. Even though they have a lot of games to make up against us I like what I'm seeing from them. Over the last few weeks they have gone from basically no bench to a solid bench with Bruce Brown, Olynyk and Dick starting to play well for them.

This is why ****ing around and waiting until the trade deadline to sell was stupid this year and last year. If you commit just a few weeks earlier there is no way we win that Okc game and probably not the bucks game either. Turn those 2 games into losses and we are sitting pretty good right now instead of having to sweat this thing. Now I'm keeping a close eye on the raptors who should be tanking to keep their pick but aren't sending that signal. Even though they have a lot of games to make up against us I like what I'm seeing from them. Over the last few weeks they have gone from basically no bench to a solid bench with Bruce Brown, Olynyk and Dick starting to play well for them.

I've been on record saying that the fruits of tanking are often overrated....but even agree about this idea of "tanking properly". I don't mean that you have to go scorched earth and trade everything, but this dance of competing for half the season only to give up and tank the second half just isn't it....especially two years in a row. Even if there was no pick protection to worry about, you would still want the 7th pick instead of the 11th pick. I don't think it's worthless to compete even for a small goal like the play in....but it is worthless to do that and quit half way through.

My big reason to convey is based on the 2026 draft. If it waits to convey until 2026, then we have no first round pick and our picks swaps with Minnesota and Cleveland that year become 100% useless. We go from having the best pick of the three teams to having none at all.

My big reason to convey is based on the 2026 draft. If it waits to convey until 2026, then we have no first round pick and our picks swaps with Minnesota and Cleveland that year become 100% useless. We go from having the best pick of the three teams to having none at all.
this to me is the only valid reason to want to convey. BUT the chances that Minny and Cleveland are so bad that the swap becomes meaningful is low imo. Anyone can have an injury plagued season though. Maybe the Cavs decide to ride out Donovan's deal until FA (I think they move him this offseason) and lose him for nothing? Are they a bottom 10 team then?

I would guess that we are more likely the worse of the 3 teams there but the low probability that one of those teams is terrible and you cost yourself a top 7-8 pick swap is the only catastrophic result. I think the chances that one of those teams are bad and hit lottery luck would be like less than 5%-10% chance?

I'm fine with winning a few games and conveying the pick in a week draft, then using that cap space this summer and picking up a draft pick next year.

Going back to the deadline I really didn’t think we could trade enough (within reason) to drop squarely into the top 10.

Boy was I wrong. #7-8 feels entirely possible if we keep this up.

Going back to the deadline I really didn’t think we could trade enough (within reason) to drop squarely into the top 10.

Boy was I wrong. #7-8 feels entirely possible if we keep this up.
It’d be a long shot that one of Toronto or Brooklyn passes us. Toronto is solid but Brooklyn is trash right now. 4 games up with 23 to go is a big gap.

I said we wouldnt win more than 10 games to send the season, it's looking really good

this to me is the only valid reason to want to convey. BUT the chances that Minny and Cleveland are so bad that the swap becomes meaningful is low imo. Anyone can have an injury plagued season though. Maybe the Cavs decide to ride out Donovan's deal until FA (I think they move him this offseason) and lose him for nothing? Are they a bottom 10 team then?

I would guess that we are more likely the worse of the 3 teams there but the low probability that one of those teams is terrible and you cost yourself a top 7-8 pick swap is the only catastrophic result. I think the chances that one of those teams are bad and hit lottery luck would be like less than 5%-10% chance?
If we convey we also release 1 additional pick from trade restrictions and are able to deal our own 2025 or 2026 pick, both of which would be very valuable chips to bargain with. But that benefit is realized only if we plan to really start building up before that 2026 draft.

If we stay put or tear it down further, then we are almost guaranteed to lose in conveying this year.

If we convey we also release 1 additional pick from trade restrictions and are able to deal our own 2025 or 2026 pick, both of which would be very valuable chips to bargain with. But that benefit is realized only if we plan to really start building up before that 2026 draft.

If we stay put or tear it down further, then we are almost guaranteed to lose in conveying this year.
At this point I want to keep the pick and think we will keep the pick. But this is a good reason for wanting to convey it. It also means our guys and particularly our young guys play well and win us a lot of games. Which is obviously great for us and means we have a great future and those were good picks which is huge and worth a lot.

We addressed this though. We have 8 tradeable picks from other teams already. We have 2 of our own picks we could trade. On draft night if the pick doesn't convey we will have a top 10 pick plus 10 other picks to trade. There are no trades on the horizon that will require that many picks. If we are getting player or players THAT good then our 2025 and 2026 picks wouldn't be that valuable. I'd argue a top 10 pick this year (maybe top 4 with some luck) is a better trade chip even in a poor draft than our 2025 or 2026 pick... which we absolutely would have some protections on unless we were getting like Luka.

I think even on trade value the top 10 pick is a more tradeable/valuable chip that we would more realistically trade. Someone might prefer our 2028 1st unprotected but we'd be less likely to move that imo.

For me the only valid argument for team convey is the swap in 2026. The swap value depends on Minny or Cavs being terrible. It can happen... its a valid concern... its just not something I would predict will happen. I would bet pretty large sums of money that neither team is bottom 8 next year.