What's new

Does Dennis Lindsey get canned if this season is botched?

If the Jazz fail to make the playoffs this year yes heads should roll. The front office should be fired and major pieces should be traded. Heck, I can't imagine a player like Gordon wanting to spend his entire team in a cluster **** of a franchise that never makes the playoffs.

We are quickly becoming a perennial non-playoff team.

Playoffs or bust this season.

A fringe benefit about this year. No matter how it goes some people are going to get called out.

When they demanded a trade. At which point Lindsay traded a max contract player for trash bags.

So you think Favors is trash bags?

IINM, the DWill trade was made by KOC, not Lindsey.

Also we would be in a baaaad place if we gave DWill that max contract. Great move, and weird point cause it was KOC.

I realized that after I posted. So we were both wrong.

Pretty sure he was referring to Kanter. Either way it was a terrible point.

I like the idea of being more process focused, instead of focusing on the results. This team is in a much better position to succeed long term today than it was when DL took over. I'll be more focused this year on the progress of Lyles, Exum, Hood, and Gobert. If these guys all take a step forward, then I think this season is a success regardless.

I'd be stunned if DL was fired as a result of this season, even if it turns out disastrous (which it won't). Ownership can see the good job he's doing. I don't think they will blame him for things out of his control. And on top of all of it, I think the Jazz have the most loyal ownership group in the NBA. Working for the Jazz is far more secure than most pro sports franchises.

Whether we don't make the playoffs due to injuries, being bad, or whatever the reason is. Do you see Lindsey getting the boot if we don't make it to the playoffs this year and/or Gordon leaving for nothing the following off-season?

No. The Jazz are not your typical one and two years to get it done or here's the door type of team. Lindsey will be in this job as long as we wants it.

Also, you are under some odd impression that his first few seasons were designed around making the playoffs and not building and evaluating our core.

Interesting question. Good thing we wont ever have to find out or worry about the answer.

Next equally important question.

If Jazz go undefeated this season will Lindsey be regarded as the greatest GM ever?

It's weird how we treat Lindsey. He took a team with two all stars, a 20/10 center, three top ten picks and turned it into a team that hasn't made the playoffs in years...and we cheered him the whole way.

Lindsey's legacy is Exum. If Exum doesn't pan out, Lindsey was a colossal failure. If Exum becomes a star, then Lindsey is a genius.

I don't think Lindsey is going anywhere this year or next. BUT, if we don't make the playoffs I could see Hill and Hayward leaving and we'd be screwed at that point. We'd have to move Favors and tank again.

Big year for Utah.

17/9 is not 20/10.

If we miss the playoffs, he will be on thin ice. If Hayward and Hill were to leave at the start of 2017 free agency, I could see a change. That would be 3 straight years moving sideways, we lost a lottery pick for nothing (1 year of Hill) and we lost the current face of the franchise.

Sent from my VS980 4G using JazzFanz mobile app

If we miss the playoffs, he will be on thin ice. If Hayward and Hill were to leave at the start of 2017 free agency, I could see a change. That would be 3 straight years moving sideways, we lost a lottery pick for nothing (1 year of Hill) and we lost the current face of the franchise.

Sent from my VS980 4G using JazzFanz mobile app

It has been one year of moving sideways. The two years before that were about building a base. It was forward progress.

It has been one year of moving sideways. The two years before that were about building a base. It was forward progress.

Gotta agree with Stoked here. 2013, bottomed out in Corbin's last season and tanked. 2014 was the first real year of player development for the young guns, and a shift in philosophy from Kanter to Gobert in the starting lineup. End of the year left Jazzfanz very hopeful. 2015 - Exum got hurt. Burks got hurt. Favors got hurt. Gobert got hurt. Burke, Neto Mack was the worst group of PGs in the league. Defense struggled with all those factors and the Jazz sucked hairy *** in the last 5 minutes all year long. Despite all that, Gobert is still impactful when healthy and getting meaningful minutes, Hood, Lyles and Neto all showed big strides as rotation players, their point differential was very good and they missed the playoffs by two games.

Snyder is locked up long term, everyone is under contract, and hopefully Gobert, Exum and Burks come back healthy and #hungry. They already added George Hill and have money for free agency (if they choose to use it.) There's plenty of reasons to believe this team is headed in the right direction. They didn't meet expectations last year, but it looks like DL is actively trying to fix the Jazz shortcomings.

aGAgBuw.png

fixed

I genuinely can't imagine us missing the playoffs, short of Hayward or Favors tearing their ACLs. Even then, I still don't mind our chances.

With an *averagely* healthy season, I like our playoff chances as much as any western team outside of GSW, San Antonio, and the Clippers.

I genuinely can't imagine us missing the playoffs, short of Hayward or Favors tearing their ACLs. Even then, I still don't mind our chances.

With an *averagely* healthy season, I like our playoff chances as much as any western team outside of GSW, San Antonio, and the Clippers.

I love this post and feel the same exact way. If we can get back that fire that we had on defense two years ago, and Lyles can improve a little bit on defense, and Exum has improved some from two years ago, I literally think we can win 52-54 games.

I love this post and feel the same exact way. If we can get back that fire that we had on defense two years ago, and Lyles can improve a little bit on defense, and Exum has improved some from two years ago, I literally think we can win 52-54 games.

If we can recapture the health and defense from the latter half of the 2014-15 season, and then add Hill and Deng to that group, we could honestly be looking at the #1 defense in over a decade. Seriously, a historic defense.

Also, a Hill-Hood-Hayward combo (Triple H) on offense will be great. They should be able to identify mismatches quickly and exploit them. And there will be plenty of mismatches. Our offense is already better. If Lyles takes a step forward and Rudy gets a move...... ****, excited, we could definitely be looking at a 52-55 win team.

Three posts in a row of awesome feelgoodyness.
Can't wait for the season to start

I honestly think if Lyles can improve from a D to a C+ on defense, and Exum is light years ahead of his rookie year and looks more like he did in that one SL game from last year, and we are relatively pretty damn healthy, and we get Deng, we could maybe even win 55-58 games.

That's what I am talking about!!!!!!!

I am glad that [MENTION=840]fishonjazz[/MENTION], [MENTION=249]NAOS[/MENTION], [MENTION=848]dalamon[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3213]Cunning Linguist[/MENTION] are already on the 2016/17 bandwagon!!!