What's new

Donovan’s last day as Jazzman

Raja Bell on The Ringer podcast: "Donovan's coming out and making it public. That doesn't have to be anything anyone has to know, even if you are frustrated like Donovan. If you really care about that organization and your relationship is really healthy.......It doesn't come out, even if you are upset and it got ****ed up, I think there's something there, I'm not sure how much, but it shouldn't get out."
Yeah, this is my main issue with Donovan. The past two public incidents (Rudy and now trainers) show Donovan is making huge power moves to gain control of the organization. I'm not a over-reactionary moron like oneye, so I don't think it's part of a master plan to force his way to NYC,.

All I think it is is simply Donovan has to control the narrative at every possible turn for his brand. The league has to know that he is being held out against his will and he isn't soft. "Oh the training staff called the injury minor to protect my medicals and do me a solid, but wait, what if people think Im soft because I've been out so long, better let everyone know it's actually not minor and I'm totally not soft at all."

Honestly I think Donovan knows Utah is going to win this series without him and that would crush his narrative of being the alpha/best player on the team and shift it to Rudy. There's no way in hell Donovan is going to let that happen, so he threw the medical team under the bus to pressure the organization to play him.

Yeah, this is my main issue with Donovan. The past two public incidents (Rudy and now trainers) show Donovan is making huge power moves to gain control of the organization. I'm not a over-reactionary moron like oneye, so I don't think it's part of a master plan to force his way to NYC,.

All I think it is is simply Donovan has to control the narrative at every possible turn for his brand. The league has to know that he is being held out against his will and he isn't soft. "Oh the training staff called the injury minor to protect my medicals and do me a solid, but wait, what if people think Im soft because I've been out so long, better let everyone know it's actually not minor and I'm totally not soft at all."

Honestly I think Donovan knows Utah is going to win this series without him and that would crush his narrative of being the alpha/best player on the team and shift it to Rudy. There's no way in hell Donovan is going to let that happen, so he threw the medical team under the bus to pressure the organization to play him.
I don't always say this, but here it is.

Listen to Cy, not cyclops on this one.

Donovan is good at brand management and is active out there and uses social media and other means to get his message out there.

I don't think this is all about his brand though. I think DM is a competitive person and he really really wants to win. I think he felt he was well enough to play in the Playoffs because that's the whole reason they play the regular season is to get here. Now that it matters he wants out there even if he's not 100% yet. We all know usually the Jazz will be conservative in favor of stars health for the most part lately, at least that is my impression. I think DM wants to win so bad and he felt that if he was playing we would have won game 1. We really should have swept this series, but one loss is acceptable too, but losing the first one with home court really is frustrating.

My hope is that this loss lights a fire under the whole team and the come out and destroy for the next 4.

In the words of coach Yoast " Run it up Herman, leave no doubt"

You think he's over-reacting because its the best player on your team he's talking about.
No... it's because he's making assumptions with zero sources. Do you think J-Will knows Mitchell and would know exactly what he's thinking? Did J-Will speak with Mitchell about this? lol

Some of the people on this board are so melodramatic because Bordomn Haywood screwed us over. Not every player is a POS like Haywood.

No... it's because he's making assumptions with zero sources. Do you think J-Will knows Mitchell and would know exactly what he's thinking? Did J-Will speak with Mitchell about this? lol

Some of the people on this board are so melodramatic because Bordomn Haywood screwed us over. Not every player is a POS like Haywood.
Also, I think one eye misheard what was said there. The guy on the left of that video is Alan Kahn and he works for MSG Networks and is a huge Knicks fan. His entire shtick in that segment is “the Knicks are watching this closely” and saying he’s never happy in SLC. Yeah because he wants him on the Knicks, and the guy in the middle actually calls him out on what’s pretty obvious he’s trying to do. The guy in the middle says “it sounds like you’re trying to get him to go to New York” to the Alan Kahn guy, not it sounds like he wants to go there.

I think this is pretty much correct, I actually think it’s Donovan simply trying to gain a lot of power over the organization. Tony mentioned this on the radio yesterday essentially saying he thinks the Jazz are somewhat uncomfortable and haven’t had a star like Donovan and they need to adjust to that and get used to it. The only reporter who actually knows anything making a huge deal about it is Windhorst. Tim McMahon wrote the original article with him and has said “this is a totally salvageable situation” and when Spence asked him if Kawhi comparisons were a little aggressive McMahon said “First off they’re extremely aggressive and this is the polar opposite situation, and it’s a drastic over-reaction to think things are crumbling over this disagreement”.

The place I think one eye is kind of right is, Donovan is a bit of a diva, and the organization is learning he is not an “in house” kind of guy and more of a “keep my happy or I’ll publicly air my issues” kind of guy. I don’t love that but it does seem like that’s what it’s going to be.

It was a really stupid thing the medical staff/organization did holding out donovan. Sometimes the jazz org does really stupid, bizarre things and of course it blows up in their face. They are always just getting a little too cute. I was hoping that would change with the new owner. If we lost this series, the fallout from this would be catastrophic. I don't know how you'd keep the team together tbh. Trades would be made, probably not Donovan but i could see it leading to his eventual trade in a couple seasons. I really think it would be that bad...

That being said, everyone really needs to calm down. Because we are not going to lose this series. We're going to win it in 6 and everything will be fine. We could have won it in 4, I really believe we would have swept them, but now it'll be 6 and it won't be the end of the world.

And we're going to beat the Mavs, or the clippers, too.

Everyone has these ideas there is some conspiracy afoot whether to force his way to NY or to stage a coup gangland-style. I think that's all ********. I think he's a kid, reacting as a kid would when he didn't get something he wanted. He vented, and frankly it was kind of a light vent at that. There is no grand power-play, there is no conspiracy to force a move to NY. There is a player who chose to use his own team to rehab, the Jazz medical team gave them the benefit of the doubt when they said he was ready to go before practices, so they removed him from the injured list. Then when he showed some signs that concerned the Jazz's own medical staff, they scratched him trying to protect their $200 million investment. They didn't handle it well so it pissed everyone off, and rightfully so, so Donovan vented then made it clear he wanted to play no matter what and the Jazz realized they screwed the pooch on the whole thing so they relented and said he is playing tonight.

That's it.

Now the jazz org needs to do some damage control and, at least behind the scenes, iron **** out. And we can only hope they do this, since they refuse to ever provide any public info, instead for some reason preferring to let the cess pool of the internet fester rather than release a 3-sentence statement that could literally clean it all up. Yes they are dumb as **** when it comes to communication, apparently both internally and externally.

Either way Donovan plays tonight and we find out, if he's fine and does well then his medical team was likely right, and if he aggravates the ankle causing more missed time then the Jazz medical team was right.

Either way he's here under contract and not trying to force his way out and not trying to stage a coup. He just wants to play. And he's a kid so he sometimes does stupid **** on social media as everyone does. Social media is the great idiot equalizer. Makes everyone look stupid at one point or another.

Everyone has these ideas there is some conspiracy afoot whether to force his way to NY or to stage a coup gangland-style. I think that's all ********. I think he's a kid, reacting as a kid would when he didn't get something he wanted. He vented, and frankly it was kind of a light vent at that. There is no grand power-play, there is no conspiracy to force a move to NY. There is a player who chose to use his own team to rehab, the Jazz medical team gave them the benefit of the doubt when they said he was ready to go before practices, so they removed him from the injured list. Then when he showed some signs that concerned the Jazz's own medical staff, they scratched him trying to protect their $200 million investment. They didn't handle it well so it pissed everyone off, and rightfully so, so Donovan vented then made it clear he wanted to play no matter what and the Jazz realized they screwed the pooch on the whole thing so they relented and said he is playing tonight.

That's it.

Now the jazz org needs to do some damage control and, at least behind the scenes, iron **** out. And we can only hope they do this, since they refuse to ever provide any public info, instead for some reason preferring to let the cess pool of the internet fester rather than release a 3-sentence statement that could literally clean it all up. Yes they are dumb as **** when it comes to communication, apparently both internally and externally.

Either way Donovan plays tonight and we find out, if he's fine and does well then his medical team was likely right, and if he aggravates the ankle causing more missed time then the Jazz medical team was right.

Either way he's here under contract and not trying to force his way out and not trying to stage a coup. He just wants to play. And he's a kid so he sometimes does stupid **** on social media as everyone does. Social media is the great idiot equalizer. Makes everyone look stupid at one point or another.
I think everyone's main issue with Donovan's periodic drama is mainly how public he makes it. I think in most the instances Donovan has been upset, we can all understand why he would be upset, I just think a lot of the drama could be avoided if he simply went to the front office and told them how upset he was instead of telling ESPN how upset he is. I can assure you Ryan Smith has an open ear and phone line for Donovan to voice concerns he has. I hope he can mature into that and handling himself better in tense situations or when he's upset.

As for how the Jazz handle things, I get we would like them to comment, but the Rudy/Donovan stuff ended up being worked through internally. Had they came out and said something it could have offended both of them. If you say something here you could offend Donovan or your entire medical staff. You don't need either, especially right now. You can't publicly comment every time a player has an issue. It's why it would be much more beneficial to everyone if Donovan pitched his fits internally instead of running to the media and causing the problem to get worse. This didn't have to happen, both from a staff perspective and a Donovan perspective. I would be more concerned of it being long lasting if the Jazz staff were pushing him out there when he didn't want to go like the Kawhi stuff. But they were literally trying to protect him, obviously to a fault almost. The Jazz staff want to win the game, they want Donovan to play, they just want him to be okay short and long term as well.

As an FYI, Joe was asked about Donovan not playing game 1 today after shoot-around and his quote was "It was a bit of a surprise, but I wasn't going to question the medical staff's decision".

I tend to agree this isn't a big deal at all really. Give Donovan a huge welcome back at introductions for anyone going to the game tonight everyone!!!

Andy Larsen is the one who asked Joe about it today after shootaround. Andy's question was basically is he thought the process was strange, if they were surprised, and what his opinion was on what happened. Joes full response was:

He kind of snarkily started off "You're not in the room every day and we're here, and I'm not telling you anything so ha ha" and then laughed. Then he went to a serious note and said: "Obviously him not playing was a bit of a surprise, I think everyone said that, but again I'm not gonna ever question the medical staff or their decisions. Because at the end of the day they have the players best health and interest in mind. I mean what does any staff member get out of holding a player out? There's obviously no vested interest in them holding a player out. I'm not in the big boy meetings with the upper echelon, but obviously the staff saw something they didn't like and they held him out."

It felt like Joe's answer was very supportive of the medical staff to me. Video here if you'd like to watch https://www.nba.com/jazz/video/teams/jazz/2021/05/26/328006/1622057103678-joe-328006

Andy Larsen is the one who asked Joe about it today after shootaround. Andy's question was basically is he thought the process was strange, if they were surprised, and what his opinion was on what happened. Joes full response was:

He kind of snarkily started off "You're not in the room every day and we're here, and I'm not telling you anything so ha ha" and then laughed. Then he went to a serious note and said: "Obviously him not playing was a bit of a surprise, I think everyone said that, but again I'm not gonna ever question the medical staff or their decisions. Because at the end of the day they have the players best health and interest in mind. I mean what does any staff member get out of holding a player out? There's obviously no vested interest in them holding a player out. I'm not in the big boy meetings with the upper echelon, but obviously the staff saw something they didn't like and they held him out."

It felt like Joe's answer was very supportive of the medical staff to me. Video here if you'd like to watch https://www.nba.com/jazz/video/teams/jazz/2021/05/26/328006/1622057103678-joe-328006
As I've said.......we have one super diva drama queen on the team and his name is Donovan Mitchell.

As I've said.......we have one super diva drama queen on the team and his name is Donovan Mitchell.
Remarkably little drama from what you're calling a "super diva drama queen."

He didn't talk to Gobert for a while.

He indicated that he wanted to play in a playoff game when the team held him out.

Whoa, so much drama.

Remarkably little drama from what you're calling a "super diva drama queen."

He didn't talk to Gobert for a while.

He indicated that he wanted to play in a playoff game when the team held him out.

Whoa, so much drama.
He drug that out for 4 months with the Rudy stuff, threw a fit and changed all his social media profile pictures over social media comments from some anonymous idiots, and yes now threw another public fit and threw the medical team under the bus. It might not stick out so much if it wasn’t just him doing it or if multiple players had an issue. This has been the last year. Joe’s comments there are pretty strong support of the medical staff he threw a fit over. He’s gotten a big head and become a Kyrie/KD type diva. Joe is a grown up. Donovan is a fit throwing child. And obviously him not playing impacted Joe the most, it made him a starter that game.

He drug that out for 4 months with the Rudy stuff, threw a fit and changed all his social media profile pictures over social media comments from some anonymous idiots, and yes now threw another public fit and threw the medical team under the bus. It might not stick out so much if it wasn’t just him doing it or if multiple players had an issue. This has been the last year. Joe’s comments there are pretty strong support of the medical staff he threw a fit over. He’s gotten a big head and become a Kyrie/KD type diva.
no he hasn't

you're silly

no he hasn't

you're silly
He did every one of those things lol. Any time he gets a little upset he throws a fit. For a guy who’s been with an organization that put him in a position to make the post season every damn year of his career, he’s quite ungrateful with all he’s done to ruin the good situation he’s in.

Jesus, one eye is insufferable. Worst poster on jazzfanz

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I haven't posted on JazzFanz since it crashed 11 or 12 years ago.

But I have to ask, does anybody else get a Mark David Chapman vibe from oneeye?

If I'm offbase here I apologise and will return to where I've been the last 11 or so years, that or until we're all subpoenaed to testify.