What's new

Donovan Mitchell on Woj's Podcast

Ain't going to happen, but it would be funny if PG was on the Jazz team that went to the Finals since many thought he should have been drafted by the Jazz instead of Hayward.

My biggest fear, tbh, is Donovan becomes disheartened if he can't draw any stars to Utah. I remember Deron being all gung-ho when he was drafted and talking about bringing players to Utah. Of course, DM is a much bigger star and has that "it" factor. I think people genuinely want to be around him. So maybe we don't get a star like PG. But maybe another very good vet wants to join and puts Utah on his trading or free agent list (like Mirotic did).

Ain't going to happen, but it would be funny if PG was on the Jazz team that went to the Finals since many thought he should have been drafted by the Jazz instead of Hayward.

My biggest fear, tbh, is Donovan becomes disheartened if he can't draw any stars to Utah. I remember Deron being all gung-ho when he was drafted and talking about bringing players to Utah. Of course, DM is a much bigger star and has that "it" factor. I think people genuinely want to be around him. So maybe we don't get a star like PG. But maybe another very good vet wants to join and puts Utah on his trading or free agent list (like Mirotic did).

DWill was a top-2 PG in the league and Team USA.

DWill was a top-2 PG in the league and Team USA.

He was always in the shadow of Chris Paul and any number of guards. He was never a commercial success either. Partly because he was in Utah, partly because he was pretty soft spoken.

He was always in the shadow of Chris Paul and any number of guards. He was never a commercial success either. Partly because he was in Utah, partly because he was pretty soft spoken.
While he was in Utah and CP was in NO, he really wasn't in Chris Paul's shadow. Utah went to the Conference finals. Deron was killing CP3 heads-up. You're looking at things in hindsight. That's not what we were seeing in 2007. We felt like we won the **** out of that draft.

While he was in Utah and CP was in NO, he really wasn't in Chris Paul's shadow. Utah went to the Conference finals. Deron was killing CP3 heads-up. You're looking at things in hindsight. That's not what we were seeing in 2007. We felt like we won the **** out of that draft.

As Jazz fans, absolutely. We were decidedly in the minority. And with the options available we DID win that draft.

Even in his best year I don't think Deron was getting the coverage Mitchell is getting this year. I'm not sure Utah has any frame of reference for what happened this year. You can say Karl Malone, but it took 10 or so years before he was a household name.

The big test will be nationally televised appearances next year.

Mitchell seems like a guy more intent on keeping worthy players here than luring big names. When asked on First Take about having a super team, he said he preferred building like what we are doing now.

I think the only way you rub DM wrong is of you trade somebody he likes. For example - trading "my guy" Rubio would be a very poor decision by DL and worse than missing out on a PG. DM has been very vocal about his relationship with Rubio.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Mitchell seems like a guy more intent on keeping worthy players here than luring big names. When asked on First Take about having a super team, he said he preferred building like what we are doing now.

I think the only way you rub DM wrong is of you trade somebody he likes. For example - trading "my guy" Rubio would be a very poor decision by DL and worse than missing out on a PG. DM has been very vocal about his relationship with Rubio.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Agreed. Utah is, at it's core, starting to become Spurs-like as an organization. Great coaching, scouting, and player development. Good cap management and trade execution. Keeping a pulse on the lockerroom and getting those players who don't want to be here off the team. San Antonio got fantastically "lucky" with Tim Duncan being who he was and I would argue that Utah did the same with Donovan. Utah will not be a hot FA destination, but will be a place where players that want to win can come and do so. I trust Lindsey enough to do his thing and Quin to make the most out of his players' talents.

Utah, Rudy, and DM are eye-to-eye on a lot of things, I think, and that will serve us well. If Utah got a PG type of player, great! If not, I'm not crying. We still have Rubio, Ingles, Royce, Jae, and the rest of our crew to get things done. We'll continue to build as we have been and keep going. We made Gordon Hayward to a large degree. We will make another. Rudy and DM blossomed because they wanted to be better. If we see another player like that? Hey, I'm all good with that.

Everyone understands that that team NEVER HAD CAP SPACE, right?

On top of that they were somewhat dysfunctional, the organization/coaching staff was in the Stone Age, and Deron wasn't exactly the most fun or widely beloved player.

Last edited:
Woj is a terrific interviewer, with a skill for asking interesting questions. Couple him with one of the best interviews in pro sports, and the 40 minutes just flies by.

I liked the tidbit where Donovan mentions being taken out of public school by his parents and placed in a private school, where he was one of the few "African Americans" in that environment. He said the first time he was invited to a friend's house, he "got lost four times looking for the bathroom." It was in that school that he learned public speaking.

DM luring a guy like Paul George after his rookie season would be nothing short of legendary.

Feels way too good to be true, so I'm not going to spend much time worrying about it.

Everyone understands that that team NEVER HAD CAP SPACE, right?

On top of that they were somewhat dysfunctional, the organization/coaching staff was in the Stone Age, and Deron wasn't exactly the most fun or widely beloved player, right?

I forgot about the AK-47 contract fueled salary cap hell. Fun times.

When asked about recruiting he says "Coach P and Coach Johnson taught me some things" and Woj laughs. Those were the guys who got fired for arranging the payments to players and their families lol.
Which is totally fine in the NBA, right? Thanks Coach P and J.