What's new

Donovan Mitchell Trade Threads

Our best chance at a great trade package is if NY lands in the top 4. I can see them being willing to give that up plus a bunch more for Donovan. Other teams are looking at it as a 3 year period where they might keep him... NY would be looking at it as 7-10 years of Donovan. I still think they want to keep RJ which is fine if we get everything else.

I agree with this. I either want RJ included or everything else. They may be willing to trade RJ who knows. We take back Toppin and Quickley plus extra picks if they insist on keeping RJ.

I honestly don't think the front office is willing to trade Donovan at this point unless he requests it.

The #3 and #6 picks in this year's draft are worth more than Hunter and Collins. Top 4 is pretty strong. It drops off but there are some decent upside gambles in the middle of the lotto.

I do think there are likely better deals we can get. You can flip Hart and Hayes is likely a bust but a buy super low flyer.
I get what you are saying but we don’t do that deal for Hart and Hayes we do it to have two top-6 picks in the draft this year.

My bad, I skim read that and totally missed it was 2 top ten pick this year.

My bad, I skim read that and totally missed it was 2 top ten pick this year.
I think if you go scorched earth and trade Don and Rudy that you need at least 1 or 2 exciting prospects this year to keep pique the fans interest.

I think if you go scorched earth and trade Don and Rudy that you need at least 1 or 2 exciting prospects this year to keep pique the fans interest.
And between Rudy, DM and the rest of the pieces, I feel like we could get a nice mix of young prospects and picks to engage the fans.

I honestly don't think the front office is willing to trade Donovan at this point unless he requests it.
Probably but I do remember us talking with Gordon when all the rumors of Boston came out and he denied it... then his *** bolted. Danny knows what these situations are like... been on both sides of it... with Gordo and with Kyrie. If you talk to Donovan and he is like "I'll stay if XYZ..." you have to gauge how sincere that stance is and how long it will endure. We can't extend him this year so there isn't a "call your bluff" moment. The deals we have thrown out are likely not enough... but if someone gets wild with an offer I think you take it.

If Sacramento comes calling with Fox, #7 or a top 4 pick, plus a second first in the next couple years... like let's go for that ****.

Hope for NYK to grab the first pick, give them Donovan, then go shopping with that first pick and excess salary. Try to win a title in the next 2-3 years. If we win a title, I don’t care what happens after that. Maybe I’ll retire happy from basketball watching and pretend it no longer exists.

And between Rudy, DM and the rest of the pieces, I feel like we could get a nice mix of young prospects and picks to engage the fans.
I'm kind of hung up on this idea that we should trade Bogey, Mike, Royce or JC to the Lakers for Westbrook and their 2027 and 2029 1sts unprotected with swap rights on 2028. Its the only picks they can offer cuz NOP has their other picks... I think they are desperate and might just throw that out there... I know its forever out but if you did well in the draft the next couple years those are the types of assets that can put you over the top.

We waive the **** out of Westbrook and our cap is completely clear in 2024

Hope for NYK to grab the first pick, give them Donovan, then go shopping with that first pick and excess salary. Try to win a title in the next 2-3 years. If we win a title, I don’t care what happens after that. Maybe I’ll retire happy from basketball watching and pretend it no longer exists.
I would even be cool just keeping our guys and swapping the coach or making some minor changes... if I thought the guys were going to get along and maximize the talents they each have by playing together... Nothing wrong with being a perennial playoff team with a slight chance of more. I just think the pieces like Mike and Bogey will age out and Rudy and Donovan don't like each other (I know all the reporting is they are fine). They've both had a million chances to have each others back and figure it out and they choose to dig in further. Even if I thought Donovan was going to ask out in 1-2 years I'd keep em both if I thought they'd stop being dumb.

Keep em both or trade em both. We won't have time to reconfigure and fix it if we split em up.

I would even be cool just keeping our guys and swapping the coach or making some minor changes... if I thought the guys were going to get along and maximize the talents they each have by playing together... Nothing wrong with being a perennial playoff team with a slight chance of more. I just think the pieces like Mike and Bogey will age out and Rudy and Donovan don't like each other (I know all the reporting is they are fine). They've both had a million chances to have each others back and figure it out and they choose to dig in further. Even if I thought Donovan was going to ask out in 1-2 years I'd keep em both if I thought they'd stop being dumb.

Keep em both or trade em both. We won't have time to reconfigure and fix it if we split em up.
I think this is the way to go if we do not trade one of the big 2. The Snyder System isn't going to yield anything more than a statistical edge over a long number of games. It isn't designed for playoff success, we have seen that in spades the past 5 years. Keep everyone, maybe retool a bit with better wing defenders in place of geriatric slow players, and get a coach with a fresh look at the game, and see if he can get more out of the current team. We have exhausted what Snyder is capable of. Time to move on.

I'm a sucker for reading some of these 'trade DM' pieces that are littered across the internet and it's hilarious how some Knicks pieces think that we want their scraps and a pick or two to think it would work. You're not getting Donovan without giving up Barrett or another couple picks in his place - it's lazy journalism to simply look at salary and think we're going to give up DM for Julius Randle, Taj Gibson and a couple of picks. Keep your trash contracts, we don't want them.

If Knicks want DM that bad, be prepared to pay.

I'm a sucker for reading some of these 'trade DM' pieces that are littered across the internet and it's hilarious how some Knicks pieces think that we want their scraps and a pick or two to think it would work. You're not getting Donovan without giving up Barrett or another couple picks in his place - it's lazy journalism to simply look at salary and think we're going to give up DM for Julius Randle, Taj Gibson and a couple of picks. Keep your trash contracts, we don't want them.

If Knicks want DM that bad, be prepared to pay.
Oh yeah... look if they want DM and they DON'T end up with a top 4 pick then they need to send us all they future first unprotected and we aren't taking back Randle... Knicks fans likely thing Quickly plus a couple seconds and Randle is fair....

Nah... its not ideal to swap ten dimes for a dollar, but all they really have are dimes outside of RJ. So if they want DM and RJ in NY then be prepared for like 4 firsts (unprotected), pick swaps, and Grimes, Quickly, Toppin and any contract matching we prefer.

Oh yeah... look if they want DM and they DON'T end up with a top 4 pick then they need to send us all they future first unprotected and we aren't taking back Randle... Knicks fans likely thing Quickly plus a couple seconds and Randle is fair....

Nah... its not ideal to swap ten dimes for a dollar, but all they really have are dimes outside of RJ. So if they want DM and RJ in NY then be prepared for like 4 firsts (unprotected), pick swaps, and Grimes, Quickly, Toppin and any contract matching we prefer.
By baseline is the Paul George trade or close to it - the Clippers probably overpaid a bit, but I would take Barrett, someone like Burks/Rose to help make the numbers more manageable without long-term money and four first round picks in 2022, 2024, 2026 and 2028. Add in a pick or swap or two as well.

Winning ain't cheap.