What's new

Donovan Mitchell Trade Threads

Are we getting way ahead of ourselves to think Donovan is worth an absolute boatload?

Like, do the Knicks really want to zap everything they got just to build around Mitchell without picks, just free agents?

I'm sure Donovan is somewhat liked around the league, but all his peers are still on their 1st or 2nd contract. Is Donovan enough to convince a Bradley Beal or Kyrie Irving to come to NYK? I dont think so. Who the hell would NYK sign this year to surround Donovan? It could potentially be very ugly.
Which is why a 20 dimes for a dollar deal could turn into a massive haul over the years.

I think he is really valued and will get a huge return from someone… NY has him earmarked and his boy Johnny Bryant is there. I think GMs and coaches know they only have a short shelf life there unless they start really winning. Right now they are a perfect treadmill team… they have one solid young guy, a big stats guy that doesn’t win, an handful of okayish prospects, and will draft in the middle of the draft until they break the cycle. So I think they’d push in huge… and hope RJ and Donovan will bring some friends (Zion?). As it stands what they have is not a lot and they don’t have a lot of cap space until summer of 23… but RJ is already extension eligible… so that cap space could go poof!!!

They have done responsible boring moves for too long… it’s time for them to do something irrational and push all in… it is the Knick way. We can be the beneficiary if it gets ugly.

download.png

Saves the Jazz 12 million off the tax (no idea how much the total savings would be, like 30+ million?). They off-load the last years of Royce and JC.

Jazz get to try and compete with Gobert.

They get 3 solid 1st round picks to trade for additional talent. They would probably need to offload Bogey now to rebuild into an athletic/defensive identity.

Which is why a 20 dimes for a dollar deal could turn into a massive haul over the years.

I think he is really valued and will get a huge return from someone… NY has him earmarked and his boy Johnny Bryant is there. I think GMs and coaches know they only have a short shelf life there unless they start really winning. Right now they are a perfect treadmill team… they have one solid young guy, a big stats guy that doesn’t win, an handful of okayish prospects, and will draft in the middle of the draft until they break the cycle. So I think they’d push in huge… and hope RJ and Donovan will bring some friends (Zion?). As it stands what they have is not a lot and they don’t have a lot of cap space until summer of 23… but RJ is already extension eligible… so that cap space could go poof!!!

They have done responsible boring moves for too long… it’s time for them to do something irrational and push all in… it is the Knick way. We can be the beneficiary if it gets ugly.
The Knicks don't have a premier trade asset. Barrett is solid, but unlikely what Utah wants unless we are trading Rudy too. I don't know what Don's value is, but I would imagine it's still quite strong.

Outside of this board and maybe a few other Jazz fans, I don't think the narrative on the Jazz is that the issues are because of Donovan. The perception is that the issues are a fractured lockerroom, bad FO moves and questionable coaching.

I think most NBA teams would love to make a run at Donovan.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

View attachment 11897

Saves the Jazz 12 million off the tax (no idea how much the total savings would be, like 30+ million?). They off-load the last years of Royce and JC.

They get 3 solid 1st round picks to trade for additional talent. They would probably need to offload Bogey now to rebuild into an athletic/defensive identity.
If we are trading with the Knicks for a move to keep Rudy, Fournier will be part of the deal. He's flawed, but Rudy would be happy with his boy. And we need another bona-fide shooter.

If we are trading with the Knicks for a move to keep Rudy, Fournier will be part of the deal. He's flawed, but Rudy would be happy with his boy. And we need another bona-fide shooter.

Rather have Burks. We got to live in reality where the Jazz are going to want to save money.

tradenba-snap-1649110953377.png

For the lulz.

So much I love about this trade lmao.

1. Reuniting half of the Core 4
2. Hayward replacing Mitchell after Mitchell orginally replaced Hayward. Just a funny moment.
3. This could actually work? It's a house of cards for sure. It would rely on Hayward somehow finding magic under Snyder again (and staying healthy) and the Jazz unlocking Randle's full potential.

Core team of:
Conley
Barrett
Hayward
Randle
Gobert

Bench:
AB
Grimes
Butler

This team isnt super athletic or anything, but they are big. Everyone can pass/rebound. This could be a very switchy team. Guarder quick guards would be an issue, but Grimes has potential there.

Last edited:
View attachment 11897

We are likely around 7ish million over the tax… without looking and calculating… so we’d likely be out of the tax in this scenario.

I think their ideal scenario is building with RJ but if we have to take Randles salary it’s hard to say this deal is unfair. RJ will get paid soon too so that is a mark against him.

I don’t hate it. I am worried Rudy’s next three years or so his body will start to deteriorate. So I prefer the full rebuild route but if you are trying to compete and wanting some future facing assets it works.

It doesn’t get me excited so it is likely the type of deal we do.

We are likely around 7ish million over the tax… without looking and calculating… so we’d likely be out of the tax in this scenario.

I think their ideal scenario is building with RJ but if we have to take Randles salary it’s hard to say this deal is unfair. RJ will get paid soon too so that is a mark against him.

I don’t hate it. I am worried Rudy’s next three years or so his body will start to deteriorate. So I prefer the full rebuild route but if you are trying to compete and wanting some future facing assets it works.

The thing about Rudy tho is that his jumping is already kind of ****. The dude can't jump from a standstill, and he's still super effective. He hasn't really shown any sign of his lateral speed suffering yet. That's probably what's going to hurt him the most over the years.

If it's the Knicks, I could see it being:

Don and Rudy Gay
for
Fournier, Barrett, Taj Gibson and draft picks

Taj isn't guaranteed next year so declining his option in July gets us out of the luxury. Fournier fits the Rudy window in so many ways and Barrett is some much needed youth.

The thing about Rudy tho is that his jumping is already kind of ****. The dude can't jump from a standstill, and he's still super effective. He hasn't really shown any sign of his lateral speed suffering yet. That's probably what's going to hurt him the most over the years.
Father Time is undefeated… I also worry he starts to have leg problems… he might go for a very long time… it’s just anytime you have contracts that big for that long there is risk… that risk increases as players age.

If it's the Knicks, I could see it being:

Don and Rudy Gay
for
Fournier, Barrett, Taj Gibson and draft picks

Taj isn't guaranteed next year so declining his option in July gets us out of the luxury. Fournier fits the Rudy window in so many ways and Barrett is some much needed youth.

That would be the steal of the century for the Knicks. Unless you’re saying 4 firsts and 4 pick swaps……

Bro, come on.

Honestly if the rumors are true that Rudy has good value I’d prefer to tear this whole ****ing thing down.

One of the worst eras from an underperforming standpoint in Jazz history.

Get max value for DM, Rudy, Bogey, JC, Mike, all of em. Get dudes with heart.

I was so jealous of that Memphis team from last years first round….

Honestly if the rumors are true that Rudy has good value I’d prefer to tear this whole ****ing thing down.

One of the worst eras from an underperforming standpoint in Jazz history.

Get max value for DM, Rudy, Bogey, JC, Mike, all of em. Get dudes with heart.

I was so jealous of that Memphis team from last years first round….
I just have no interest in doing the retool… it will fail miserably. Scorched earth.