What's new

Donovan Mitchell - We are lucky to have him

<sigh> You folks don't get it. You betcha, Donovan has the right to say whatever he wants, but then those who disagree with his political statements have the right to tune out the Utah Jazz. Utah is a red state.

Think about it. I'm sure DL and Gail Miller are.
Cool, **** those people. If they cant watch Jazz basketball because Donovan dunked on their ****** president then they need to grow a pair of *********/ovaries.

This "blowhard jackass" just happens to be the President of the United States. How can this not be political? And your "truth" is not universal.

Lebron James is nearing the end of his career and has already banked a couple hundred mill. If he wants to start a war with Trump (and Lebron did start it!) then let him. But Donovan's career is just starting and he doesn't need this kind of BS to side track it. If his agent isn't explaining this to DM, then he isn't doing his job.

yes there are two approaches for public figures: (1) this is America, when I see something I don't like about my government I am free to express it; and (2) Trump supporters buy shoes.

This "blowhard jackass" just happens to be the President of the United States. How can this not be political? And your "truth" is not universal.

Lebron James is nearing the end of his career and has already banked a couple hundred mill. If he wants to start a war with Trump (and Lebron did start it!) then let him. But Donovan's career is just starting and he doesn't need this kind of BS to side track it. If his agent isn't explaining this to DM, then he isn't doing his job.

I’m tired of bending over backwards to continuously permit Trump and his cult following to continue to act like jackasses. **** their feelings. We see everyday article after article from CNN and The NY Times interviews with these morons. I can’t even remember the last time they interviewed anyone from the majority, who voted for clinton yet live under Trump. Shouldn’t the majority’s feelings matter?

Trump’s cult following appears to be the only group worth thinking about these days. They’re the ones we need to cater to over fear of ruffling their feathers. They’re a small part of the population and their numbers are getting smaller everyday. Let’s focus on the majority of decent and sane people who see Trump as the jackass that he is.

For those of you concerned over DM becoming involved in “this”, is this really something the POTUS should be involved in? Should he be insulting journalists and basketball players at midnight? Shouldn’t he be like... sleeping? And getting well rested for the next day of work? With all the issues we face today, should this be something our president is tweeting about at such a late hour (or at any hour)? Where’s his mind at?

Furthermore, DM standing up for truth and decency is the right thing to do. If a handful of Q idiots don’t feel like buying his shoes after that, well whatever. Those toothless conspiracy filled nutjobs weren’t buying his shoes anyway. But by DM being decent and standing up for Lebron, I guarantee you that he gained a lot more fans than lost.

yes there are two approaches for public figures: (1) this is America, when I see something I don't like about my government I am free to express it; and (2) Trump supporters buy shoes.
I see a big difference in what LeBron/Curry have said about Trump vs. what Donovan said.

Without attacking Trump (personally or politically), Mitchell suggested that he focus on being a good example for kids by being less antagonistic - I don’t see anything wrong or controversial about that tbh.

I did mention in an earlier post that my impression of how the LDS church handles tithing has come mostly from ex-Mormons. I absolutely appreciate your response and Colton's response to my post.

I got called out for backpedaling on that post and, yeah, you can call it that and you wouldn't be wrong. I was presented with perfectly reasonable responses to an impression I had that was not correct, from people who certainly know more about it than I do. I'm a little embarrassed in the way I initially presented my understanding of LDS tithing, but I think a few too many people take my literal statements in that post as disingenuous, when they were actually genuine.

My opinion of the people who responded with empty hostility hasn't improved, but my opinion of Colton and Archie absolutely has, even though I have held both of them in high regard for some time.

Like I said, on this subject when I'm in a conversation with non-LDS and ex-LDS and they bring up tithing, I'll be the guy saying "Well, actually..." and trying to bring reason to what will otherwise most likely be a session of bashing the LDS church. I like being that guy.

My experience could have been completely different than other's too, but I feel I was in it long enough and attended in different countries and states for years to have a pretty good feel of it. They certainly talked about tithing a lot, but no more than anything else they taught.[/QUOTE]

I grew up with divorced and inactive parents who were struggling with demons. I had a pretty rough childhood to say the least. I got baptized with my older brother by missionaries at age 9. I never went to church after. My dad ended up getting married when I was 12 or so and I moved in with him. My step mom got my dad to start going back to church and that was my first experience of being active in the church (even though we would miss a lot if Sundays and go to just sacrament.) Having the church was the first time in my life I had some structure, support, and a framework to give me a mindset to do something with my life. It was a refuge to me. The church was one of the more positive things for me during my youth and I'm grateful for my experience with it.[/QUOTE]

Trump's comments are cringe worthy, especially because he's the president. I'm glad Mitchell voiced his opinion. No way in hell this is dangerous political territory for him with his fans in Utah. A lot of people don't care for Trump and if they do support him, they know he says some Trump *** things.

I also think LeBron could have done a lot better during his interview. Dude is killing it at being a philanthropist, an example, more than a basketball player, father, husband, and a great human being. I wish he could have explained things better than simple blanket statements like Trump. I also thought this comment: "Yes. Absolutely. I mean, that is human nature. There is no way that you can look at certain things and not feel like, why are we not pushing forward? You know, for me, as one of the leaders of America or one of the leaders of my community, it’s my responsibility to kind a stay as positive as I can and continue to let people know that we can go further up and not down even though sometimes we do feel like we’re going backwards and even though we feel like we are going back to places of—some kind of slavery or Jim Crow and things of that nature, you don’t—you just want to kind of continue to move forward and I think it is very important for all of us." Was a bit of a stretch. We are not, by any means, moving back as a country towards Jim Crow. We are progressing almost too fast to keep reasonable expectations of people imo.

I liked James comments about first meeting white people - playing basketball and how sports brings us together. I hope who's in office next tries and unites us and we become better as a country. I miss watching sports without all this static - That's not to so it's not warranted.

I hate bipartisanship so gawd damn much.

Good post

As an ex-mormon who was once married in the temple, grew up in Utah County and served a full-time mission, I wonder what your experience is with mormon tithing and how they are aggressive. I was taught to pay tithing and why I should. I was never asked to pay tithing, aggressively sought after to pay tithing, had anyone knock on my door to collect fast offerings (I did that as a kid) or had my leaders make me feel bad about it. During my interviews, I would always say I wasn't a full tithe player and rarely paid. My leaders always had responses of love, understanding and maybe challenged to seek out the blessings of paying tithing. They never once made me feel guilty about it.

The church has a ton of money, don't get me wrong. They do a lot of good with it too - like a lot of good. I always find it interesting how the mormon church pisses people off so easily - especially ex members. It never wronged me. I have some of my best memories from it and I think it's a good framework to follow. Who cares if people pay tithing to help fund what they believe? Hell, my gf from Florida occassionally goes to church and occasionally puts money in a jar (I don't know if it's a donation jar) that's passed around during service. I would much rather tell her good for you, babe than question why she would do that and ask where the money is going.

I love Utah. It has it quirks, but they are only bad if you look at them that way.
Agreed

My actions are far from being Mormon, yet I still have plenty of love for the church.

I see a big difference in what LeBron/Curry have said about Trump vs. what Donovan said.

Without attacking Trump (personally or politically), Mitchell suggested that he focus on being a good example for kids by being less antagonistic - I don’t see anything wrong or controversial about that tbh.

yep, I agree.

Agreed, he said nothing wrong, and Jazz fans should find there way to defend him every chance they get on it.

Just wait until President Trump tweets something nasty back at Spida... the tide will definitely turn in Utah.

Funny how some people think that pro athletes should only shut up and dribble. As if they aren’t given first amendment privileges to voice their opinions about anything.

Meanwhile, Trump and his ilk are given platforms to yell about any topic. Often, they spew lies and bigotry. And if they’re corrected or resisted, they’re labeled “fake news” or “intolerant” or “overstepping into politics.”

I think we’re quickly learning who the real snowflakes are. If you look on twitter right now they’re the ones whining about DM. Sad. I’ve already seen far too many jazz fans ripping him. Unbelievable

Last edited:
Funny how some people think that pro athletes should only shut up and dribble. As if they aren’t given first amendment privileges to voice their opinions about anything.

Meanwhile, Trump and his ilk are given platforms to yell about any topic. Often, they spew lies and bigotry. And if they’re corrected or resisted, they’re labeled “fake news” or “intolerant” or “overstepping into politics.”

I think we’re quickly learning who the real snowflakes are. If you look on twitter right now they’re the ones whining about DM. Sad. I’ve already seen far too many jazz fans ripping him. Unbelievable
I’ve seen a handful, but that tweet has reached every corner of the country at this point. I clicked on some to see where they were from, and it’s all over. Dude didn’t even say anything wrong. I would say I’ve seen maybe 15-20 Jazz fans, but I’ve seen that many agree with him and the rest probably don’t care too much. Kids a great kid, if people can turn on a dime that quick I would prefer they get the f*** our of the fan base anyway. Now it has about 1,500 comments and over 100,000 likes, so I guess the good is far outweighing the bad as far as likes. The negatives will always comment. What a ****** world, with some trash *** people.

Set aside politics for a moment. Set aside Donald Trump. Set aside Donovan Mitchell.

Instead, focus on the behaviors and ask which you would like to see adopted as a universal law to be followed by everyone at all times (Kant's Categorical Imperative)

Law #1 - If you hold a position of power you should feel free to single out individuals and bully them on their personal characteristics.

Law #2 - If you see someone being bullied you should stand up for them and point out to the bully that their actions are unacceptable and set a bad example for others to follow.

I would accept Law#2 at any time, and fight against Law#1

Set aside politics for a moment. Set aside Donald Trump. Set aside Donovan Mitchell.

Instead, focus on the behaviors and ask which you would like to see adopted as a universal law to be followed by everyone at all times (Kant's Categorical Imperative)

Law #1 - If you hold a position of power you should feel free to single out individuals and bully them on their personal characteristics.

Law #2 - If you see someone being bullied you should stand up for them and point out to the bully that their actions are unacceptable and set a bad example for others to follow.

I would accept Law#2 at any time, and fight against Law#1

JazzAvenues for President. Make it happen.

Big mistake, Donovan. Don't ever involve yourself in politics; you are guaranteed to piss off half the people in this state if you do.
If you got pissed off about what he said then you must be a snowflake Trump support. DM was spot on. Trump is a thin-skinned bully who can dish it out but can't take it. DM showed real maturity in his response and stuck up for his friend Lebron. Trump continues to act like an immature and insecure person, he needs to grow up and be a real leader.

Your comment that Lebron started this. What did he start? He was asked a question and answered it honestly? After all the nonsense Trump has spewed, I can see why Lebron wouldn't sit down with him. Lebron didn't start this, Trump started this by questioning Obama citizenship which is the reason why the black community dislikes him so much.

Last edited:
<sigh> You folks don't get it. You betcha, Donovan has the right to say whatever he wants, but then those who disagree with his political statements have the right to tune out the Utah Jazz. Utah is a red state.

Think about it. I'm sure DL and Gail Miller are.

Gail could have sold the team for a billion dollars. BILLION!

I'm not saying that she isn't a business woman but clearly money isn't everything.

I actually do see something wrong with him being less antagonistic/controversial. He's really young and just getting his feet wet so he gets a pass.

DM has already inked a deal that will pay him more than most of us will make in a lifetime. He has a skill that will allow him to make millions more. He comes from an upper class family and you can tell that he's wicked smart.

He has a freedom to speak without losing much from his comfortable life. If someone like that does not have the courage to speak out who will? We need citizens who can speak out and who will be heard to do it. We need them to have some courage. We need them to speak out in defense of the defenseless not just their powerful NBA pals.

I hope DM becomes that guy. From what I can tell so far, I think he might.

Gail could have sold the team for a billion dollars. BILLION!

I'm not saying that she isn't a business woman but clearly money isn't everything.

I actually do see something wrong with him being less antagonistic/controversial. He's really young and just getting his feet wet so he gets a pass.

DM has already inked a deal that will pay him more than most of us will make in a lifetime. He has a skill that will allow him to make millions more. He comes from an upper class family and you can tell that he's wicked smart.

He has a freedom to speak without losing much from his comfortable life. If someone like that does not have the courage to speak out who will? We need citizens who can speak out and who will be heard to do it. We need them to have some courage. We need them to speak out in defense of the defenseless not just their powerful NBA pals.

I hope DM becomes that guy. From what I can tell so far, I think he might.
Oh DM is smart as **** he’s only 21 years old and everything he does, you can just see it. With things I see him like/say on social media he will not be just an athlete, and you can tell he’s going to make a point of that. It will burn some bridges along the way but if people can’t accept him for who he is, then **** them. Donovan’s a great role model. I do think it was a bit more brave if him than most though. Donovan has only played one season, and yes he does have guaranteed big money for the years ahead but stepping out this early is rare. You’d almost expect it more after that max contract gets signed, so I kind of respect it even more.

D28F84DE-3824-4B30-96D7-F6F1DFE72A58.jpeg You know what we need? We need these pro basketball players, like DM and LJ to shut up and dribble. We hear enough from them and their liberal friends in the media. We need to... *flips through dozens of notes from my yellow pad*

“respect the other side and be civil. Both sides are equally at fault.”

I’ve seen a handful, but that tweet has reached every corner of the country at this point. I clicked on some to see where they were from, and it’s all over. Dude didn’t even say anything wrong. I would say I’ve seen maybe 15-20 Jazz fans, but I’ve seen that many agree with him and the rest probably don’t care too much. Kids a great kid, if people can turn on a dime that quick I would prefer they get the f*** our of the fan base anyway. Now it has about 1,500 comments and over 100,000 likes, so I guess the good is far outweighing the bad as far as likes. The negatives will always comment. What a ****** world, with some trash *** people.

The consensus has been positive. But I’ve seen a handful of critical replies (from jazz fans) to DM’s tweet that have 50+ likes. To me, that’s appalling.

DM’s tweet was pretty straightforward and non-political. But even if it was, so what? It’s pretty obvious we have a jackass in the White House. He just admitted today over twitter that the meeting with Russians in trump tower was designed to get dirt on Clinton. Something he lied about one year ago when he claimed that the meeting was designed over “childhood adoptions.”

And he has the nerve to go after Lebron???

The more people who call trump out for his divisiveness, the better IMO.

I like how the discussion on this thread went from "Donovan is the best and he is making us more popular" to "Donovan is going to make the Jazz lose half their fan-base".

And besides that, the NBA's fan-base is inherently liberal and those who arent understand they are in the minority so they have learned to handle/ignore it. It's like if you watched baseball as a liberal and then said **** this and stopped watching when you found out the other fans/players are all mostly hicks who voted for Trump.

I think the NFL gets hurt by this stuff so much because the fan/player base is so huge and diverse (culturally and racially) that there is kind of a power struggle of what the identity of the league is.