What's new

Dow Hits Record High

You think it's possible a lot of the fears about Trump are in this same vein, or are those ones all rational?

"I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened." -- Mark Twain

Think of all the crazy things people said would happen when Obama became president. People get crazy when they allow themselves to be driven by fear, and that's what is happening now with Trump.

I've been saying for a long time that I think people hate Trump as a person, then out of that they come up with a list of elaborate terrible things that will definitely 100% happen if Trump is elected (people did the same thing with Obama and Hillary). It sucks to see smart, well intentioned people do this because it cumulatively adds to the fear for people who are generally upset and fearful. I understand Muslims, illegal immingrants, and inner city minorities being fearful or panicked right now, those people don't need others with nothing to be nervous about adding fake hype about Hitler, WWIII, or other BS that people say because they are too weak to just say they hate Donald Trump the person, and they are mad he has won.

Sorry about the rant, and it's not directed at you, I just wish people would own their emotions, opinions, and feelings, instead of hiding behind these over the top, ridiculous assertions that America is over, or racism & bigotry has won out over love, or that we are now Nazi Germany. Ugh!!

UGLI is quoting Mark Twain??? WTF.

You think it's possible a lot of the fears about Trump are in this same vein, or are those ones all rational?

I was simply talking about fears of guns being taken away by obama and hilary as being a reason why guns sales were high and now the threat is gone gun sales are lower because people were/are stupid enough to think that their guns were actually gonna be taken away.

If you want to bring up specific fears about trump (walls being built on the border, more deportations, etc) then you can specify certain fears out there and we can discuss if we think those fears are rational or not.

I was simply talking about fears of guns being taken away by obama and hilary as being a reason why guns sales were high and now the threat is gone gun sales are lower because people were/are stupid enough to think that their guns were actually gonna be taken away.

If you want to bring up specific fears about trump (walls being built on the border, more deportations, etc) then you can specify certain fears out there and we can discuss if we think those fears are rational or not.

That makes sense. It's hard to remember which of the 17 active election threads I'm posting in and under which context I should be reading the posts.

And I want to be clear that I said many times that my posts about Trump were driven by my burning hot hated for him. I wasn't being rational or reasonable and I admitted it any time someone implied I was being unreasonable and couldn't be taken seriously.

Now he's ejected and I'm holding my breath to see what he does with it. I hope it's good.

"I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened." -- Mark Twain

Think of all the crazy things people said would happen when Obama became president. People get crazy when they allow themselves to be driven by fear, and that's what is happening now with Trump.

I've been saying for a long time that I think people hate Trump as a person, then out of that they come up with a list of elaborate terrible things that will definitely 100% happen if Trump is elected (people did the same thing with Obama and Hillary). It sucks to see smart, well intentioned people do this because it cumulatively adds to the fear for people who are generally upset and fearful. I understand Muslims, illegal immingrants, and inner city minorities being fearful or panicked right now, those people don't need others with nothing to be nervous about adding fake hype about Hitler, WWIII, or other BS that people say because they are too weak to just say they hate Donald Trump the person, and they are mad he has won.

Sorry about the rant, and it's not directed at you, I just wish people would own their emotions, opinions, and feelings, instead of hiding behind these over the top, ridiculous assertions that America is over, or racism & bigotry has won out over love, or that we are now Nazi Germany. Ugh!!

Many people seem to need a boogie man in one form or another to blame all their depression on. If there's no monster in the closet then there it is them that's the problem and not the monster.

I don't think African-Americans will hate him. In fact, if any president were able to target inner city poverty (one of my pet goals) it would be Trump and he has pledged several times to do so. This is a stroke of genius for the republican party as well, and could be a huge game changer in the years to come. Republicans need to start winning over the minority vote and they know it.

And I want to be clear that I said many times that my posts about Trump were driven by my burning hot hated for him. I wasn't being rational or reasonable and I admitted it any time someone implied I was being unreasonable and couldn't be taken seriously.

Now he's ejected and I'm holding my breath to see what he does with it. I hope it's good.

EDIT: Umm, I meant "elected"

My brother is a smart guy, but I have not been able to convince him that Democrats aren't coming for their guns. Fox News and their ilk do a great job convincing people that the donkey is evil.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app

My brother is a smart guy, but I have not been able to convince him that Democrats aren't coming for their guns. Fox News and their ilk do a great job convincing people that the donkey is evil.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app

Your brother is right. If the Democratic party had their way they would take his guns away. Either you should try to convince your brother that him giving up his guns is a good thing or you should try to convince your Dem friends that your brother should be able to keep his guns. Don't act like the Democratic party is ready to be neutral, they're not.

Your brother is right. If the Democratic party had their way they would take his guns away. Either you should try to convince your brother that him giving up his guns is a good thing or you should try to convince your Dem friends that your brother should be able to keep his guns. Don't act like the Democratic party is ready to be neutral, they're not.

The democratic party doesn't even have the support from their base to "take guns away" at best they would pass several stupid *** restrictions and regulations that would be annoying to gun owners and accomplish damn near nothing that would reduce gun violence.

Your brother is right. If the Democratic party had their way they would take his guns away.

This is what happened when the Dems actually did have their way:

GunBoom_Overall.png

The democratic party doesn't even have the support from their base to "take guns away" at best they would pass several stupid *** restrictions and regulations that would be annoying to gun owners and accomplish damn near nothing that would reduce gun violence.

Reread

If the democratic party had their way...

It is precisely the fervent opposition that prevents them. It is not that the Dems have no desire to do so.

Reread

If the democratic party had their way...

It is precisely the fervent opposition that prevents them. It is not that the Dems have no desire to do so.

Okay, agreed. I'm just not scared of having my guns taken away. As you pointed out, the SCOTUS does sometimes reverse it's own decisions, but it does not do so lightly. The right of individuals, as upheld by the SCOTUS, to own semi-auto pistols for self-defense is a big deal. It'll take something special to overturn that. And with Trump nominating the next few justices it will not be overturned in the next 50 years. Even with Hillary Clinton I wasn't terribly concerned that it would change in my lifetime.

But you can't say "dems" because many dems are pro-gun rights. They are not unified on that issue.

Okay, agreed. I'm just not scared of having my guns taken away. As you pointed out, the SCOTUS does sometimes reverse it's own decisions, but it does not do so lightly. The right of individuals, as upheld by the SCOTUS, to own semi-auto pistols for self-defense is a big deal. It'll take something special to overturn that. And with Trump nominating the next few justices it will not be overturned in the next 50 years. Even with Hillary Clinton I wasn't terribly concerned that it would change in my lifetime.

But you can't say "dems" because many dems are pro-gun rights. They are not unified on that issue.

I agree with you that those on the left that want to ban guns have little to no chance at being successful for all the reasons you mentioned. Having said that, what level of support do they need to show as a party before we can generalize about them? It seems to me that easily 90% of elected democrats to federal office are in favor of quite restrictive gun control. Those that don't advocate for it definitely seem to lean that way.

I do think that if the table were turned and this was a Clinton presidency upcoming with both houses controlled by Dems that comprehensive gun control would be among the first things that would be on the agenda. I think Clinton would have appointed anti-gun justices. I think a lot of people voted for Trump for that reason only.