What's new

Esperanto

There is an Esperanto group that meets at the SLC library I think once a month. Have you participated in that [MENTION=2283]leftyjace[/MENTION]?

There is an Esperanto group that meets at the SLC library I think once a month. Have you participated in that [MENTION=2283]leftyjace[/MENTION]?

Sadly, that group is now defunct. My girlfriend and I were just getting ready to start attending. We RSVP'd for the June meeting and shortly after got an email from the guy that ran the group that he was stepping down and wouldn't be running it anymore. He wanted someone else in the group to step up, and nobody did. I didn't because... well... I'd never been to the group.

I actually think it would be a lot of fun to run a group, but I don't feel like my proficiency in the language is heavy enough to do so. But part of me hates that there's not one here in SLC. There are big, highly active Esperanto groups in all of the major cities, and they're getting bigger all the time with the increasing adoption of the language due to the internet and DuoLingo.

Have you studied Esperanto, Mr. Mexico?

Sadly, that group is now defunct. My girlfriend and I were just getting ready to start attending. We RSVP'd for the June meeting and shortly after got an email from the guy that ran the group that he was stepping down and wouldn't be running it anymore. He wanted someone else in the group to step up, and nobody did. I didn't because... well... I'd never been to the group.

I actually think it would be a lot of fun to run a group, but I don't feel like my proficiency in the language is heavy enough to do so. But part of me hates that there's not one here in SLC. There are big, highly active Esperanto groups in all of the major cities, and they're getting bigger all the time with the increasing adoption of the language due to the internet and DuoLingo.

Have you studied Esperanto, Mr. Mexico?
Yes, I have studied it for a few months but I've been lazy about it lately. I need to start back up. My wife and brother in law have been to that group a couple times. I didn't know they ended. My brother in law is very proficient in Esperanto, I know he is always trying to get groups together. I'll have to ask him about that library group.

Yes, I have studied it for a few months but I've been lazy about it lately. I need to start back up. My wife and brother in law have been to that group a couple times. I didn't know they ended. My brother in law is very proficient in Esperanto, I know he is always trying to get groups together. I'll have to ask him about that library group.

Maybe we should start a group ourselves, and just plan on it being small. I think there were a few reasons why the other group didn't succeed, but I'll keep them to myself for now... :)

I'll send you a Prime Minister.

Maybe we should start a group ourselves, and just plan on it being small. I think there were a few reasons why the other group didn't succeed, but I'll keep them to myself for now... :)

I'll send you a Prime Minister.
I would be up for a group but I need a little time to get better. But that would probably motivate me to actually study regularly.

I would be up for a group but I need a little time to get better. But that would probably motivate me to actually study regularly.

I think we all need to get better. I can tell you that my girlfriend and I are speaking it around the house on a daily basis, probably half English half Esperanto, and it's helping a LOT.

I think a group would really help people practice and feel comfortable. But it shouldn't be "marketed" as a group of fluent Esperanto speakers, with primarily Esperanto descriptions, advertising, etc. The group should be like a church - and church was made for sinners, not saints in the same way that an Esperanto speaking group should be made for beginners, not fluent speakers.

But that's one guy's opinion.

I think we all need to get better. I can tell you that my girlfriend and I are speaking it around the house on a daily basis, probably half English half Esperanto, and it's helping a LOT.

I think a group would really help people practice and feel comfortable. But it shouldn't be "marketed" as a group of fluent Esperanto speakers, with primarily Esperanto descriptions, advertising, etc. The group should be like a church - and church was made for sinners, not saints in the same way that an Esperanto speaking group should be made for beginners, not fluent speakers.

But that's one guy's opinion.

That would be good. You are much further along than me or my wife. I am much better at reading it then talking. I have met with a mini group with my brother in law and a few other people. We usually just do an activity and try and talk in Esperanto, or we play a game in Esperanto that we can teach all the words for and it helps. Everyone with that group was a beginner except my brother in law. He is fairly fluent but he is one of those people that speaks 5-10 languages pretty well.

That would be good. You are much further along than me or my wife. I am much better at reading it then talking. I have met with a mini group with my brother in law and a few other people. We usually just do an activity and try and talk in Esperanto, or we play a game in Esperanto that we can teach all the words for and it helps. Everyone with that group was a beginner except my brother in law. He is fairly fluent but he is one of those people that speaks 5-10 languages pretty well.

Nice! That sounds like a fun format, actually.
You could also have contests between meetings to see who gets the most points on DuoLingo or on Memrise on Esperanto courses... that sort of thing. That might make it a fun thing to recognize between meetings.

And I wouldn't say we're that far along. We're still just using the words we know, but also only using the grammar we know. We have to look up a lot of words but Memrise has done wonders for our vocab and we focus on making sure to keep our "streaks" alive on both Memrise and DuoLingo. Memrise really has some pretty killer decks, even if the pronunciations on some of them are kind of hilarious...

Almost to 1.25 million on DuoLingo.

1.03 million on Esperanto for English speakers.
215K on Esperanto for Spanish speakers.

That's 1,245,000... wow.

Given the entire world population of supposed Esperanto speakers is 2 million, that's kind of mind boggling.

Almost to 1.25 million on DuoLingo.

1.03 million on Esperanto for English speakers.
215K on Esperanto for Spanish speakers.

That's 1,245,000... wow.

Given the entire world population of supposed Esperanto speakers is 2 million, that's kind of mind boggling.

Yeah remember duolingo is about learning the language, or often just playing with it. Not really a representative sample. Still a respectable group there. That's cool.

Jes google tradukas al esperanto. Kiel pri tio?

Ni povas paroli en Esperanto se vi volas. :)

Ĉu vi komprenas kion mi diras? Ĉu vi lernas Esperanton?