What's new

Exum wants to be that guy at the end of games. (Article)

Exum played very well in parts of the Rockets series, got to the hoop and made plays as well as any Jazz player. He also played better defense than anyone. It takes a real hater to say that he isn't a rotation player, because hopefully no one is that dumb. I still believe he will be great. He is still very raw when total minutes played against NBA competition is considered, (his rookie year he played alot but shouldn't have). Also, his injuries have been such that he hasn't gotten the exposure to game like situations in practice either. Some people on here like to argue simply because they can. They don't care that they are often wrong.

He had good steches and he had bad stretches. This is the whole argument about him. Through one point in the playoffs, until he righted the ship the final two games, his TO% was in the 30s... which would’ve been in the top 10 worst playoff TO% all time for guys getting as many minutes as him. He had games of 3 TOs In 9 minutes and 15 minutes played. He was turning it over every 3 times he touched the ball, and only finished 1 of his 10 playoff games with more assists than turnovers (finished with a 0.66 ast:to ratio)

There’s two sides of every coin. No one is denying he’s had flashes. Whether due to injury, timidity, wrecklessness, or inconsistency, He’s never stayed on the good side of his coin for even a quarter of a season 4 years into his career.

We all want him to turn the corner. But he needs consistent progression. Baby steps before he’s anointed a future star or closer.

He is now an elite defender. Even if he doesn't take a huge leap he would still be ok.

He has the size and athleticism to be an elite defender - You put Exum in front of a guy tell him to lock him down and he's trouble for a lot of players.

But as well all know defense is a team concept - his defensive rotations and decision making have been horrid at times. I've seen him yanked from games on multiple occasions because he's constantly in the wrong spot on defense. You can chalk up a lot of that on experience and lack of PT; but these on-going problems exclude him from being anywhere near elite.

I'm glad he wants to be that guy. But I'm not convinced he can take the pressure.

I don't think we need him to be "that guy". Just a guy "that can".

He had good steches and he had bad stretches. This is the whole argument about him. Through one point in the playoffs, until he righted the ship the final two games, his TO% was in the 30s... which would’ve been in the top 10 worst playoff TO% all time for guys getting as many minutes as him. He had games of 3 TOs In 9 minutes and 15 minutes played. He was turning it over every 3 times he touched the ball, and only finished 1 of his 10 playoff games with more assists than turnovers (finished with a 0.66 ast:to ratio)

There’s two sides of every coin. No one is denying he’s had flashes. Whether due to injury, timidity, wrecklessness, or inconsistency, He’s never stayed on the good side of his coin for even a quarter of a season 4 years into his career.

We all want him to turn the corner. But he needs consistent progression. Baby steps before he’s anointed a future star or closer.

Please. That's way too small of a sample size to mean anything significant. I'd rather rely on the eye test and from that he has an exciting upside. I agree he needs consistency but at least he shows flashes of brilliance. We should be high as hell on his promise.

He has the size and athleticism to be an elite defender - You put Exum in front of a guy tell him to lock him down and he's trouble for a lot of players.

But as well all know defense is a team concept - his defensive rotations and decision making have been horrid at times. I've seen him yanked from games on multiple occasions because he's constantly in the wrong spot on defense. You can chalk up a lot of that on experience and lack of PT; but these on-going problems exclude him from being anywhere near elite.

It seems the use of the word 'elite' is always problematic around here. Maybe I should have used outstanding. On the other hand, i don't feel 'horrid' and 'constantly in the wrong spot' is a fair assessment of his defense (that sounds more like Burks than Exum). Sure, he still gets lost on defense but more often than not he stays within the team's defensive scheme. I think he just loses focus (both on offense and defense) and as you said maybe it's due to lack of experience.

curious question ... let me preface by saying i am a big fan. I think he can be a good player in the NBA. Now what say you if the suns approached the Jazz for a trade for Exum?

I figure Ayton and Booker are not going to be traded (Following trades are for players not salary at this point)

So would you trade Exum for Warren?
Would you trade Exum for Josh Jackson?
Or Mikal Bridges?

some combination of players involving Chriss, Bender or Knight?

What about a first rounder?

I am a huge Bridges fan and would do that in a heart beat.

curious question ... let me preface by saying i am a big fan. I think he can be a good player in the NBA. Now what say you if the suns approached the Jazz for a trade for Exum?

I figure Ayton and Booker are not going to be traded (Following trades are for players not salary at this point)

So would you trade Exum for Warren?
Would you trade Exum for Josh Jackson?
Or Mikal Bridges?

some combination of players involving Chriss, Bender or Knight?

What about a first rounder?

I am a huge Bridges fan and would do that in a heart beat.

Only Ayton, but we don’t need him. He’s really not on the block for me.

IMO Exum really is a different and unique, and special player. Don’t recall anyone as long and tall as him with the pure speed he possesses. He’s the guard version of Gobert.

People talk about Simmons being the next LBJ if he finds a jump shot, of Exum finds a jump shot he can be special good.

Thing I really wonder is if this kid can stay healthy an entire season. being that injury prone at such a young age is very worrisome.