What's new

Favors next season?

That Jingles/Favors pick and roll could become a huge weapon in the playoffs. Saw a couple in the highlights that left the Mavs defense with no good options.

Agree. Hes FINALLY getting calls too.

I would love it if he still had any type of post game or mid range... the pick n roll and offensive boards are his bread n butter now.

Since we wont have much space if any this summer, I would give Favors a big one year deal. He will probably make more elsewhere in a longer deal signed in 2019. We would do what we can in 2018/19 with the current core and just let Rubio, Favors and Burks leave after the season.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Does plus minus include defense? Cause Favs and Gobert together has been crazy good lately. And I'm not sure Udoh would have the same affect.

Yes. The plus minus stat is one of my favorite stats. It is more accurate with players who average mid-high minute amounts. The plus minus stat is also very simple, it basically calculates a players impact on team success while he's on the floor. For example, If Rubio starts the game at tipoff and plays 10 minutes before he is benched and the score is 20-24 in the favor of the Jazz, Rubio would have a +4 in the plus minus. When he comes back in the game and say the score is 30-36 while entering and he plays the remainder of the quarter exiting either because of being benched or quarter comes to an end and the score is 50-60 in the favor of the Jazz, Rubio would have a +8 in the plus minus.
1st quarter he contributed during his court time to give the Jazz a 4 point advantage.
2nd quarter he re-entered the game while the Jazz had a 6 point advantage, but he was responsible for 4 of those 6, so the score is really irrelevant. He then was on the court and contributed to give the Jazz a 10 point lead when the Jazz were only up by 6 when he left.
10 point lead minus the 6 point lead that they already had = +4 and then add the original +4 point lead/contribution from the 1st quarter. 4+4 = +8 in the plus minus.
It can be a deceiving stat for players that only average 5 minutes a night.

And not to be confused with the RPM (real plus minus) which is the same formula but takes into consideration the plus minus stats of the other players that saw floor time with the player. This stat is flawed badly and isn't a reliable source of a players value.

There is also a box plus minus which is a very relied upon stat and focuses on a players contribution based on a per 100 possessions . This one is a great stat, seldomly used because of its complexity.

Your basic plus minus is the most accurate with players that receive consistent/regular minutes every game, from about 13 MPG and up. The more minutes the more accuracy.

I was leaning towards replacing him with a stretch-4 but not only he looks better every month but also he seems happy to be a part of this team. He was disgruntled that the Jazz had tried to trade him away so I hope it's water under the bridge. He has great chemistry with the starters already, DM obviously likes him and Ingles - Fav PNR is a thing of beauty. I hope he stays.

Last edited:
Just want to point out that in the last 11 games Favors has played in, the Jazz are 10-1. He’s averaging 12.1 points, 6.5 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.4 blocks and 0.5 steals per game. Included in those totals are scoring totals of 15, 15, 19 and 22. Oh. . . and he’s shooting .333 on his increased 3 point shot attempts.

If he can stay healthy, Im going to predict that he’s going to break out next year. I really hope that it’s still with the Jazz.

Our two best stretches of the last few years have had one thing in common: a healthy Favors and healthy Gobert starting. Favors looks great lately, I really hope he stays. Exum seems to play really well with him as well.

Honestly it wouldn't shock me for Derrick to get KCP / Redick type of deal next year - a one year big money deal from team looking to preserve cap space. Lets say that Lakers get PG13 but not Lebron and want to hold out for a year for Klay (or someone else). Could see them offering a big one year deal to Derrick to replace Randle.

A short contract would lessen the likelihood of too much comfort food. But can he stay healthy? The knee issue basically lost us the Atlanta game, and that wasn't an injury. He's susceptible to wear. Love what he's doing for us this year though.

A short contract would lessen the likelihood of too much comfort food. But can he stay healthy? The knee issue basically lost us the Atlanta game, and that wasn't an injury. He's susceptible to wear. Love what he's doing for us this year though.

I think Favors on a short contract is a tradable asset. Let's face it, the Jazz really need a third star in order to contend, they can find plenty of role players on cheap deals that will fit in. If he'll take something like his last contract (4/48) then you do it, but if he wants to do something like 2/30 I think you do that as well. Even a one year, $25 Million wouldn't be the end of the world.

Just want to point out that in the last 11 games Favors has played in, the Jazz are 10-1. He’s averaging 12.1 points, 6.5 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.4 blocks and 0.5 steals per game. Included in those totals are scoring totals of 15, 15, 19 and 22. Oh. . . and he’s shooting .333 on his increased 3 point shot attempts.

If he can stay healthy, Im going to predict that he’s going to break out next year. I really hope that it’s still with the Jazz.

The problem is that he can't break out. He's hampered by having a better PnR player on the front line with him. He'll always be a secondary option on the Jazz. If he wants a bigger role he has to leave. He also often gets subbed out for a stretch 4. I just don't see how he's going to put up much better numbers than he is now. I think he's a valuable player and a huge luxury to have. I know fans want him to stick around because he's a great guy and a good player, but I just don't see him staying. I hope I'm wrong and they get him back on a great deal that reflects his role here.

I have always been in favor of keeping Favors. But I have no idea what he wants or what type of contract he will get.

On the one hand he seems to like his teammates and gets along with them and seems happy. But he is playing a greatly reduced roll to accommodate the team. But he also values continuity and wants to be somewhere that wants him. He is a hard worker who seems like he cares more about the team than himself.

Its weird that we have 2 players in Favors and Exum that are complete unknowns for most fans as to what type of contract they will get offered.

How often have the Jazz come out on fire to start games? Just the eye test, but Utah often struggles to score. Favs and Gobert just arent a good fit next to each other. And you'd think with those two, Jazz would dominate the boards...but they don't.

Favs is a pretty good 5 when Gobert sits. But Utah needs a 4 who can stretch the floor, especially with two starting guards who are sub 35% and no help off the bench.

Derrick is either gone or is having marriage problems with his family already moving back to GA. Udoh will get the backup mins behind Gobert next year, with Bradley spending one more season with the Stars. And DL will bring in a shooter. Crowder will get the chance to start, but ultimately Utah needs a guy who can hit the 3. Mirotic would have been so nice to have.

With Brad Stevens as coach, the odds of this happening are miniscule.
Not if their star players all have injury issues. The Jazz have seen multiple seasons derailed by injuries. That’s the problem it’s max contracts. If those guys can’t play or take a major step back, it kills your team AND your ability to fill those roles with new players. There’s going to be a LOT of medical issues that need to be resolved with that team before they’re contenders.

Hayward, Irving and Horford have all (now) had major injury issues at some point in their careers. They have to be committed to them. If they can’t stay healthy, or fail to produce. . . they’re not going anywhere.

I agree. Will Hayward ever be the same after that injury? Horford is starting to age so injuries will hang on longer and he will need more rest. Not sure how bad Irvings injury so we will see how he recovers. I dont want to see any player go down due to an injury but I cant help but grin a little inside thinking that Hayward had a little karma coming his way. I hope Boston never makes it out of the first round as long as Hayward is on the team.