What's new

Favors next season?

Favors has made clear in the past that he sees himself as a 4, and has been working on improving his game as a 4. Is there any reason to believe he would go somewhere to play the 5?

Multiple media guys reported this year that he understands that the game has changed and he's more of a 5 now. I can't remember exactly who said it, though. I was this year for sure.

If we don't retain Favors, what about Bender from Phoenix? His stock really can't get any lower and maybe they'd be willing to trade him for a couple 2nds?

For anyone who's watched him, with a good coaching staff (not Phoenix), is there something to work with there and can Bender play the 4?
He is project but still has good upside. I would be okay with him for a cheap trade. Especially where we have vets that can hold down the 4 while he develops.

It's a low risk high reward if you get him for cheap. His lateral movement is fast enough to play the 4 and he can shoot.

I think Favors is going to get a few good offers. I think he's gone. He's not a guy that wants to be sitting during crunch time.

He is project but still has good upside. I would be okay with him for a cheap trade. Especially where we have vets that can hold down the 4 while he develops.

It's a low risk high reward if you get him for cheap. His lateral movement is fast enough to play the 4 and he can shoot.

i would have thought Bender would have been better off as a 5 than 4

If by low risk you mean he's not an nba player right now so can't get much worse, i agree. Definitely low risk.

If by low risk you mean he's not an nba player right now so can't get much worse, i agree. Definitely low risk.

No, low risk in that it would not take much to get him and his salary is not that much. So if he doesn't pan out or isnt become a rotational NBA player, no big deal. Plus low risk in that we would not need him but it would be a bonus if he became decent.

Like Exum Bender was projected to be a big long term project. A very raw player with good upside. The Jazz FO could do more for him than Phoenix but I have no idea if he will live up to any of his potential.

i would have thought Bender would have been better off as a 5 than 4

I think he can play either. He is pretty weak and gets very overwhelmed at Center. He is also plays poor defense and gets lost so he sucks at both positions defensively right now. Offensively those positions are interchangeable. Although he is probably better suited to draw out centers and shoot or dive past them than PFs.

We have to find a way to keep Favors here in Utah, he adds to our team what is required to be successful. Miroshi* and all those other stretch 4s are streaky and too inconsistent. I rather keep Favors than to gamble on another project or experiment.

If Favors is not back (but I hope he is), and Jazz don't manage to get a big-name RFA or trade, don't sleep on Kevon Looney as a fall-back option.

He won't solve any offensive problems, but Warriors fans/media are semi-raving about him lately, and especially his improvement since he's gotten healthy. They're actually saying that he's a key weapon against Houston with his P&R defense, general hustle & smarts.

Since the Warriors turned down his option, they can't offer him much of value. He's six months younger than Exum, so still growth potential.

Said it before. If Faves wants to stay at the right price, I have 100% no problem with that. But if he leaves, I'm not going to boo him. He's been with this team through the dark times of Corbin. And I will always think of him as a Jazzman. Unless he pulled an Enes Kanter of course.

I hope Favors stays as well but my gut tells me he feels his time in Utah has run its course - the FO may feel the same way. I'd say 80/20 he's gone.

Not if their star players all have injury issues. The Jazz have seen multiple seasons derailed by injuries. That’s the problem it’s max contracts. If those guys can’t play or take a major step back, it kills your team AND your ability to fill those roles with new players. There’s going to be a LOT of medical issues that need to be resolved with that team before they’re contenders.

Hayward, Irving and Horford have all (now) had major injury issues at some point in their careers. They have to be committed to them. If they can’t stay healthy, or fail to produce. . . they’re not going anywhere.

What does this have to do with the Celtics becoming "all flash, no substance"? Steven's system and defensive focus are not flashy.