What's new

Favors next season?

Don’t know what the Jazz will be able to offer Favors this offseason. But he’s going to have to think long and hard about staying here. Jazz are building something special. Yeah, he may be able to get more money someplace else. But I think this team can contend for a championship. If he stays he can be a part of that. Grass isn’t always greener elsewhere.

Love the guy and hope we find a way to keep him.

Also, DL has proven hat he can hit big in the mid 20’s. Why sacrifice that option just to dump Burks? They’ll either trade him for a guy they want who costs more (Carroll, Faried, Porter, etc.) or buy him out after the deadline, or he will work on his game like never before knowing a contract year is coming up and kill it in pre-season and the jazz will have to find minutes and a role for him and then they re-sign him.
Fixed.
A guy can dream.

Fixed.
A guy can dream.
Ever the optimist. I love AB. But he’s just not a good fit for Quin’s team. I was encouraged early in the year when he was getting solid minutes, shooting well and playing better defense. . . then he ended up in the doghouse and never got out. He’s a true professional. Never bitches. Never complains. I hope they move him to a team that will make better use of his strengths and he breaks out. . . especially if it lands the Jazz a guy who can slot into the rotation or an asset of some sort.

Moving from the Jazz to the Suns would take serious desire to disappear into NBA oblivion. I guess money trumps it all, but the Jazz are on a 28-5 run, while the Suns are on a 3-30 run.
The only way I see tanking teams getting Favors is paying him twice as much as the Jazz. I love Favors but if one of those teams spend a good chunk of their cap on Derrick, they'll be tanking for years to come.

Moving from the Jazz to the Suns would take serious desire to disappear into NBA oblivion. I guess money trumps it all, but the Jazz are on a 28-5 run, while the Suns are on a 3-30 run.
The only way I see tanking teams getting Favors is paying him twice as much as the Jazz. I love Favors but if one of those teams spend a good chunk of their cap on Derrick, they'll be tanking for years to come.

Yes but phoenix ain’t a bad place to live during the season and if the come with a 4/60 type offer I don’t see what we’d be willing to offer that makes it work.

I think we are planning on having space in 2019 and singing both Favs and Dante to LT deals will definitely compromise that space.

How I see it working if Favs comes back is he goes on the market and gets offers for the full MLE (4/40) because Dallas and Atlanta are not buying. Jazz offer a 2/30 or higher but the second year is a team option. He banks 15M and if we don’t find something better he gets another good salary. If we decline the option he gets back on the market when there are more teams with space. I suppose if he’s willing to come back for 4/40 I’d do that as it is just a good allocation of resources. I’d try and descend the salary next year.

I think at that point we might have to pick between Ricky and Favs next year. If Dante is ready that’s probably an easy choice. Both guys may find the market to be more tepid than they like.

Don’t know what the Jazz will be able to offer Favors this offseason. But he’s going to have to think long and hard about staying here. Jazz are building something special. Yeah, he may be able to get more money someplace else. But I think this team can contend for a championship. If he stays he can be a part of that. Grass isn’t always greener elsewhere.

Love the guy and hope we find a way to keep him.
If you're the Jazz show him Hoods stats after he left. Less minutes, less points, less shots and I'd bet a lot less touches though I didn't try and look that up.

I was expecting Fav to step up and he did because Playoff Fav is real. 8 freaking offensive rebounds, are you kidding me?
We know what this dude is capable of. It's just a matter of playing with anger and focus. That's why he plays better in the postseason.

in 2012 playoffs he was UTA's only player that showed up and fought vs SAS.
in 2017 playoffs he made huge contributions basically playing one-legged. Posted 17/11 with 0 TOs in game-7 vs LAC

in 2012 he was 20 years old, in 2017 he was injured now he's healthy and experienced. I think he'll surprise people in the playoffs, some players just play better in the playoffs.

I have been hard on Favors in the past for not stepping up consistently. And when asked about the difference in tonight's game, Mitchell simply said - "Favors showed up." If he can continue to show up, we need to keep him. He is a big part of the positive culture right now.

I do really, really worry about the size of contract he might expect, but I think we can make it work. I hope that he can sign a declining contract so as the contracts for Gobert and Exum increase every year, the contracts of Favors and Ingles decrease every year.

I have been hard on Favors in the past for not stepping up consistently. And when asked about the difference in tonight's game, Mitchell simply said - "Favors showed up." If he can continue to show up, we need to keep him. He is a big part of the positive culture right now.

I do really, really worry about the size of contract he might expect, but I think we can make it work. I hope that he can sign a declining contract so as the contracts for Gobert and Exum increase every year, the contracts of Favors and Ingles decrease every year.
What?! LoPo thinks we should re-sign Favors?!

Mods, please ban this account until this person can regain control of whoever hacked their account.

What?! LoPo thinks we should re-sign Favors?!

Mods, please ban this account until this person can regain control of whoever hacked their account.

lol. I can be objective. I promise. I'm hard on Favors, but I also have to rain down praise when it's earned. There is an obvious chemistry between Favors and the rest of the main guys. I really wish he was on the contract AB is on and vice versa. I'm so scared we are either going to lose Favors for nothing or overpay him to stay. Either would be really bad for us at this point...

bring him backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Yep. Pay the man. At this point, I want pretty much everyone back except maybe Burks.

That’s not a knock on Alec as much as the reality that he’s not a great fit for Snyder and his roster/contract slot could be better used on a different player. (I still want DeMarre Carroll in the same role that Burks had to start the season.)

Plus, I’d really like to see Burks get a shot to be productive somewhere else. He’s been a good soldier. . . think the Jazz should come up with something good for him.

Favors is one of my favorite players in the last 10 years of Jazz basketball. I've been defending him on the Jazz boards for the last 2 years. I don't know what's going to happen with him. I don't know if the Jazz will be willing to match what it would take to keep him and I don't know if Favors would want to stay, but whatever he decides to do I will always cherish his time in Utah... the rare player who in two consecutive seasons sacrificed both his health and his future paycheck for the team and has been nothing but an exceptional teammate and lockerroom guy through the tough times he had. Played on one leg all season(and won us a playoff series) so we could push to keep Haywood even though he knew this would make his reputation take a hit and it did... and then this year is sacrificing his touches and numbers and the way he plays best in a contract year for the better of the team.

I love this guy. Whatever he decides, wherever he ends up past this season, he will be a Jazzman forever in my heart. Nothing but respect for the guy!

Favors is one of my favorite players in the last 10 years of Jazz basketball. I've been defending him on the Jazz boards for the last 2 years. I don't know what's going to happen with him. I don't know if the Jazz will be willing to match what it would take to keep him and I don't know if Favors would want to stay, but whatever he decides to do I will always cherish his time in Utah... the rare player who in two consecutive seasons sacrificed both his health and his future paycheck for the team and has been nothing but an exceptional teammate and lockerroom guy through the tough times he had. Played on one leg all season(and won us a playoff series) so we could push to keep Haywood even though he knew this would make his reputation take a hit and it did... and then this year is sacrificing his touches and numbers and the way he plays best in a contract year for the better of the team.

I love this guy. Whatever he decides, wherever he ends up past this season, he will be a Jazzman forever in my heart. Nothing but respect for the guy!
I love this post. I've been on Favors' side even last year when he was a shell of himself. I have repeatedly said they will have a hole at his spot if he doesn't come back. They need to sign him.

If it does end I hope both sides are fair with each other... like a Trevor Booker type ending.

I waiver back and forth on keeping him. You watch guys get marginalized and then completely disconnect... Favs has been marginalized a bit and certainly been an afterthought at times... never disconnected and delivers when we need him. Also, the Favs you see on TV that is just a great dude and is friendly and warm... that is who he is. Have had some limited contact with him before games with my son and he is by far the nicest, friendliest dude on the team. He has and is so genuine. I'm hoping his corner three shooting is real and that we find common ground on a new deal.

He is so impressive. I think there has been a turn here at the trade deadline and that he may be staying. I don't see the team that opens up the coffers for him... although a few teams should if they were smart.

If it does end I hope both sides are fair with each other... like a Trevor Booker type ending.

I waiver back and forth on keeping him. You watch guys get marginalized and then completely disconnect... Favs has been marginalized a bit and certainly been an afterthought at times... never disconnected and delivers when we need him. Also, the Favs you see on TV that is just a great dude and is friendly and warm... that is who he is. Have had some limited contact with him before games with my son and he is by far the nicest, friendliest dude on the team. He has and is so genuine. I'm hoping his corner three shooting is real and that we find common ground on a new deal.

He is so impressive. I think there has been a turn here at the trade deadline and that he may be staying. I don't see the team that opens up the coffers for him... although a few teams should if they were smart.
This is kind of how I feel. I still think the Jazz could (and maybe should) find a better fit to really take advantage of Gobert's strengths and open up the offense. I think there is a type of player out there that would be better and raise the Jazz ceiling. But favs is a great dude and has been a valuable player AT TIMES for this team. He isn't always a valuable or important player though. I think some fans just remember the good games and forget all the games where he has little or no impact. That's not all his fault, but I'm not really comfortable paying a guy 15 million for that kind of production and role combination. I'd also really like to maximize Gobert instead of "making it work" with what we have. We always talk about how Favs is sacrificing but Gobert has sacrificed a lot this year too with how he's forced to play in a congested area. It's pretty clear that Gobert is better with a stretch 4, and the best version of the Jazz will probably have a stretch 4 who can switch and defend on the perimeter. There aren't a lot of players like that out there, so maybe Favs ends up being the best short term fit.

If I'm Favs I probably leave to have a 30+ MPG role as a primary PnR option. I think he'll value that more in the end and move on. But if he comes back for a good shorter deal I'll be ok with that too.

This is kind of how I feel. I still think the Jazz could (and maybe should) find a better fit to really take advantage of Gobert's strengths and open up the offense. I think there is a type of player out there that would be better and raise the Jazz ceiling. But favs is a great dude and has been a valuable player AT TIMES for this team. He isn't always a valuable or important player though. I think some fans just remember the good games and forget all the games where he has little or no impact. That's not all his fault, but I'm not really comfortable paying a guy 15 million for that kind of production and role combination. I'd also really like to maximize Gobert instead of "making it work" with what we have. We always talk about how Favs is sacrificing but Gobert has sacrificed a lot this year too with how he's forced to play in a congested area. It's pretty clear that Gobert is better with a stretch 4, and the best version of the Jazz will probably have a stretch 4 who can switch and defend on the perimeter. There aren't a lot of players like that out there, so maybe Favs ends up being the best short term fit.

If I'm Favs I probably leave to have a 30+ MPG role as a primary PnR option. I think he'll value that more in the end and move on. But if he comes back for a good shorter deal I'll be ok with that too.

I honestly think what happens is he can't find a big long term deal and the Jazz do a 1+1 with a team option at like 15-18M or we work out a sign and trade.

I think Phoenix may be the team that gives him a good offer of the teams with cap space. Atlanta has $20M in space, but with the coach Bud stuff they are kind of showing their hand... I think they are fully committed to the process and won't use their space to acquire guys ready to help the team win.

Phoenix, Atlanta, and Dallas may all come out of the draft with a big and have bigger needs. Unless a good sign and trade option comes our way I think a functional one year deal at a good value will be best for both parties. He can hit the market still young and get a 4 year deal when more teams have space and the cap expands again.