What's new

Favors next season?

Please keep him. Solid starting 4 and incredible backup 5. If we lose him, we need to find 2 players (Udoh is not the answer) and very probably both will be worse and will get more money combined than Favors alone.

Please keep him. Solid starting 4 and incredible backup 5. If we lose him, we need to find 2 players (Udoh is not the answer) and very probably both will be worse and will get more money combined than Favors alone.
He’s the best 4/5 that’ll hit the open market. There’s no way the Jazz upgrade by moving on. Not sure what the contract looks like, but I think keeping Favors is critical to replicating the success of this season and building off it. Don’t think the Jazz are going to do anything dramatic this offseason, so hopefully keeping Favors and Exum on reasonable contracts are priorities #1 and 2.

From his last interview: I love playing for Coach Q and living in SLC.. Dennis is a great GM. I appreciate everything Miller family has done for me. I would enjoy coming back... love Rubio.. will work on my 3P shot and passing in the offseason.

Overall dude sounds super pumped and confident. Good timing because he really plays well in the playoffs:
in 2012 playoffs he was UTA's only player that showed up and fought vs SAS.
in 2017 playoffs he made huge contributions basically playing one-legged. Posted 17/11 with 0 TOs in game-7 vs LAC

in 2012 he was 20 years old, in 2017 he was injured now he's healthy and experienced. I think he'll surprise people in the playoffs, some players just play better in the playoffs.

If we can get the #3 or #4 seed, our draft pick won't be all that high (low 20's). I can definitely see a scenario where we look to trade Burks and trade down or out in order to comfortably re-sign Exum and Favors. Something like our pick #22 and Burks to Atlanta for #30 (they own Houston's pick).

I'm all for keeping Favors if we can sign him to a declining contract. Some kind of $13, $12, $11 type deal. If Ingles and Favors are on declining deals that end when Mitchell is due his first major contract, then our FO would have done well.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

If we can get the #3 or #4 seed, our draft pick won't be all that high (low 20's). I can definitely see a scenario where we look to trade Burks and trade down or out in order to comfortably re-sign Exum and Favors. Something like our pick #22 and Burks to Atlanta for #30 (they own Houston's pick).

I'm all for keeping Favors if we can sign him to a declining contract. Some kind of $13, $12, $11 type deal. If Ingles and Favors are on declining deals that end when Mitchell is due his first major contract, then our FO would have done well.

I think Favors will probably look for a 15m per deal, but otherwise, I can agree with that. Jazz need him on this roster badly. If he wants to work on his 3 ball, then it solves any problems with him and Gobert playing together.

I love Favs but to stay he likely gets less than market. Also I don’t think he’s ever a three point shooter. He’s worked on it... not sure it ever comes around.

I think he could stay if a scenario arise where he only gets offered the MLE. I could see Dallas and Phoenix going higher than that.

We don’t need to move AB to retain them both comfortably.

Maybe Phoenix or Dallas... he wouldn’t be option #1... but the sentiment is correct. He could likely get much less than we think.

I fully believe Phoenix is going to draft Ayton. I concede Dallas because they always are aggressive on the market. 15m seems high. I think we can resign Exum and Favors for ~20m which still gives us cap flexibility moving forward.

I love Favs but to stay he likely gets less than market. Also I don’t think he’s ever a three point shooter. He’s worked on it... not sure it ever comes around.

I think he could stay if a scenario arise where he only gets offered the MLE. I could see Dallas and Phoenix going higher than that.
How much more? And if it’s close to the Jazz offer, why wouldn’t they match? Why would he leave if they want him back?

I think guys have it in their head that a Gobert/Favors starting frontcourt doesn’t work. . . except that it does.

Anytime they’ve both been healthy, they dominate. They win. It was a little rough while Rubio was getting acclimated, but they’re rolling now. Don’t change it unless you have too.

We don’t need to move AB to retain them both comfortably.
Also, DL has proven hat he can hit big in the mid 20’s. Why sacrifice that option just to dump Burks? They’ll either trade him for a guy they want who costs more (Carroll, Faried, Porter, etc.) or buy him out after the deadline.

Also I don’t think he’s ever a three point shooter. He’s worked on it... not sure it ever comes around.

Just like Gobert will only be a gangly Euro-center with no real talent or physicality.
Just like Rubio will never be a shooter.
Just like Ingles will only ever be a fringe 3D player, if that.
Just like Mitchell will only ever be a back-up SG and role player (saw this comparison).
Just like Royce will never be anything in this league.

No disrespect is intended, but players transform themselves on this team if they work on it. Favs has the work ethic. Such a change really isn't even unprecedented for the Jazz. In his early years, Malone was basically a post up player. As his career went on, he developed quite a lethal mid-range jimmy that was his bread and butter. If Favs wants to be a long range 4, then why the hell not?

Just like Gobert will only be a gangly Euro-center with no real talent or physicality.
Just like Rubio will never be a shooter.
Just like Ingles will only ever be a fringe 3D player, if that.
Just like Mitchell will only ever be a back-up SG and role player (saw this comparison).
Just like Royce will never be anything in this league.

No disrespect is intended, but players transform themselves on this team if they work on it. Favs has the work ethic. Such a change really isn't even unprecedented for the Jazz. In his early years, Malone was basically a post up player. As his career went on, he developed quite a lethal mid-range jimmy that was his bread and butter. If Favs wants to be a long range 4, then why the hell not?

I get that but we act like he’s just now started working on it. It has looked more natural but it doesn’t go in. I think he’s worked on it and I’m not sure he ever gets it really consistently. He’s been in the program longer than anyone and still doesn’t have it.

His elbow jumper and mid floater has been great this year. I haven’t looked at the numbers just see it falling a lot when I watch.

How much more? And if it’s close to the Jazz offer, why wouldn’t they match? Why would he leave if they want him back?

I think guys have it in their head that a Gobert/Favors starting frontcourt doesn’t work. . . except that it does.

Anytime they’ve both been healthy, they dominate. They win. It was a little rough while Rubio was getting acclimated, but they’re rolling now. Don’t change it unless you have too.

Dallas Phoenix or Atlanta could offer more. He likely isn’t option 1 for any of those teams. If they come calling I could see 4/60ish.

I would go 4/48ish if it declines or another possibility is the deal Niko got 2/25... although if we did that I think he’d get a Player Option. We could go maybe 2/30 and get second year team option.

I get that but we act like he’s just now started working on it. It has looked more natural but it doesn’t go in. I think he’s worked on it and I’m not sure he ever gets it really consistently. He’s been in the program longer than anyone and still doesn’t have it.

His elbow jumper and mid floater has been great this year. I haven’t looked at the numbers just see it falling a lot when I watch.

Agreed, but part of his time was with Corbin. I'm probably overly optimistic, but he does take the shots and they go in occasionally (20% or so this year, and surprisingly 30% last year). If he can get it to 35% within a few years, he'll extend his career quite a bit. Given Quin and Co.'s track record, I think it's doable. We'll see though.

IIRC he started on working on this three last year. Even then he was finding this 'unusual'. Now he seems to understand the game has changed and he really needs to adapt.

His shot chart is below. Also added LMA's chart too for comparison. From
http://nbasavant.com

J7aEUuq.png

zYj0kFE.png

Last edited:
IIRC he started on working on this three last year. Even then he was finding this 'unusual'. Now he seems to understand the game has changed and he really needs to adapt.

His shot chart is below. Also added LMA's chart too for comparison. From http://nbasavant.com

HfYDQoT.png

HfYES8W.png

I can’t see the charts on my phone... I just think he tops out as a corner three shooter that maybe hits 35% on his threes.

I’m for keeping him on a value deal. Dude is straight class and the quotes you see are exactly who he is. I’m not in Utah and attend games in Oakland and Sacramento. My son and I hang out down by the tunnel pregame and Favs always stops talks and signs whatever my son has. Waited for him to take off his jersey before a playoff game. I love the guy and love that he is grateful for what he has here. I think it’s 50/50 that something works out.

He can be effective without the three... I think he can get better but it won’t be the key that unlocks this and I don’t think it should be factored into the decision... that’s all. Corner three is nice but it’s the above break three that really stretches the defense. He’s 20% on almost exclusively corner threes. His shooting motion is good from 15-18... pushing past that gets a little awkward imo.

No ****ing way Favors signs a **** contract like that. Stop thinking your signing him for less than he currently makes.