What's new

Favors next season?

Has anyone gone through and looked at likely destinations for him. He is a Georgia boy right? So I think I have heard talk about that.

Are the Jazz at least in the mix?

Atlanta is the intuitive choice but they have Plumlee's horrid contract to deal with at Center and plenty of needs elsewhere. I definitely wouldn't call him a perfect fit on The Hawks.

One team that I can see going after Favors is Indiana. They have zero low post depth and some decent cap space coming into free agency.

I can see them having some success with a Turner/Favors 4/5 combo.

Last edited:
The Jazz will offer similar money to other teams imo, its more a question of, is Favors happy with his role? Does he want to be on a bad team but playing 35mins or on a rising contender playing 27mins?

His value as an insurance policy cant be understated but I also wonder what Bradley can add? Can he fill that role Favors leave vacant if he leaves? Its a pitty we haven't been able to see him at all this year but Im sure the FO have an idea of what he can bring and if he will be ready.

Atlanta is the intuitive choice but they have Plumlee's horrid contract to deal with at Center and plenty of needs elsewhere. I definitely wouldn't call him a perfect fit on The Hawks.

One team that I can see going after Favors is Indiana. They have zero low post depth and some decent cap space coming into free agency.

They have Thad Yound and Favs would play behind Turner at C... I dont see that as viable.

Favs is a C in todays NBA. Not many teams but Utah are built to give him minutes at PF.

Young has a player option.

He'll most likely be an unrestricted free agent.

Plus he's undersized for a 4 and a below average rebounder pushing 30 . Probably time to move on anyway

Young has a player option.

He'll most likely be an unrestricted free agent.

Plus he's undersized for a 4 and a below average rebounder pushing 30 . Probably time to move on anyway

If he has all that going against him, what makes you think he'd turn down that $14M PO?

And again, I dont see teams bringing in Favors to play PF.

If he has all that going against him, what makes you think he'd turn down that $14M PO?

And again, I dont see teams bringing in Favors to play PF.

I think he opts in or opts out with a deal in place that is longer and more overall money... so trades his 1/14 for a 3/30.

Favs is tough... I could see phx or Dallas offering decent money... 4/50ish. His market could be really limited though.

I think the jazz offer a 1 year 12-15M deal if he can’t find anything... not sure we want him complicating our 2019 cap space.

I’m very curious to see how the Gobert, Favors, Crowder trio performs in the playoffs. The thing I really like about those three is that they can all play together.

Gobert / Favors
Gobert / Crowder
Favors / Crowder

All three combinations have been successful together since the trade. Add Sefalosha into the mix, and I’m really intrigued about keeping them together for next year.

Just food for thought:

The Jazz have been a lot better with Gobert and Crowder as the bigs than Gobert and Favors as the bigs, Favors and Crowder as the bigs, or Crowder playing beside them as the 3.

Then again, I'm on my phone and shooting from the hip. But that's the data I remember when I saw it last (and it was dramatic).

I think he opts in or opts out with a deal in place that is longer and more overall money... so trades his 1/14 for a 3/30.

Favs is tough... I could see phx or Dallas offering decent money... 4/50ish. His market could be really limited though.

I think the jazz offer a 1 year 12-15M deal if he can’t find anything... not sure we want him complicating our 2019 cap space.

Agree.

Just food for thought:

The Jazz have been a lot better with Gobert and Crowder as the bigs than Gobert and Favors as the bigs, Favors and Crowder as the bigs, or Crowder playing beside them as the 3.

Then again, I'm on my phone and shooting from the hip. But that's the data I remember when I saw it last (and it was dramatic).

I agree. Im in on Crowder being our solution at the 4 and investing our cap space elsewhere.

I think Favors real value to the team is as the back up C.

Just food for thought:

I think it depends on if Ricky is on the court too... cleaning the glass had an article that seemed to indicate that Favs and Gobert are pretty good together when Ricky isn’t on the floor too. They were just okay with all 3.

Something I’ve thought about... if the Jazz have someone they love at 11-12 would they be able to send our pick plus the unguaranteed salary guys to Charlotte for Marvin Williams and the 11 pick? Marvin and Jae have some similarities but you put them at the 4 and now you have shooting plus get a higher tier prospect.

Would you rather have Favs at 2/30 and say Troy Brown or Marvin Williams at 2/30 and Bridges or Zaire Smith?

The thing I wish was that we didn’t start with that group. We seem to start really slow sometimes.

Just food for thought:

Except for the end of The Spurs game when Utah couldn't get a rebound on either end of the floor because they kept luring Gobert out of position.

I love Crowder - but not as a full time PF.

They have Thad Yound and Favs would play behind Turner at C... I dont see that as viable.

Favs is a C in todays NBA. Not many teams but Utah are built to give him minutes at PF.
Nah, favors is great at pf offensively and defensively. He overpowers on offense at that spot and is quick enough to keep up on defense. The only issue is he doesn't shoot the three. Although he is working very hard on that. But if you're center shoots threes that isn't an issue.

Nah, favors is great at pf offensively and defensively. He overpowers on offense at that spot and is quick enough to keep up on defense. The only issue is he doesn't shoot the three. Although he is working very hard on that. But if you're center shoots threes that isn't an issue.

They can play Favors at the 5 and Turner at the 4 at times depending on the match-ups. Turner's can stretch the floor - he can hit the open 3.

Young's not horrible; but I'd view Favors as a huge upgrade and at probably the same money as Young's option year.

That's actually a really good option for him. Turner is a rim protector and is really comfortable on the outside. He could get a lot of minutes in his proper role there.

Favors has made clear in the past that he sees himself as a 4, and has been working on improving his game as a 4. Is there any reason to believe he would go somewhere to play the 5?

They can play Favors at the 5 and Turner at the 4 at times depending on the match-ups. Turner's can stretch the floor - he can hit the open 3.

Young's not horrible; but I'd view Favors as a huge upgrade and at probably the same money as Young's option year.

They could do that. Although I think Favors is better at guarding 4s than Turner. He is faster but at that point the 4 and 5 are interchangeable. Other teams will decide which big they guard with their own 4 and 5 anyways. So really all that matters is who your bigs are defending.

Young doesnt really stretch the floor that much either and Favors is an upgrade overall. Plus young has a player option next year and then is an UFA. So they might be looking for a longer term fit who is younger in someone like Favors. But who knows. Hopefully Favors is happy here and okay with his role. If that is the case I am sure he will take a reasonable offer from the Jazz.

IAW the Indiana call. They're horrid up front and yeah, he'd be a decent pairing with Turner though they both do not rebound so amazingly well.

If we don't retain Favors, what about Bender from Phoenix? His stock really can't get any lower and maybe they'd be willing to trade him for a couple 2nds?

For anyone who's watched him, with a good coaching staff (not Phoenix), is there something to work with there and can Bender play the 4?