What's new

Game Thread Feb 01, 2024 08:00PM MT: Jazz vs. 76ers

Added to Calendar: 02-01-24

Looking at the minutes/rotation along with production/stats its almost like Hardy is saying "jordan and keyonte, I love what you are doing out there. Taking highly contested off balance off the dribble shots that have little chance of going in is what I want in this offense. Keep up the good work. Now Sexton and Walker, you two are only taking good shots that are likely to go in. I need more off balance highly contested jumpers off the dribble from you two if you want more minutes. Oh and take it easy on defense, you are trying way too hard on that end. Conserve your energy for the offensive end guys."

I kind of get it. JC is able to create shots for himself in many different ways, while Ochai absolutely cannot (he would probably have 15% FG if he played like Clarkson). I understand why Hardy feels like he needs to give Clarkson so many minutes, because otherwise the Jazz might not be able to generate enough offensive opportunities. The problem is, like you said, JC is quite inefficient in the opportunities he does create, while offering nothing on the defensive end. It's just a tough situation. The Jazz need a better playmaker and scorer than JC currently provides.

We are 6 days away from knowing who gets traded.

Maybe the rotations suddenly change even if nothing happens and it was all just showcasing.

otherwise the Jazz might not be able to generate enough offensive opportunities.

That word "might" can probably be figured out, though I don't know how to.

I bet someone can look at offensive team numbers with Clarkson on the bench and with Clarkson in the game and see.

I don't know how to find those stats but I bet they exist. I would not be surprised to find out our offense is better with him on the bench.

I mean if you are generating offense that results in misses and turnovers (things he is doing this season at career high levels) then I don't think it's helpful.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sixers scored 17 points in Kessler's 9 minutes on the court and 50 points in his 14 minutes on the bench.
Post of the thread btw

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

I kind of get it. JC is able to create shots for himself in many different ways, while Ochai absolutely cannot (he would probably have 15% FG if he played like Clarkson). I understand why Hardy feels like he needs to give Clarkson so many minutes, because otherwise the Jazz might not be able to generate enough offensive opportunities. The problem is, like you said, JC is quite inefficient in the opportunities he does create, while offering nothing on the defensive end. It's just a tough situation. The Jazz need a better playmaker and scorer than JC currently provides.
The weird thing is I was going to come on here today and complain about how many to’s JC had but when I checked the box score it shows him only having one. I swear I recall complaining multiple times of him losing the ball due to recklessly being careless with the ball trying to dribble through the defense driving the lane. So then I was just going to complain about the fact he wasn’t passing to guys wide open while trying to drive the lane or shooting threes early in the shot clock and not easy threes either but I see he had 10 assists. My hell I give up. All I know is we looked worse with him in the game. I just want to see him traded for whatever we can get for him. Dunn could use a few more of his minutes.

While on the subject of minutes, there are three guys I feel should be getting more minutes, but don’t all three of these guys had the highest plus minus in the box score, Dunn Simone and Kessler. I don’t give a **** about the 5 out thing, ****ing start Kessler already. When he’s in the game we tend to go on runs. Simone is one of our best shooters, doesn’t dominate the ball and is our best wing defender. Dunn is just a bulldog mentality we need more of on the court and he and Sexton feed off each other. I wish Hardy played JC like Quin did. Sitting him in crunch time and no more than 22-24 min.

That’s mi peace

but I see he had 10 assists.
Had to look at his line again. Wow.
Speaking of assists.
I remember inside of 2 mins Sexton drove to basket then flipped it to Collins who was under the rim. Great pass. I believe it would have put them ahead. But Collins was contested and he missed and then the sixers quickly the other way made a 3.
Felt bad for Collins but worse for Sexton bc those are the kinds of assists Sexton needs to consistely make.
I'll take only 2 or 3, but of the crunch time variety, than a basic 10 or 20 !

You have to remember the keeper of the scorebook and stats are employees of the home team. So they might be instructed to ignore the bad stuff for certain players and really stretch the good stuff. Another person watching the film might arrive at far different numbers.

Sexton is looking more and more like a smaller Russell Westbrook more and more every game. By the way this is a good thing. He has a ways to go, but he’s improving his passing off the attack. The good news is Sexton is Steph Curry with his shooting compared to RW.

This probably won't be popular, but I feel Keyonte could benefit with some time in the GLeague. He is starting to develop some bad habits including chucking and making bad reads and decisions. Remember when the Jazz had their win string he was injured and out of the lineup. Right now is he better than Jason Preston or THT?
He definitely would not benefit from time in the gleague. The only benefit of the gleague is getting in shape. Otherwise it is just trash basketball. Also Keyonte was most definitely playing for most of our strong run. In fact he was a big piece of that run as a key part of our bench crew that was wrecking teams.

He definitely would not benefit from time in the gleague. The only benefit of the gleague is getting in shape. Otherwise it is just trash basketball. Also Keyonte was most definitely playing for most of our strong run. In fact he was a big piece of that run as a key part of our bench crew that was wrecking teams.
Right now Key is starting to remind me of Jared Butler. Key would only be a sophomore in college so he really has not played that much basketball. If he's too special for the Stars let him ride the pine and watch the game. Perhaps Hardy can impart some wisdom during the game from the comfort of the bench.

Keyonte shows signs of being a very good player but I'm getting some bad vibes. Instead of staying focused on the play or getting back on defense he pouts when his shots don't go in or a teammate misses a shot off of his assist. He also only seems to give full effort on D when he feels like it. I'm pretty sure his assist to FGA numbers are down, which is not the direction I'd like to see. I don't know I'm just not liking what I'm seeing at times even though I think he could become a great player and has the fearlessness to be a menace going both ways.

Regarding Kessler and Dunn, from KSL:

“So why didn't Kessler or Dunn play down the stretch?

Hardy's explanation was simple:

"We played man-to-man to start the half," he said. 'Once we went to the box-and-one, we felt like Simone (Fontecchio) was doing a good job on Maxey. The way they were running their offense, they sort of went away from him. So we were going to stay in that defense.

"When Walker's in, we don't play a ton of box-and-one because of how much ground you have to cover. John (Collins) was also having some good moments on the offensive end spacing them out. ... At the end, just based on the coverage we were in, we felt like keeping those guys on the bench made the most sense."

So there it is; Hardy trusted a defensive scheme over individual talent. Could there be other reasons (cough — trade deadline — cough)? Sure.

Last season, Utah played Jarred Vanderbilt and Malik Beasley heavy minutes before moving them last season. The same thing may be happening with the deadline now less than a week away”.

Talk about entitled. I'm not Olynyk's #1 fan but Keyonte has proved nothing in the NBA and has earned zero right to display that kind of body language during a tight game. Get his *** off the rotation until he grows up. The more we allow this ****, the worse it's gonna get in the future when his role grows.

Lauri has like 149 plays every game where they look him off when he's asking for the ball but you don't see him ****ing sulking.

View: https://x.com/g_had13/status/1753281407378423881?s=20

Haven't read this thread but just noticed this post. Totally agree. As I said I'm not liking the vibes from Keyonte l and I agree with you that it's only going to get worse. Hate to say it but I see chucker in his future unless he learns to play the game the right way. Goes back to earlier in the season when his direction became more playmaker and less facilitator.

Haven't read this thread but just noticed this post. Totally agree. As I said I'm not liking the vibes from Keyonte l and I agree with you that it's only going to get worse. Hate to say it but I see chucker in his future unless he learns to play the game the right way. Goes back to earlier in the season when his direction became more playmaker and less facilitator.
I mean Olynyk has his warts but he has a 10 year NBA career behind him and is known around the league for his high BBIQ and pass first mentality. You simply do not get to sulk if he doesn't give you the ball.

I mean Olynyk has his warts but he has a 10 year NBA career behind him and is known around the league for his high BBIQ and pass first mentality. You simply do not get to sulk if he doesn't give you the ball.
Looks to me like it was a turnover by Kelly and he made a poor decision. I'm not sure why you guys are ok with that. Looks to me like the Rook was correct.

Edit: I think Kelly actually drew a foul.

Still I'm not sure why everyone is ragging on the rookie. He is the least of our worries right now.

Last edited:
Looks to me like it was a turnover by Kelly and he made a poor decision. I'm not sure why you guys are ok with that. Looks to me like the Rook was correct.

Edit: I think Kelly actually drew a foul.

Still I'm not sure why everyone is ragging on the rookie. He is the least of our worries right now.
No he's a problem. He's a very bad NBA player with terrible body language who shouldn't be in the rotation if we're trying to win, yet he's treated as a "long term building block" and handed minutes while Hendricks is toiling in G-League hell and hoping to get a chance.

Didn't watch, but listening to Locke and others it seems like Sextons mental errors were deciding factors in the loss

Talk about entitled. I'm not Olynyk's #1 fan but Keyonte has proved nothing in the NBA and has earned zero right to display that kind of body language during a tight game. Get his *** off the rotation until he grows up. The more we allow this ****, the worse it's gonna get in the future when his role grows.

Lauri has like 149 plays every game where they look him off when he's asking for the ball but you don't see him ****ing sulking.

View: https://x.com/g_had13/status/1753281407378423881?s=20

WTF