What's new

Game Thread Feb 01, 2024 08:00PM MT: Jazz vs. 76ers

Added to Calendar: 02-01-24

Just calling out your constant crap. It was nice finally having game threads where you didn’t post a dozen or more times about your irrational hate for Sexton.
My constant crap of bringing up a legitimate grievance I saw being talked about on a forum where we talk about basketball?

Very hostile to try and make it personal.

No excuse for body language like that for not getting a pass from KO, a very willing passer.

However, I could understand the frustration if I had to be on the court with JC's overdribbling and constant turnovers, but Key really defers to him (to a fault). Go figure.

A coaches best chance to teach is when these guys are rookies/young. Hardy needs to be all over it.

My constant crap of bringing up a legitimate grievance I saw being talked about on a forum where we talk about basketball?

Stop trying to play the victim. The only victim here is every game thread up until a few weeks ago when you finally stopped making every post about how you don’t like Sexton.

You didn’t even watch the game and because you heard something bad about Sexton you come running back to embrace your favorite pastime.

You have the ability to be a good poster. Stop making everything about him and the board will be better for it.

Stop trying to play the victim. The only victim here is every game thread up until a few weeks ago when you finally stopped making every post about how you don’t like Sexton.

You didn’t even watch the game and because you heard something bad about Sexton you come running back to embrace your favorite pastime.

You have the ability to be a good poster. Stop making everything about him and the board will be better for it.
Man you are really butthurt right now

If JC does get traded THT going to get another opportunity me thinks. Could still show the Jazz some things back stretch

What he actually did:
Turnover
Missed floater
Made 3 pointer
Assist to markannen
Made layup
Assist to markannen
Assist to Collins
Made 2 free throws
Assist to Collins

6 points (on 2-3 from the field, 1-1 from 3, and 2-2 from the line), 4 assists, and one turnover.

If he does that every quarter then he finishes with 24 points (on amazing efficiency), 16 assists and 4 turnovers. I will take that all day every day.

He came out when he always comes out. (About 4 minutes left in the first).

If Hardy did take him out early after he made early mistakes and then played great afterwards (shot 100% and set up his teammates over and over and over) just to play Clarkson hella minutes while he struggled way more then that is strange.

Sent from my OPD2203 using Tapatalk
You missed his shot getting blocked, his poor defense, and his many missed rotations on both sides. But yeah he did have some nice plays after his poor start.

Sexton is Clarkson. Every Sexton fan was a huge Clarkson fan earlier.

A teachable moment. He is 20yrs old.
A play called that the ball was supposed to go to him there and someone called an audible and changed it. He still shouldn't sulk like that but he's getting frustrated that the team can't run the offense or defense like it's supposed to.

He has plenty of mistakes. But so does the rest of our guards. But he makes way more correct reads and rotations compared to other guards and knows the offense and defense better as a rookie. His shot isn't falling, the game is a little too fast for him, and he's a little too weak. Things that will all improve going forward.

Obviously Hardy gets upset with him despite him scoring. So it's a pretty legit grievance that our head coach agrees. Sexton was completely lost on defense multiple times. In the last 2 minutes he gave up a wide open 3 and got blown past without moving his feet. His defense is a huge concern because of his size and that he can't play within the system and can't stay in front of guys. On offense he's amazing at times but clearly has a tendency to keep his head down and doesn't play within the offense often.

Everyone keeps trying to say but but but what about Clarkson. That shouldn't matter. Clarkson is who he is and isn't changing. The coaching staff only needs him to play less but needs someone to push him there. Sexton can't. Our rookie is closer but isn't a winning player yet and probably won't be until year 3.

He isnt making everything about Sexton.... or Kessler... or Dunn.... or THT. Its just that if he decides to swim against the current then he works so hard to validate his take that he also loses sight of fairness and objectivity.

Its a textbook contrarian act. Whenever he isnt heavily invested for or against a guy, he makes good and fair observations both ways.

The jump ball that the Jazz then let another 10 seconds run off the clock before fouling?

The jump ball that the coach could have easily told Sexton to move because of hose things have a little setup time?
The 10 seconds ran off, because the player (Sexton) who was supposed to covering Maxey was nowhere to be found and the jumper had to run after him. And based on Hardy's comments after the game he most definitely, absolutely, clearly thought that Sexton should've been on Maxey... He came out just short of saying "I told him and the little ****er wouldn't listen again"

Agreed.. if it clicks it will be fun to watch. If the shooting doesn’t click then he is Ricky Rubio without the defense… let that sink in.

Ricky Rubio? An international playmaking prodigy who became one of the most respected PG's in the NBA? A guy who instantly improved every team he was on despite his flaws as a scorer? A very likely future Hall of Famer? That Ricky Rubio?

You're kidding.

Keyonte has a lot of work to do to become even a mid combo guard in this league. He's that bad now.

You missed his shot getting blocked, his poor defense, and his many missed rotations on both sides. But yeah he did have some nice plays after his poor start.

Lol bro you literally said you don’t like his on court personality so anything you say about him seems personal including weird posts like this.

Nope. Never a huge clarkson fan. Whole different levels of effort on both ends. Clarkson never ripped a ball away from a guy and then immediately dove on the floor to recover it like sexton did to pat beverly this game. Or guarded a guy full court not allowing him to get the ball over halfcourt causing a turnover. Sexton WAY WAY more efficient than clarkson could ever dream to be. Sexton dishes out more assists than clarkson ever has or will.

Clarkson for his career is 43% from the field. Sexton is 47%. Clarkson is 34% from 3. Sexton is 38%. Clarkson is 83% from the line. Sexton is 84%. Clarkson is 3.7 assists. Sexton is 4.1. Clarkson is 21 ppg. sexton is 22 ppg. Sexton gets to the line 5.2 times per game vs clarkson 3.3. (assists, free throw attemps and points are per 36 for a better comparison though if you use actual ppg and assist per game sexton is still better as he has averaged 30 minutes per game to clarksons 28)

Now if you just use their stats for their time with Hardy then Sexton dominates clarkson way more as clarksons numbers with Hardy are mostly down (other than minutes) vs the rest of his career, while sextons years with Hardy are his best years (other than his minutes being down).
Stats with the jazz this season: Clarkson 41.9% from the field and 29.6% from 3. Sexton 48.5% and 38.3%. Clarkson 87.9% from the line (on 4.5 attempts). Sexton also 87.9% from the line (on 6.8 attempts) Clarkson 21 ppg. Sexton 26 ppg. Clarkson 5.9 assists per game. Sexton 6.6 assists per game. Clarkson 3.3 turnovers per game. Sexton 2.7 turnovers per game. Clarkson 0.7 steals. Sexton 1.1 steals.
With the jazz sexton is the much better player. Its really not close. Basically the only clarkson is better at is rebounds (4.1 vs 3.8) and minutes (30.1 vs 24.3)

Sexton is the better and more efficient scorer, better passer, younger, harder worker, more coachable/adaptable, more fun, and with his defense improving probably the better defender going forward.
Also, i often time see posters say that our team is too nice. We need a Dawg. Someone a bit nasty. Well Sexton will talk some trash. He will get up into guys and be physical. Do some eye popping dunks. Pound his chest and slap the floor. Energy. Emotion. Fire. Fearless. Tough. Wont back down. Stuff this team mostly lacks and needs.

Last edited:

Also, in the post you quoted I didn't miss his shot getting blocked. That was his missed floater i mentioned. his only missed shot in the quarter was that one that was blocked. After that he shot 100% from the field.
As to your many missed rotations on both sides comment, you could say that about every player every game without offering the evidence. I posted the game highlight video (which granted doesn't show ever play but it does show most). watch it and give me time stamps of his poor rotations on both ends. You will see more poor rotations by other jazz players than you will for sexton. He had two blunders to start the game. then he shot 100% from the field and scored 6 points and dished out 5 assists in the next 5-6 minutes of play when he came out of the game at his usual time.

Keyonte has a lot of work to do to become even a mid combo guard in this league. He's that bad now.
Dude he already has two skills (passing and foul drawing) at above average NBA level, and one of those (FTR) is an elite skillset.

Doesnt mean he will be great (depends a lot on defense and shooting), but he is the best rookie in this stacked class for those two areas.

He was also drafted #16 as a 19 year old, so compare him to Amen or Scoot and tell me he is raw or sucks with those guys as your comparison points...

I happy that Hardy is giving Key a good amount of minutes each game. I wish he would do that more with the young guys in general and play the older guys less. But like most coaches, he favors the older players.

Last season the ranking by minutes looked like this:
Lauri
Clarkson
Conley
KO
Beasley
Dunn
Vando
sexton
luka
kessler
ochai
tht
(during a year when we were mostly in support of tanking that is no bueno)

This season it looks like this:
Lauri (33)
Clarkson (30)
Collins (28)
Sexton (24)
Key (24)
Simone (23)
Kessler (23)
THT (21)
KO (21)
Ochai (20)
Dunn (18)
Hendricks (14)

That list looks much better but the way its going lately KO will pass up kessler (kessler hasn't even hit 20 minutes once in the last 5 games even though he is averaging 23 for the year and KO is averaging about 20 in the last 5 games)
THT should be lower but DNP's dont affect minutes per game. Same with Hendricks lol. (We are 7-4 in games that hendricks got playing time including winning our last 5 in a row that he played in. which I know doesn't matter)

Last edited:
I happy that Hardy is giving Key a good amount of minutes each game. I wish he would do that more with the young guys in general and play the older guys less. But like most coaches, he favors the older players.

Last season the ranking by minutes looked like this:
Lauri
Clarkson
Conley
KO
Beasley
Dunn
Vando
sexton
luka
kessler
ochai
tht
(during a year when we were mostly in support of tanking that is no bueno)

This season it looks like this:
Lauri (33)
Clarkson (30)
Collins (28)
Sexton (24)
Key (24)
Simone (23)
Kessler (23)
THT (21)
KO (21)
Ochai (20)
Dunn (18)
Hendricks (14)

That list looks much better but the way its going lately KO will pass up kessler (kessler hasn't even hit 20 minutes once in the last 5 games even though he is averaging 23 for the year) and KO is averaging about 20 in the last 5 games)
THT should be lower but DNP's dont affect minutes per game. Same with Hendricks lol.
Last year 3 of our top 4 were 30+ years old. This season only 1 of our top 5 is 30+.

Good list.

He isnt making everything about Sexton.... or Kessler... or Dunn.... or THT. Its just that if he decides to swim against the current then he works so hard to validate his take that he also loses sight of fairness and objectivity.

Its a textbook contrarian act. Whenever he isnt heavily invested for or against a guy, he makes good and fair observations both ways.
Man your little baby act of "if you aren't talking about the thing me and a few other posters are saying you're just contrarian" is so tiring