What's new

Game Thread Feb 08, 2024 07:00PM MT: Jazz at Suns

Added to Calendar: 02-08-24

How on earth can all the other starter be -3, -5, 6, -8 but then John Collins is -20
It's the strangest thing with him.
Doesn't matter if he plays good or bad individually. The team will always suck when he is in the game. I feel bad for him about that

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

a lot easier to make when your nearest defender isn't within cooeee
Exactly. Jazz should have been shooting 50% from three and 60% from the field as well. And the jazz weren't even defended at all from the free throw line! So frustrating that the jazz were getting good looks and missing while the Suns got good looks and made them. Teams usually shoot better at home and worse on the road so that explains some of it.

Exactly. Jazz should have been shooting 50% from three and 60% from the field as well. And the jazz weren't even defended at all from the free throw line! So frustrating that the jazz were getting good looks and missing while the Suns got good looks and made them. Teams usually shoot better at home and worse on the road so that explains some of it.

True we have sucked so bad in the road

True we have sucked so bad in the road
Ya and I need to reiterate, this is the first game after trading 3 rotational guys and having 2 guys in the rotation that haven't played at all in like 20 or 30 games.
They haven't even had a practice with this rotation yet and had to face Durant on the road. Suns on fire and jazz cold.
Everything was in the Suns favor tonight and we still had our chances.

Suns played Durant 35 minutes. Allen 35 minutes. Gordon 38 minutes. Beal 36 minutes.

This wasn't a cakewalk for the Suns by any means.

(Jazz didn't have a single player over 33 minutes per the Hardy way)

Haven’t looked at the box score but feel like we missed a ton of free throws. Collin uncharacteristically missed a couple I know that for sure and THT missed a couple.

That along with turnovers was our biggest problems. I feel like our offense was good too. Made some defensive errors that lead to easy looks at three too.

Haven’t looked at the box score but feel like we missed a ton of free throws. Collin uncharacteristically missed a couple I know that for sure and THT missed a couple.

That along with turnovers was our biggest problems. I feel like our offense was good too. Made some defensive errors that lead to easy looks at three too.
Actually weren't bad with turnovers. Only had 13 before the last 2 minutes. But Lauri and Sexton each had 5.

We missed tons of free throws (67%), a bunch of wide open threes (34%) and a bunch of layups (43% from the field)

The Suns meanwhile were on fire from the field and from three (59% and 48%)

Short thoughts on the game: We played better than expected with all the rotation changes and were able to hang with one of the West contenders in their building. Hardy will figure out rotations in due time and it will get better after the AS break. Missed way too many FT's, had too many TOs and lost the 3 point shooting contest. Cannot really afford to do all those things when there is already a big talent disadvantage.

More thoughts on the more important subject, Hendricks:
  • Still looks big for his measurements out there. Officially the same height with Collins but looks WAY bigger.
  • Definitely felt like he was less hesitant than when we saw him first. Much more assertive on defense and on rebounds.
  • Needs time to learn how much better NBA players are than G League or College players. He was put in the washing machine a few times for biting on pretty standard moves. He will figure it out.
  • His 3 point shot is so flat, and I was hoping he gets more attempts but was happy to see him make 1 of his 2.
  • His finishes around the rim were off pretty bad. Hopefully those improve a lot if/when he gets comfortable out there.

I was pretty encouraged by this one. It was all around a decent game from our guys.

Lauri missed a lot of open 3s that are usually money for him and a few uncharacteristic turnovers. We also missed some easy shots that should have gone down. On the downside our rotations on defense were pretty bad. Our zone struggled we double covered some guys and left the other guy wide open. The hustle was there, just not doing the right thing. But Suns were also red hot from 3 and Durant was money especially early. THT had a few dumb shots as usual but overall was decent. I dont mind him getting 10-15 min. He plays defense and hustles which is good. He just needs to move the ball a little more and never take fade away shots. He looked at Clarkson who asked for the ball and immediately looked him off and passed to Hendricks for an open 3 he hit. Collins has learned to crash into the open part of the paint when our guys drive instead of waiting for the open pass. It really makes it easy for our guys who love to drive into the trees and get stuck sometimes. Its lead to good things, whether it leaves an easy pass or an easy putback off the contested miss.

As long as we dont start sitting guys the rest of the season I feel pretty good about staying where we are and making the play in at least.

We have a nice little break of a few days to get some practice in and figure things out before 5 game home stand that we should win 3 or 4 of the 5.

Lots more of this to come. Bench will be unwatchable. More zero-pass offensive possessions and back to the early season 15+ TO games. And keeping anyone under 120 will be rare.

Lauri missed a lot of open 3s that are usually money for him and a few uncharacteristic turnovers.
He was 2/6. Are you expecting him to shoot 50 or 85 % from 3?

He was 2/6. Are you expecting him to shoot 50 or 85 % from 3?
Yes, I expect wide open shots with no defenders around him to be makes more often than not because they are from him. Those are usually money for him. Those weren't all 6 of his shots.

Yes, I expect wide open shots with no defenders around him to be makes more often than not because they are from him. Those are usually money for him. Those weren't all 6 of his shots.
This. No one can ofc hit them every game but we really was needing them to connect, so it was a bummer missing those wide open looks, especially when Suns were too damn hot all game.

If you are going to lament not getting a certain player maybe consider he went 30 picks after the player you are ******** on and the fact that you had another pick that absolutely would have been the pick to use on said guy.

The next 10 games are all very winnable games.

Well... Hendricks is a hell of a better rebounder in the NBA VS G-League so there's that.
The most positive thing I saw last night is that he looks huge and fast. The physical and athleticism is there. The shot is there. He needs development. He will start getting it now.