What's new

Game Thread Feb 22, 2024 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Hornets

Added to Calendar: 02-22-24

Maybe the FO "wont intervene further" was actually 100% truthful, since they had already given Hardy the directive and he will handle business for them. So no "phantom injuries" this year, but instead "try different lineups" and "add rookie minutes" whenever it looks like we are about to be competitive. And then pull guys when they get too hot, like we did with Sexton in the 1st and Hendricks after the 3rd.

Hardy is a product of Pops tree, so he knows this business.

I will add one thing to my list of (paranoid) concerns..... Lauri played over 36 minutes. That is the most minutes he has logged in a non-OT game since December 24th. If we presume Hardy is helping the tank, is he also under instructions to play Lauri big minutes? JC gets big minutes to build up counting stats for sure, but Lauri doesnt really stand a chance to enter All-NBA convo this year, so if the same thing happens with him then can we read into it?

Its just one game and it could be that Hardy doesnt like TH or Collins fit with Kessler (he seemed to play Lauri with Kessler almost every time, but also with the others), but I will definitely pay more attention to the minutes distribution.

To keep fans interested and pay for tickets. Sales will drop now that the team is trying to tank,
I agree with you. A bit of unfair with fans there for me. I'm sure DA is too smart and he perfectly know from the begging of the season that this team have no chance to make play off. So yes, probably money come before going the right patch. They choose in between , keep fan spending money and then turn plug off.

Maybe the FO "wont intervene further" was actually 100% truthful, since they had already given Hardy the directive and he will handle business for them. So no "phantom injuries" this year, but instead "try different lineups" and "add rookie minutes" whenever it looks like we are about to be competitive. And then pull guys when they get too hot, like we did with Sexton in the 1st and Hendricks after the 3rd.

Hardy is a product of Pops tree, so he knows this business.

I will add one thing to my list of (paranoid) concerns..... Lauri played over 36 minutes. That is the most minutes he has logged in a non-OT game since December 24th. If we presume Hardy is helping the tank, is he also under instructions to play Lauri big minutes? JC gets big minutes to build up counting stats for sure, but Lauri doesnt really stand a chance to enter All-NBA convo this year, so if the same thing happens with him then can we read into it?

Its just one game and it could be that Hardy doesnt like TH or Collins fit with Kessler (he seemed to play Lauri with Kessler almost every time, but also with the others), but I will definitely pay more attention to the minutes distribution.
I agree with you. OR maybe just a strategy, playing Lauri heavy min a cpl of games to justify to sit him few games after that. General soreness.... Time will tell.

I agree with you. OR maybe just a strategy, playing Lauri heavy min a cpl of games to justify to sit him few games after that. General soreness.... Time will tell.
I hope his big minutes are just related to the fit issues we have with combining all the others.

Good news is that Keyonte is starting to feel like our 2nd best player already.

Bad news is that is partially because Walker can't stop ******** his pants
Kessler had a bad game. Most games the jazz are better when he is on the court

Sent from my OPD2203 using Tapatalk

Clarkson played the final 16:26 of the game. Why???
Because he always does. That's how he has used Clarkson rotationally all year. Clarkson comes off the bench yet is second on the team in minutes.

Last edited:
Hardy really watched Hendricks put up a 12-point 3rd quarter and decided not to play him the rest of the game.
Similarly, sexton was literally playing perfect basketball in the first quarter and so of course he was the first one to come out of the game (after only playing like 4.5 perfect minutes)
Tank on

Clarkson has been a real conundrum this year. I think he's been getting heavy minutes to try to build his trade value, but it keeps backfiring because he's played like absolute garbage most of the year.
Same thing happened last year. iirc (could be wrong) last year was his career high in minutes and this year is his second most minutes. Also you could argue that last year and this year are the two worst seasons of his career. It's odd.

keeping clarkson I think was a business decision. Playing him heavy minutes too is good for business. Limiting sextons minutes and increasing his efficiency might be a future move. He will have the best numbers come draft day and could net us a good return. Clarkson won’t cut it, but he sells tickets and his contract is team friendly next year.

Same thing happened last year. iirc (could be wrong) last year was his career high in minutes and this year is his second most minutes. Also you could argue that last year and this year are the two worst seasons of his career. It's odd.

Edit: Last year was not one of his worst years. Last year he was pretty good statistically.

keeping clarkson I think was a business decision. Playing him heavy minutes too is good for business. Limiting sextons minutes and increasing his efficiency might be a future move. He will have the best numbers come draft day and could net us a good return. Clarkson won’t cut it, but he sells tickets and his contract is team friendly next year.
Clarkson does not sell tickets lmfao.

The Jazz tried to trade him but couldn't because he has tanked his value this season by shooting the ball terribly.

I think Clarkson is here until the end of next season unless he is killing it next season enough to rehab his value for a mid season sell off.

Best case is the Jazz and Clarkson have an honest sit down at the end of the season and put him more in a 7th man role, not 6th man, as in you are playing 20-25 mpg, not 25-30.

Kessler had a bad game. Most games the jazz are better when he is on the court

You can always count on Cy and the hater brigade to come out of the wood work when Kessler has a bad game. It was the same thing with Keyonte last month when he was struggling for a few games.

Hardy has the strangest in game brain farts when it comes to handing out minutes. It doesn't make any sense to sit Hendricks the entire 4th quarter when he just had the best quarter of his career. He does the same thing with Kessler all the time where he has a huge impact and then suddenly sits the rest of the game.