What's new

Game Thread Feb 22, 2024 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Hornets

Added to Calendar: 02-22-24

To keep fans interested and pay for tickets. Sales will drop now that the team is trying to tank.
I know I've pretty much stopped watching this year. No point. Even the players seem to have caught on that the tank is on so their effort is haphazard. This is the darkest timeline. We never fully committed to the tank, and we never committed to win-now, so we end up like a death row inmate strapped to the machine that isn't injecting the chemicals right, so we aren't passing out and we are getting the meds slow enough that we aren't really dying either. We are just convulsing on the table, fully aware of the nightmare, but we have to realize we caused it ourselves. This sucks.

The darkest timeline. I'll start making black felt goatees for everyone.

This was kind of the dream tank game. Young players played well and still caught the L.
Hopefully we see more games like this. I wasn't expecting Hendricks to get a chance to start unless injuries dictated it so hopefully this is a permanent thing to finish the season. I'm even more excited to see Brice his opportunity to show what he can do. I expect him to quiet the doubters pretty quickly after they see how potent of a scorer he can be.

I know I've pretty much stopped watching this year. No point. Even the players seem to have caught on that the tank is on so their effort is haphazard. This is the darkest timeline. We never fully committed to the tank, and we never committed to win-now, so we end up like a death row inmate strapped to the machine that isn't injecting the chemicals right, so we aren't passing out and we are getting the meds slow enough that we aren't really dying either. We are just convulsing on the table, fully aware of the nightmare, but we have to realize we caused it ourselves. This sucks.

That sucks for you. I know I am going to enjoy watching the young guys take their lumps and grow.

I will add one thing to my list of (paranoid) concerns..... Lauri played over 36 minutes. That is the most minutes he has logged in a non-OT game since December 24th. If we presume Hardy is helping the tank, is he also under instructions to play Lauri big minutes?
If Lauri had played his normal stints, he wouldn't have had those minutes. Hardy already sent Lauri to the scorers table, but then pulled him back when Hendricks was cooking. That then meant that Lauri played the final 14 minutes. Otherwise he would've had a short stint, short rest and then back for the final 6-7 minutes.

Same goes for Hendricks. Because Hardy extended his stint in the 3rd, he ended up playing 10 minutes - which is a lot for a rookie's first start. So when he was rested enough to come back, Hardy probably felt it was too late.

Hardy has the strangest in game brain farts when it comes to handing out minutes. It doesn't make any sense to sit Hendricks the entire 4th quarter when he just had the best quarter of his career. He does the same thing with Kessler all the time where he has a huge impact and then suddenly sits the rest of the game.
But Clarkson and Collins can struggle mightily and get their same minutes no matter what (both guys are top 3 on the team in minutes. In a year that we are tanking lol)

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Its still fun watching the young guys play and get experience. It is very weird watching hoping for losses so that we can keep our pick. I think they will look to move the pick this year for win now talent BUT its certainly not the most exciting goal to close the season out.

Positive notes:

Sensabaugh processes basketball at an nba speed. He is limited by quickness but guys with size who can shoot and process can play.

Hendricks isn’t a high bbiq player like keynote but he isn’t terrible like John Collins. I think that Taylor is making reason improvements each game.

Positive notes:

Sensabaugh processes basketball at an nba speed. He is limited by quickness but guys with size who can shoot and process can play.

Hendricks isn’t a high bbiq player like keynote but he isn’t terrible like John Collins. I think that Taylor is making reason improvements each game.
Uhh, how did you get that from Brice in that game? He has two huge errors that came as a result of not processing the game at NBA speed. Granted I think they were just nerve things, but I don't think he really proved that he can do that yet. If anything he proves the opposite of what you said about him in both cases because his athleticism was what he displayed best last night on both ends.

And IDK that Hendricks is low IQ. Hes made a couple of really nice plays that I didn't think he could do with passing. Hes just incredibly awkward with the ball.

Its still fun watching the young guys play and get experience. It is very weird watching hoping for losses so that we can keep our pick. I think they will look to move the pick this year for win now talent BUT its certainly not the most exciting goal to close the season out.
It's a bit disheartening that with our trove of assets we presumably had a single mid-upper-tier player in mind, and whiffed on that, and couldn't pull anything off. I get that if what they wanted wasn't there you don't go impulse shopping but with our assets you'd think they could pull something besides asset consolidation off. I guess we'll see what happens in the summer. I'm afraid we are going to see asset expiration before we see high-end moves

Hardy has the strangest in game brain farts when it comes to handing out minutes. It doesn't make any sense to sit Hendricks the entire 4th quarter when he just had the best quarter of his career. He does the same thing with Kessler all the time where he has a huge impact and then suddenly sits the rest of the game.
The rotations are out of whack as he tries to figure out which lineups work. He let Hendricks rock in the 3rd, but he played too much. Then when it would be the natural time for him to sub back in, it's crunch time minutes and Hardy isn't there yet with Hendricks.

But Clarkson and Collins can struggle mightily and get their same minutes no matter what (both guys are top 3 on the team in minutes. In a year that we are tanking lol)

The man has 18 rebounds and has the highest plus minus on the team and people still want to talk negative nonsense.

To me three things stuck out in Brice's game:

1. On the 3 to beat the buzzer at the end of the 3rd, he caught the ball, knew how much time he had and made the right decision. He happened to make the shot. But the process was correct.

2. I forget the exact time but I think in the early 4th the ball got rotated to him with small advantage. He beat his man with his right hand and had his head up. The help came with a soft close and the other defenders were in the passing lanes. So the correct read was to take a little mid-ranged shot. He missed the shot. But again I thought his process was correct.

3. On a defensive possession in the 2nd quarter, he was overplaying a guards right hand to force them back to their weak hand. I assume that was part the scouting report.

In general I felt, Brice was making the right offense reads most of the time. Assuming he can get a 15-20 minutes for the next five games we can see what happens with different matchups.

Also as a point of comparison Taylor Hendricks is predetermining most of his moves.

The man has 18 rebounds and has the highest plus minus on the team and people still want to talk negative nonsense.
I was speaking of the season not the game last night.

Similarly, sexton was literally playing perfect basketball in the first quarter and so of course he was the first one to come out of the game (after only playing like 4.5 perfect minutes)
Tank on

Sent from my OPD2203 using Tapatalk
That was because of an injury worry. Can't remember which beat writer tweeted it, but there were quick/temporary concerns that Sexton had tweaked something. If you noticed, he was back into the game within a minute when they realized that he was OK.

That was because of an injury worry. Can't remember which beat writer tweeted it, but there were quick/temporary concerns that Sexton had tweaked something. If you noticed, he was back into the game within a minute when they realized that he was OK.
I remember that but it was later in the game. He got kicked on the nuts and came out for a second and quickly went back in.

When he was taken out in the first quarter he didn't come back in until 6 minutes left in the second quarter.

I remember that but it was later in the game. He got kicked on the nuts and came out for a second and quickly went back in.

When he was taken out in the first quarter he didn't come back in until 6 minutes left in the second quarter.

Pretty sure that's not correct. I didn't watch in real time, and I had read your initial post, and so was watching carefully at that point when I did go back to watch it. He did indeed go out quickly in the first quarter, but then was back in very quickly (and missed a 3, ruining his perfect game to that point) before he went back out on more of the normal timeline.

Pretty sure that's not correct. I didn't watch in real time, and I had read your initial post, and so was watching carefully at that point when I did go back to watch it. He did indeed go out quickly in the first quarter, but then was back in very quickly (and missed a 3, ruining his perfect game to that point) before he went back out on more of the normal timeline.
Huh. Doesn't show up in the play by plays on ESPN or NBA.com. strange.

I believe you though.