What's new

Game Thread Feb 23, 2023 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Thunder

Added to Calendar: 02-23-23

Oh wow, WK and Lauri were amazing and won this game despite having one of the worst second units we've run out there in recent memory. I was kind of upset when I woke up and saw the score, but after watching the game I was pumped, and still am. Just wow, we got a good thing going.

We only have maybe a handful of guys total on this team that need to be guarded. Alternatively we can throw out the most competent defensive units we've had in a couple of years. We're likely to have some really ugly basketball the rest of the way.

I like what Dunn brought for the most part. Watching his on ball defense vs what we've had on this team recently is pretty revealing.

This game was like a fever dream. Lauri and Kessler. Goodness. They played out of this world to make up for a few awful games by their teammates.

I want to see more of Dunn. We've been talking about him for a few years and it will be interesting to see if he keeps playing well and more importantly, sticks.

Tbf, even the most hardcore tankers cannot be mad seeing Lauri and Walker play like they did. In fact, if those 2 continue to get better like this they will soon forget the draft is even a thing.
Yep. I’m definitely pro tank, and I’m happy to see this team win like they just did. Put the game on Lauri and WK’s backs and let it roll. If they win, that’s worth celebrating. It sure feels like Markkanen and Kessler are both making leaps towards star status.

Down the stretch it was a battle of the tank (THT) vs Lauri and THT almost had it.
I was literally thinking this as I watched the 4th quarter. It felt like lauri vs THT and I wasn't sure who would win but I was actually rooting for Lauri despite being a "tanker". Team worked too hard in that game to want them to lose it.

Last edited:
The elevation in traffic on the drive against KW was pretty impressive. His bounce is very underrated.
Question. Is lauri in the same realm of "bounce" as young Dwight Howard? As in dunk contest worthy?

Great game. Lauri and Kessler dominating. I thought Sexton would rip his thigh again he was so pumped up for his team.
That Sexton sure is a loveable bastard. He was adorable in the skills challenge too. In fact, JC Sexton and Kessler were all adorable as a team. The core guys really seem to like each other and have great chemistry. Some really good personalities on this team.

That Sexton sure is a loveable bastard. He was adorable in the skills challenge too. In fact, JC Sexton and Kessler were all adorable as a team. The core guys really seem to like each other and have great chemistry. Some really good personalities on this team.
And it seems the 4 key guys Lauri, Kessler, Sexton and Ochai are all hungry to learn and get better. They dont think they are there yet, individually or as a team. Very coachable, and Lauri sets a great tone for any rookies coming in as well.

Lauri gets better with more demands placed on him. He will follow coaches orders but it has hurt him in the past as he just likes to blend in. This year he was forced to be the number one option and he has done well. This is why I would advocate to get a team full of Robins to surround Lauri and treat him like Batman. I think he will get even better.
I mean at this point its obvious that lauri is a #1 option. we have found the hardest thing to find. Now just gotta build around him.

And it seems the 4 key guys Lauri, Kessler, Sexton and Ochai are all hungry to learn and get better. They dont think they are there yet, individually or as a team. Very coachable, and Lauri sets a great tone for any rookies coming in as well.
Yep. The lack of ego is quite nice and refreshing.

Question. Is lauri in the same realm of "bounce" as young Dwight Howard? As in dunk contest worthy?
I read, after an exhaustive 5 minute google search, that Dwight had a 39.5 inch running vertical jump. Some have claimed that Lauri has a 40 inch running vert. I saw a couple of videos that showed both of them jumping near the rim and they look nearly identical. Dwight might have been more explosive, given he is a couple inches shorter at 6'10", but with examples like the dunk in the 4th from Lauri last night, he isn't that far behind. I think he could compete in the dunk contest. Remember, Dwight's superman dunk wasn't actually a dunk. He threw the ball through the hoop, didn't really dunk it. In fact didn't even touch the rim. I think Lauri is athletic enough with enough hops and explosiveness to put on a good show, why not?

Since the trade deadline last year, the Jazz have traded 10 rotation caliber players - Mitchell, Gobert, Jingles, Bogdanovic, Conley, O’Neale, Beasley, Vanderbilt, NAW and Beverley. . . plus they waived Westbrook before he ever played a game for them.

Despite these circumstances, they have put together a scrappy team with a legit All-Star player, a handful of savvy vets (that can mostly shoot), a couple of promising rookies and a boatload of future draft picks . There’s no quit in this team. They still need of some perimeter defense and an overall infusion of talent, but I’m really happy with the direction they’re heading.

You are incorrect
Seems odd if the whole point is that they want to see the team lose.

Then again, I'm not a tanker, so their mentality is odd and mysterious to me. Perhaps tankers want to see wins, and maybe the term is just a branding issue at this point.