What's new

FIBA Stuff

This is just off, sorry. As an American who's worked for the Chinese Olympic Committee for years I can tell you they have and are investing a lot. Like a **** ton a lot.

You can call it obscure because it is in USA. But ping pong is not obscure in many many countries. Everyone in China plays it and enjoys it along with a lot of other skill games, like badminton, Chinese version of hacky sack, billiards, and a bunch of others. There are plenty of other countries that love it as well.

It's definitely a skill vs athleticism thing in China. If you focus on one thing and the way to get better at is do it over and over and over again non stop you'll develop skills, but you won't develop athleticism. That's the methodology and belief in China.

China wants to win a lot of medals and dumps money into anyone they think will do that. Look at snowboarding this year. They also really want to be good at the popular sports. They are very embarrassed and upset about losing in basketball and soccer and are putting big efforts to change that. But it takes time and the effort can be wrong.

China is still a fairly poor place for the average person. The well off people don't care about sports for kids. Your entire life is about getting a good score at your college entrance exam. That is the only way to make a good life for yourself and it's been pushed hard. It's only recent that parents are letting their kids play sports, besides the poor kids that get pulled out of school and moved away from home to be "athletes". In China you focus on one sport and school is pretty much done. This model is changing but it will take a generation for it to take effect.
sadly,as a jazz fan and high school student in China,i agree with what you said

Classic "quiet" and insanely effective game from Lauri. Finland wins 90-75 and Lauri scored 32/9 on 9/13 FG and 11/12 FT in just 24 minutes.

He got a pretty good whistle which helped. Had a rough first quarter but from 2nd quarter on he started drawing fouls and scoring constantly.

Man he looks good. That shot at 24 seconds was smooth.
Yeah, that’s what I expect him to do more this upcoming season. From the stationary position bully his way to the paint and shoot or to the rim for a layup or a dunk. In this clip he does it also at 1:25 and 2:03 mark. Would give him more free throws too.

Jordan Clarkson went Godmode vs china. 33 pts, 5 straight 3 pt shots all in the 3rd.
Clarkson is one I'm excited about this year. It could be another really fun season, although I'm expecting a bit of a let-down overall but we could be pleasantly surprised again.

The JC roller coaster is one of the funnest when he’s rolling.
It was cool to see him look like he was having fun (in the highlights I saw). He's looked so stressed the other games, having the weight of the Phillipines on his shoulders.