What's new

FIBA Stuff

These FIBA games have got me thinking that we'll have a team with more players who can "detonate" than I ever remember having. Maybe as many as any other team in the league? Players who won't be "on" all the time, but when they are, just get them the ball as often as possible and enjoy the ride:
  • Clarkson
  • Fontecchio
  • Markannen (though maybe a little too consistent to call a true detonator)
  • THT
  • Sexton (I think he deserves the label, even though last year wasn't a good indicator)
  • George (I'm almost certain he'll have the capacity to have really great games)
  • Sensabaugh (maybe? -- I'm projecting a little here)
Wonder how Hardy will manage/try to maximize this potential.

These FIBA games have got me thinking that we'll have a team with more players who can "detonate" than I ever remember having. Maybe as many as any other team in the league? Players who won't be "on" all the time, but when they are, just get them the ball as often as possible and enjoy the ride:
  • Clarkson
  • Fontecchio
  • THT
  • Sexton (I think he deserves the label, even though last year wasn't a good indicator)
  • George (I'm almost certain he'll have the capacity to have really great games)
Fonteccio averaged 6 ppg on 37% shooting....

If that's the criteria every team has 12-14 of those guys on their roster

Fontecchio play well and shoot well at the WC ( 21/5/3.3) last 3 games. I still find strange that he cannot be more consistent with the jazz. Of course level is higher butt still....

Fonteccio averaged 6 ppg on 37% shooting....

If that's the criteria every team has 12-14 of those guys on their roster
Well, that wouldn't be my criteria. I can think of many NBA players in the FIBA tourney alone who are clearly or arguably better (or at least comparable) NBA players than Simone who I wouldn't consider as "detonate"-able as he is:
  • Kyle Anderson
  • Yuta Watanabe
  • Nikola Jovic (maybe debatable -- he did have at least one really nice game in this tourney)
  • Wenyen Gabriel
  • Thanasis Antetokounmpo
  • Josh Hart
  • Dyson Daniels
  • Dante Exum
  • Josh Green
  • Joe Ingles
  • Matisse Thybulle
  • NAW (maybe debatable with the NO version)
  • Nicholas Batum
(just to mention to the wing, PF types)

The JC roller coaster is one of the funnest when he’s rolling.
Yes that was good ol jc fun.

In an interview he said he feel young and will play in the next World Cup 2027. He’ll be 35 by then. Seems like he’ll be around longer.

China Serbian coach said they lost focus on that jc barrage in the 3rd. He scored 24 points in 4 minutes.

Chinese court side commentator blasted the Chinese league CBA saying they are soft and not on this level. Players don’t play with a sense of urgency.

• Clarkson
  • Fontecchio
  • THT
All the guys there are "score first" type of dudes whose mindset is to get a bucket. The "detonation" part is about them getting in the zone and hitting all their shots. The problem in maximizing them is you dont know who is gonna get that hot streak and when.

For example, in that last Phillipines game JC hit five 3s in a row all of a sudden. Guess what happened to his other 5 attempts? He missed them all. So how could you know he was about to hit 5 in a row all of a sudden? You couldn’t.

The answer to maximizing them is the same it always has been. Headcoach needs to identify who is looking shaky/insecure and sub him, and who is looking confident and keep him on.

But rotations are planned based on players overall contribution (also accounting scheme, fits, opponent and situation), not just scoring. And "detonation potential" doesnt really change that.

Caught a glimpse of Carlos Arroyo at the Italy/Puerto Rico game. Is he a spectator, or does he have a role with the team?

Fontecchio shoots just 5/16, but comes away with a 12 pt, 12 reb line as Italy defeats Puerto Rico and moves on to the next phase.

I wonder if Josh Giddey could be pried away from OKC given their other PG options. If he ever learns how to shoot he’ll be an absolute star. Also DedEx had an excellent tournament, including 47% from 3, hope he gets an opportunity to play in Dallas.

And Jingles is only going to Orlando so his kids can play at Disneyworld. Dude is done.

Well, that wouldn't be my criteria. I can think of many NBA players in the FIBA tourney alone who are clearly or arguably better (or at least comparable) NBA players than Simone who I wouldn't consider as "detonate"-able as he is:
  • Kyle Anderson
  • Yuta Watanabe
  • Nikola Jovic (maybe debatable -- he did have at least one really nice game in this tourney)
  • Wenyen Gabriel
  • Thanasis Antetokounmpo
  • Josh Hart
  • Dyson Daniels
  • Dante Exum
  • Josh Green
  • Joe Ingles
  • Matisse Thybulle
  • NAW (maybe debatable with the NO version)
  • Nicholas Batum
(just to mention to the wing, PF types)
This has to be one of the more hilarious homer post.

Last edited:
America got crushed.

Lithuania was in fire from 3, but offensively they got what they wanted.

Reaves is baby diaper soft in the post and Lithuania exposed him.

Even when they missed they got easy rebounds.

Edwards is the only player who plays with any kind of defensive intensity. Walker got carved up in drop coverage when he played.

America got crushed.

Lithuania was in fire from 3, but offensively they got what they wanted.

Reaves is baby diaper soft in the post and Lithuania exposed him.

Even when they missed they got easy rebounds.

Edwards is the only player who plays with any kind of defensive intensity. Walker got carved up in drop coverage when he played.
Walker's FT shooting still looks abysmal and we got people asking what if he becomes Brook Lopez lmao
You are so weird. What does talking **** about our young star do for you? You were already dead wrong about him and now you just look desperate.

The JC roller coaster is one of the funnest when he’s rolling.
Yep when he is in flamethrower mode there is nothing more fun. Plus I still maintain that he is one of the best in the league finishing in the paint (dont have the stats to back that claim up though)

too much iso for team USA and screens were soft. Lithuania stayed with their man without switching. Otoh once Lithuania sets a screen the defender gets smoked leading to wide open corner 3s.

You are so weird. What does talking **** about our young star do for you? You were already dead wrong about him and now you just look desperate.
Talking ****? Dear lord, I'm not a homer, I'm a person who can think objectively and critically

I'll never get fans who think everyone should be blindly positive 24/7.

Talking ****? Dear lord, I'm not a homer, I'm a person who can think objectively and critically

I'll never get fans who think everyone should be blindly positive 24/7.
Dude you are one of the least objective people in here. Objective people are open-minded, aware of their bias and listen to others.

You stick to your opinions like your life depends on it.

Dude you are one of the least objective people in here. Objective people are open-minded, aware of their bias and listen to others.

You stick to your opinions like your life depends on it.
Nah man everyone agrees that THT is objectively him… without bias… if you were good at critical thinking you’d see it too.

I don’t think you can both 1) claim to be the objective side 2) dismiss criticism because the player plays on your favorite team. Like why does it matter if Kessler plays for the Jazz he got cooked today. But I do agree that deeply unserious people remain unserious :)

I think Kerr got too cute with his roster selection. This is why USA basketball should probably have a coach that coaches in FIBA instead of NBA/college coaches who don’t care and are there in vacation and to recruit. Kessler wasn’t getting the job done….but no other options really. So even though he was ineffective today they should probably lean on him more. Mistakes were made in the construction of this roster but it cannot be fixed now. Even JJJ is kinda “soft” as a big man.

Rebounding is such a big part of the game but was totally overlooked. USA can still win the World Cup, but they will have to do so by winning shootouts or by Kessler adding that big man element the team is desperately needing. Chances are, Kerr won’t give him the chance so shootout it is. But USA are getting tougher shots and less of them because they give up so many rebounds.