What's new

FIFA World Cup 2018

Why doesn’t soccer use a time keeping system like basketball and football?
Why not just stop the clock when the action stops? Why do they do the whole stoppage time thing?

Faster pace. Referees just compensate at the end of each half by adding a few minutes. Sure, you don't get the full 90 minutes of gameplay but its more fluid. There are no annoying timeouts or ads. Most fans prefer it that way.

Don't kill me for this, but I went to some football games (american football) while I was living in US and struggled a little bit with the amount of timeouts/clock stoppage and just dead time between plays. There is no such thing in football (soccer). My favorite part was the camaraderie and atmosphere outside the stadiums.

Regarding reviews, I like how they are using it this World Cup: only for goals/penalties which are key plays. There had been a few bad calls already that were overturned by VAR (the new replay system). Hopefully it never gets as far as the NBA, where in my opinion is overused and therefore kills the flow of the game (for example spending two or three solid minutes to determine whether a player was out of bounds or whatever). It's a compromise between flow-getting calls right and the NBA went too far IMO

Side note: something I really appreciate in football rules (soccer) is 'ley de la ventaja' or 'advantage law?'. Refeeres DO NOT call a foul when doing so harms the attacking team (for example in a fastbreak). In the NBA, it kills me that they don't implement something along those lines. Teams just take advantage of this loophole and foul at the start of fastbreaks (we are one of the best at eurofouls). And the worst part is that then referees spend two minutes to decide if there was a clear path. Just let the play continue. I know, this adds subjectivity on the referees part, which is something I feel is usually opposed on American sports). In football we accept the fact that referees may get some calls wrong in the sake of simplicity/pace/flow.

So there are things both sports could learn from each other

Reactions: MVP
Nervous for the game against France. Usually Peru struggles against athletic teams that pressure the ball a lot and force turnovers from the defense. Mbappe and Pogba are scary. Peru on the other hand has a finesse game which would drive France nuts if Peru scores first (similar to Spain's tiki taka).

Faster pace. Referees just compensate at the end of each half by adding a few minutes. Sure, you don't get the full 90 minutes of gameplay but its more fluid. There are no annoying timeouts or ads. Most fans prefer it that way.

This answer is not good enough. There has to be a better one.
They could stop the clock when the action stops and the pace would remain the exact same. They could stop the clock when the action stops and still have no timeouts and no commercials. Everything would remain the exact same as it is now. The only difference would be that everyone would know exactly how much time is left in the half/game rather than having to wonder how much stoppage time will be arbitrarily added by the refs.

This answer is not good enough. There has to be a better one.
They could stop the clock when the action stops and the pace would remain the exact same. They could stop the clock when the action stops and still have no timeouts and no commercials. Everything would remain the exact same as it is now. The only difference would be that everyone would know exactly how much time is left in the half/game rather than having to wonder how much stoppage time will be arbitrarily added by the refs.

Fair enough. As of now, games would be too long. On a average game, 'effective play' is around 60 minutes.

Thus, two halves of 30 min have been discussed. Disagree that the only change would be more time awareness (which is not perceived as an issue) and that everything would remain the same. I think how teams manage time, gameplays and tactics could be affected (maybe for good!). I guess fans and authorities don't feel the system is broken therefore why fix it. Someone posted FIFA is reluctant to innovate and that is generally true. I will think about pros/cons.

Last edited:
Freaking stupid penalty. Poulsen had his back turned to the shot, so he did not see the ball, it can't be intentional handling, should be accidental contact, play on.... only thing refs may have going that he made himself bigger by having arm in unnatural position.. but that does not deserve a yellow card. Poor decision in my opinion.

Peru looks out matched so far. If this French pressure will continue they will crack soon.

Physically France looks so much stronger and faster. Not sure Peru can keep up with them. I like Carillo dude, he can play though.
Yes, France physicality and speed is a problem, especially when they pressure up top. Carillo is ballin. Guerrero is pretty good