What's new

Final Pre-Season Game Thread "The Niang HH Bromance Continues"

Probably happiest for AB and Dante; both have played very well this preseason. Hoping they can stay injury free and get rotation minutes. Have to admit I doubted AB's ability to play within the offense, but he's done just that. Dante looks fast. I think he's going to be great against many other subs.

I think Allen is going to get 10-15 mins/game. Not that all the starters will be resting at the same time a la Sloan, but when the main scorers are out, it's clear Grayson isn't afraid to take - and make - shots. He's also great at cutting to the hoop. He and Dante have played well together.

That Favors' three was sweet. If that's a 30%+ weapon, watch out! But someone please tell Ricky where he hid his shot. It's missing again. Mitchell...has he improved his range? If so, the league is in trouble.
Isn’t Favors 2-3 from the corner in preseason? And I haven’t noticed Rubio missing his shot, it didn’t go in last night, but he didn’t shoot too much either last night.

Rubio's jumper is not as flat as it was this time last year so I'm slightly encouraged - but a miss is a miss .

A lot of it is personal preference but l hate the flat footed 3 pointer. Jump shooting is all about rhythm, and the fluidity associated with the actual push off the ground is essential IMO .

Last edited:
Isn’t Favors 2-3 from the corner in preseason? And I haven’t noticed Rubio missing his shot, it didn’t go in last night, but he didn’t shoot too much either last night.
So 3 attempts in 5 games...and 2 of those games against rec league teams. I wouldn't exactly call that a weapon. Rubio shot 30%/36% for the pre-season. That's not just one game; it's troubling.

As a team the Jazz shot 51%/42%. I don't see that continuing, but it's a good sign. Burks, Allen and Exum were all impressive off the bench. Jazz' FT shooting was only 72%, with Gobert, Favors and Mitchell all struggling. Even Allen shot <70%. That needs to improve or they'll lose games because of it.

So 3 attempts in 5 games...and 2 of those games against rec league teams. I wouldn't exactly call that a weapon. Rubio shot 30%/36% for the pre-season. That's not just one game; it's troubling.

Don’t care too much that he shot a low % from 2. If he shoots 36% from three this year, I’ll be happy. I think from inside three he’s a career 45% midrange shooter so 5 preseason games of a low per doesn’t bother me. Last year Favors wouldve been 0-3 in this preseason. It denotes improvement to me. If he shoots 30% I’ll be fine with that seeing he shot 22% last year. For me it’s just good to see him expand his game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a team the Jazz shot 51%/42%. I don't see that continuing, but it's a good sign. Burks, Allen and Exum were all impressive off the bench. Jazz' FT shooting was only 72%, with Gobert, Favors and Mitchell all struggling. Even Allen shot <70%. That needs to improve or they'll lose games because of it.

Nice post. Would rep.

Grayson plays some 1. Thabo played more time at the 3 last year than he did at the 4.

Don't you think Grayson and Burks would eat at their minutes if they were outplaying them? Or have things changed with how minutes are rewarded?

Sure. But Exum has taken about two shots in the entire preseason. Thabo barely played.

I was implying that Exum not turning the ball over, secondary facilitation and playing strong on-ball defense is what you have to compare Burks' scoring punch with. Not simply - wow Burks is scoring nicely (and taking a relatively high volume of shots - though pretty efficiently) and Exum has 4 points etc...

It looks more fluid and he’s shooting it with confidence... I’m going to say he shoots 35% plus from the corner this year. I don’t think he ever shoots the above the break three though.

No kidding. I couldn't tell if the Jazz were just that amazing or if the Kings were just that horrid. I'm sure it's a little from column A and a little from column B, but I have no clue on the proportions.
What you said. Kings missed a lot of shots at the rim. But Jazz also forced them into lower percentage long 2's. Kings had no clue on defense. It was lob city for Utah.

Anyone watch the Kings Blazers game? Apparently the Kings only lost by 3, with CJ and Lillard playing 30 minutes a piece even.

We must've lit a fire under their asses lol

Probably happiest for AB and Dante; both have played very well this preseason. Hoping they can stay injury free and get rotation minutes. Have to admit I doubted AB's ability to play within the offense, but he's done just that. Dante looks fast. I think he's going to be great against many other subs.

I think Allen is going to get 10-15 mins/game. Not that all the starters will be resting at the same time a la Sloan, but when the main scorers are out, it's clear Grayson isn't afraid to take - and make - shots. He's also great at cutting to the hoop. He and Dante have played well together.

That Favors' three was sweet. If that's a 30%+ weapon, watch out! But someone please tell Ricky where he hid his shot. It's missing again. Mitchell...has he improved his range? If so, the league is in trouble.

Dante looks faster than ever.
He just might make me eat crow

I know the jazz looked good vs the kings, but anyone bothered by how the starters were badly outplayed vs Toronto and Portland?

No i saw our starters last year. They are the same this year. They will be fine..... actually much better than fine. They will be very good.

Anyone watch the Kings Blazers game? Apparently the Kings only lost by 3, with CJ and Lillard playing 30 minutes a piece even.

We must've lit a fire under their asses lol
Wow. Portland does seem to be a bad match up for us sometimes but i'm surprised the kings handled them ok. Looks like Lillard shot 2-10. Maybe a bad night for him or maybe the kings bothered him.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk