What's new

First Ebola virus diagnosed in the USA (Dallas, TX)

also we gotta wonder would bush have handled this correctly? cus he was the 2nd dumbest president. obama taking top spot

If you really believe that, you're even dumber than your posts imply. Bush was the most incompetent president since Warren G Harding.

If you really believe that, you're even dumber than your posts imply. Bush was the most incompetent president since Warren G Harding.

I doubt his knowledge of US history goes back enough to make even an average guess on the subject. I doubt he knows about Buchanan and Andrew Johnson and Fillmore and other Presidents who were truly inept. Obama is pretty average. He's not good, but not terrible in terms of Presidents.

Everyone got it straight yet? You can pass it to someone on a bus but you can't get it from someone on a bus.

(CNSNews.com) - Dr. Tom Frieden, director of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), said during a telephone press briefing Wednesday that you cannot get Ebola by sitting next to someone on a bus, but that infected or exposed persons should not ride public transportation because they could transmit the disease to someone else.

I think he's saying "no", but I could be wrong.

As far as Ebola, as long as you're not eating someone else's pooh, you should be fine. (Franklin might need to worry, actually)

Go tell that to the nurses that got infected despite being covered from head to toe. We don't know jack **** about this virus and everyone is acting like it is almost impossible to contract it.

All flights from countries with outbreaks should be banned immediately, if a citizen is in one of these countries then he can make his way over but be put in quarantine until he is examined.

Go tell that to the nurses that got infected despite being covered from head to toe. We don't know jack **** about this virus and everyone is acting like it is almost impossible to contract it.

All flights from countries with outbreaks should be banned immediately, if a citizen is in one of these countries then he can make his way over but be put in quarantine until he is examined.

While it is true those nurses got infected, we don't know how it happened. Did the hospital follow the recommended protocols? Did they have proper training? It is true that in its terminal stages Ebola is highly infectious - thats why so many healthcare workers got in West Africa, however it is not like terminal patients are walking around unnoticed. The person who brought Ebola to Nigeria month and a half ago boarded a plane, was sick on the plane, fainted on the airport and died six days later yet no one on that airport or that airplane got sick. It is the closest caregivers and healthcare workers that are at risk - the general populace is OK in those isolated cases. And apparently we do know quite a bit about this virus since it has been in human outbreaks since 1979 and now we're rapidly learning even more.

As far as the travelbans - can someone explain to me how can they be effective? Just as easily as I can buy a ticket from Monrovia to JFK with stopover in Brussels and a ticket to Brussels with a several hours layover and a ticket from Brussels to JFK. All I do is the little inconvenience of picking up my bags on the belt and checking them in on the counter of the airline in Brussels. Easily done, 2 hours more travel, couple of hundred bucks more. Now you (or the US goverment) has no clue where I am coming from. All they know is I come from Belgium...And I can do that with any airport or even stop in Morocco and the trail will grow even colder. All you need is Expedia access and a credit card...The travel bans would be a knee jerk to ignorant republicans eager to paint the government and Obama as incapable leaders.

So in couple of words - I'm with Trout.

While it is true those nurses got infected, we don't know how it happened. Did the hospital follow the recommended protocols? Did they have proper training? It is true that in its terminal stages Ebola is highly infectious - thats why so many healthcare workers got in West Africa, however it is not like terminal patients are walking around unnoticed. The person who brought Ebola to Nigeria month and a half ago boarded a plane, was sick on the plane, fainted on the airport and died six days later yet no one on that airport or that airplane got sick. It is the closest caregivers and healthcare workers that are at risk - the general populace is OK in those isolated cases. And apparently we do know quite a bit about this virus since it has been in human outbreaks since 1979 and now we're rapidly learning even more.

As far as the travelbans - can someone explain to me how can they be effective? Just as easily as I can buy a ticket from Monrovia to JFK with stopover in Brussels and a ticket to Brussels with a several hours layover and a ticket from Brussels to JFK. All I do is the little inconvenience of picking up my bags on the belt and checking them in on the counter of the airline in Brussels. Easily done, 2 hours more travel, couple of hundred bucks more. Now you (or the US goverment) has no clue where I am coming from. All they know is I come from Belgium...And I can do that with any airport or even stop in Morocco and the trail will grow even colder. All you need is Expedia access and a credit card...The travel bans would be a knee jerk to ignorant republicans eager to paint the government and Obama as incapable leaders.

So in couple of words - I'm with Trout.

Now correct me if I am wrong but a passports can tell where you are from, where your passport has been stamped etc. Theoretically, shouldn't be hard to implement a travel ban. Now your story about the Nigerian man that went on a plane and did not infect anyone is somewhat of a relief and it can be backed up by the lack of infection in Dallas, despite him being there for X amount of days before finally being diagnosed. But we don't know at what stage the infection is the most infectious, really the most scary thing about ebola is the lack of knowledge on it.

I have read a little more on the first healthcare worker that got infected, and according to some sources, they say she touched her mouth after treating the patient with the gloves she were wearing, which really you can't really blame any other person then herself.

I would like to see myself as a helpful person, as I said I travel a lot, and one time a traveler sitting behind me fainted and lost consciousness after vomiting. See if this happened today, I would be very very wary of even stepping close to the victim which shouldn't be the case. Luckily for that person it was just vasovagal syncope which isn't anything harmful.

Now correct me if I am wrong but a passports can tell where you are from, where your passport has been stamped etc. Theoretically, shouldn't be hard to implement a travel ban. Now your story about the Nigerian man that went on a plane and did not infect anyone is somewhat of a relief and it can be backed up by the lack of infection in Dallas, despite him being there for X amount of days before finally being diagnosed. But we don't know at what stage the infection is the most infectious, really the most scary thing about ebola is the lack of knowledge on it.

I have read a little more on the first healthcare worker that got infected, and according to some sources, they say she touched her mouth after treating the patient with the gloves she were wearing, which really you can't really blame any other person then herself.

I would like to see myself as a helpful person, as I said I travel a lot, and one time a traveler sitting behind me fainted and lost consciousness after vomiting. See if this happened today, I would be very very wary of even stepping close to the victim which shouldn't be the case. Luckily for that person it was just vasovagal syncope which isn't anything harmful.

I've moved in and out of foreign countries 12 times in the last 6 months but I only have 8 stamps in my passport.

The bottom line is - the health experts say travel ban will be counterproductive, the Rs say they want travel ban. Why are we not listening to the people we pay to know what is wrong and right

The bottom line is - the health experts say travel ban will be counterproductive, the Rs say they want travel ban. Why are we not listening to the people we pay to know what is wrong and right

Because this is 'Murica, and Obama is the reason Ebola is here. I'm also pretty sure the CDC works for The New World Order, which is just another reason not to trust those so called "scientists"!

Elected Officials with little-to-no knowledge about science or medicine > Trained Professionals who have spent their entire lives helping people through science and medicine.

Actually, you need to examine, and then quarantine to ensure the incubation time runs and no Ebola is developing in the would-be traveler. . . . . three weeks at least.

On 22 July, a rocket landed about a mile from Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion Airport. Delta Airlines diverted a flight which was in the air to Paris.Delta Airlines and United Airlines suspended all flights to Tel Aviv indefinitely, and US Airways also cancelled flights. After this, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) prohibited U.S. airlines from flying to or from the airport for up to 24 hours and cited "the potentially hazardous situation created by the armed conflict in Israel and Gaza."The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) stated that it "strongly recommends" that airlines do not fly into or out of the Tel Aviv airport. On the 23rd of July, the FAA extended its prohibition for another 24 hours, however half way through the extension, 36 hours into the flight ban, the FAA lifted their ban.
Former New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg flew to Ben Gurion on El Al on the 23rd of July in order to prove that Israel's airports are safe and to show his solidarity with Israel.
He told CNN, "The fact that one rocket falls far away from this airport – a mile away – doesn't mean you should shut down air traffic into a country and paralyze the country."

Hamas called the FAA flight ban a "great victory".

sooooo a travel ban got instituted against israel.
but not against obamas people in africa for the OBOLA crisis.

[sarcas]
ooh wait i can play the antisemitism card[/sarcasm].

anywhooooo if the faa deemed a travel ban necisiray because of a rocket.

shouldnt obola also demand a faa ban.

not i am not in favor of travel ban.

Everyone got it straight yet? You can pass it to someone on a bus but you can't get it from someone on a bus.

Vehicles of public transportation have places where bodily fluids are supposed to be expressed, which is not sitting next to someone.

"Health experts" say this after the fact. Of course they are going to excuse their incompetence.

A travel ban would have kept Thomas Eric Duncan from flying to America, but that plane has flown.

So what are we up to now, 3 cases? Or is it still at 2.

1 dead, 2 improving. Word is 33 year old "Doctors Without Borders" personel recently returned from Guinea is down with fever and gastrointestinal symptoms. Results pending but given how everyone is acting up it might be or not be Ebola. We'd know in few hours.

In other news - kudos to Paul Allen for putting his $$$ for this fight:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/24/...-give-100-million-to-tackle-ebola-crisis.html

100 Mil is no chump change