What's new

Following 2016 potential draftees

Here's some slo-mo highlights of last game. Get a decent look at Murray, Skal, and others. Notice SKAL shooting hooks with both hands. Pretty silky for only having been playing for 3 years.

Murray is #23.

[video=youtube_share;VsftrAxpyJU]https://youtu.be/VsftrAxpyJU

Another name to watch at LSU this year is one time St. John's commit, Brandon Sampson - he scored a team high 19 for them vs Southwest Baptist on 3/4 shooting from 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUPIV7GKIrQ

He fits the profile of an NBA SG 6'5" with a 6'8¼" wingspan -- His LSU combine #'s came in eerily close to LaVine's across the board. I've posted about him before, always seemed kinda underrated IMO. Almost reminds me of a shorter Mo Harkless.

@PG_AB - who would you use as a comp for Murray? Best I can come up with Brandon Roy. I've also used taller Tony Parker.

Here's some slo-mo highlights of last game. Get a decent look at Murray, Skal, and others. Notice SKAL shooting hooks with both hands. Pretty silky for only having been playing for 3 years.

Murray is #23.

[video=youtube_share;VsftrAxpyJU]https://youtu.be/VsftrAxpyJU

I'd like to think you listened to these highlights real loud, with the bass pumping. Looking like

2VqlQ.gif

@PG_AB - who would you use as a comp for Murray? Best I can come up with Brandon Roy. I've also used taller Tony Parker.

I'd say a right handed D'Angelo Russell, he seems to be a click or 2 more athletic though.. It's kinda difficult for me to project Jamal shooting 41% from 3 on 7 attempts as D'Lo did though, so for now I'd have to say Russell's got Murray beat in that dept..

There's definitely some Brandon Roy to his game, he's $$ in small spaces like Roy.. I'm very confident in Jamal during winning time. He's an interesting case for sure.

I'd say a right handed D'Angelo Russell, he seems to be a click or 2 more athletic though.. It's kinda difficult for me to project Jamal shooting 41% from 3 on 7 attempts as D'Lo did though, so for now I'd have to say Russell's got Murray beat in that dept..

There's definitely some Brandon Roy to his game, he's $$ in small spaces like Roy.. I'm very confident in Jamal during winning time. He's an interesting case for sure.

I believe maybe the most underrated part of his game is his 3 ball.
The only real somewhat downside I see is average athleticism... but he's just so damn smooth.

I believe maybe the most underrated part of his game is his 3 ball.
The only real somewhat downside I see is average athleticism... but he's just so damn smooth.

When I first saw him in the '14 Hoops summit, the part of his game I was most convinced about was his shooting, I couldn't help but think - at 6'5" if he was American, there's no way he'd be any less than 5-stars..

Russell set the bar really, really high though... He was the best freshman shooter since Steph Curry in CBB as far as im concerned.

Jamal's step-back (and ability to set it up) move is better than Russell's IMO, he's $$$ with that move. It's a key move for any guard to have in their arsenal in the NBA.

Some of D'Angelo's moves remind me of James Harden, where as Murray kinda comes off more as a giant PG. D'Angelo is probably better at freezing defenders/ getting them off-balance, and Jamal's probably better at creating separation.

Jamal is probably way better at getting all the way to the rack consistently though, one of the reasons I'd say he's a click more athletic than Russell..
His left hand is much stronger than Russell's right (which isn't exactly a fair comparison, because it's far from a 50/50 split, still its true)

Gonna be keeping a close eye on the situation though.. I know some Duke fans already saying they'd take Murray #1...

When I first saw him in the '14 Hoops summit, the part of his game I was most convinced about was his shooting, I couldn't help but think - at 6'5" if he was American, there's no way he'd be any less than 5-stars..

Russell set the bar really, really high though... He was the best freshman shooter since Steph Curry in CBB as far as im concerned.

Jamal's step-back (and ability to set it up) move is better than Russell's IMO, he's $$$ with that move. It's a key move for any guard to have in their arsenal in the NBA.

Some of D'Angelo's moves remind me of James Harden, where as Murray kinda comes off more as a giant PG. D'Angelo is probably better at freezing defenders/ getting them off-balance, and Jamal's probably better at creating separation.

Jamal is probably way better at getting all the way to the rack consistently though, one of the reasons I'd say he's a click more athletic than Russell..
His left hand is much stronger than Russell's right (which isn't exactly a fair comparison, because it's far from a 50/50 split, still its true)

Gonna be keeping a close eye on the situation though.. I know some Duke fans already saying they'd take Murray #1...

He has as much 'it' factor as any recruit Cal has ever recruited, imo.

top 7

Skal, Ingram, Murray, Bender, Simmons, Brown, Qi

You seem a lot higher on Qi than a lot of people I've talked with, what's got you all excited for him? Barely seen any footage of him (can't judge his defense at all), seems like he's got decent mobility to go with a good shot/handle for a guy that size. Super skinny though.

And who are guys looking at for realistic Jazz prospects? As of now I'm not really sure what our roster needs, but guys I kind of like that seem to be at least outside of lotto range: Hayes, Pope, Baker, and Sabonis from the college ranks. Kaba, Luwawu, and De Paula from overseas. Haven't seen enough of any of the non-top freshman prospects to say anything about them, but I'm sure some will emerge.

Those jump hooks by Skal look really good. If he can hit those consistently on top of his killer jumper, then damn.

He has as much 'it' factor as any recruit Cal has ever recruited, imo.

Yeah I can just say I had a strong impression from him initially, and he's obviously done everything right since that point, including an outstanding amateur resume going into college -- because of those Pan-Am games vs older players, it makes it much easier for me to give him the benefit of the doubt, It's not bias.

You know who might have an extreme amount of 'it factor' -- Mohammad Bamba.. if he was eligible I'd draft him before Poeltl or Damion Jones without thinking twice. He's phenomenally talented. He's obviously going to make a ****load of $$$ playing ball.

One thing that will probably go understated with Jamal Murray is he going to get drafted high no matter what, He could've just declared for this draft anyway. I'd argue he was going to kill it in private team workouts regardless of where he landed.. The reason he went to UK was to further prove the point of how good he is -- I wouldn't doubt him either, I legitimately don't see any reason to

Yeah I can just say I had a strong impression from him initially, and he's obviously done everything right since that point, including an outstanding amateur resume going into college -- because of those Pan-Am games vs older players, it makes it much easier for me to give him the benefit of the doubt, It's not bias.

You know who might have an extreme amount of 'it factor' -- Mohammad Bamba.. if he was eligible I'd draft him before Poeltl or Damion Jones without thinking twice. He's phenomenally talented. He's obviously going to make a ****load of $$$ playing ball.

One thing that will probably go understated with Jamal Murray is he going to get drafted high no matter what, He could've just declared for this draft anyway. I'd argue he was going to kill it in private team workouts regardless of where he landed.. The reason he went to UK was to further prove the point of how good he is -- I wouldn't doubt him either, I legitimately don't see any reason to
No doubt.
I have even gone as far as saying I like him as much as Giles.

You seem a lot higher on Qi than a lot of people I've talked with, what's got you all excited for him? Barely seen any footage of him (can't judge his defense at all), seems like he's got decent mobility to go with a good shot/handle for a guy that size. Super skinny though.

And who are guys looking at for realistic Jazz prospects? As of now I'm not really sure what our roster needs, but guys I kind of like that seem to be at least outside of lotto range: Hayes, Pope, Baker, and Sabonis from the college ranks. Kaba, Luwawu, and De Paula from overseas. Haven't seen enough of any of the non-top freshman prospects to say anything about them, but I'm sure some will emerge.

I've been following his story for a while, he's legitimately talented, if they mocked him much higher I wouldn't complain about it..

There's also some layers to it with him being Chinese, and the way he's perceived/handled there in the CBA -- Some of it could have to do with the way Yi Jianlian was handled, who knows. I kinda believe that some powers which would like to protect domestic interests, would throw some shade about him(they'll call him frail and injury prone), He's certainly legit though, IMO. Not as much as the 6'11 player Bamba in my last post, he's not far off though.

Qi can face up, he's got a good touch around the rim, and from midrange, he's certainly at least 7'1", he's mobile, his wingspan is every bit of 7'6" - I'd say he looks like he's putting some weight on his frame, he's also used to puttting up big #'s, he's always been extremely productive everywhere he's been (same can be said for Poeltl) ..

He also lifts off his feet quick;y, I like his anticipation. He's by far the best Chinese prospect, it's a really wide margin. I wouldn't be surprised if they bill him as the next Yao.. He's got shoe deals and stuff already.. He's got a strong case all things considered, imo.

Timothe Luwawu's stats are better than expected thru 9 games, and I've been saying he's top-20 in this field of wings.. I might even have to go as far as saying he's a better prospect than Korkmaz if this continues..

15.2 PPG, 4.22 REB, 2.2 AST, 2.1 STL 43% from 3 on 6.44 attempts per 70% from FT 44% FG's, 3.5 TO's per though..

Recent interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gNfvihLhaA

Obviously a better prospect than Nigel Hayes IMO.

Juancho Hernangómez, who's6'8"-6'9"ish, is worthy of mention in this thread. He could end up in the 1st round, he's versatile and skilled, draws fouls -- I'd almost compare him to Scola.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo4C4-Q4LmU

Somewhere between a 3 and a 4, he can faceup, drive, shoot, he's scrappy, some team is going to like him. He'd definitely tear it up in college, he'd stuff the stat sheet. He's like a MUCH better version of Georges Niang at Iowa state.

38508_570x379.jpg
On the left is his older brother Willy, the 35th pick in the 2015 NBA draft by the Knicks, he's 6'10-6'11 ish and a rebounder.