What's new

Following potential 2014 draftees

If we can draft Embiid, I would consider trading Favors for Aaron Gordon.

Burke/Hayward/Gordon/Kanter/Embiid

I'd like to see Burke/Burks/Wiggins or Parker/Kanter/Favors

Resign Hayward then trade him. I think if we traded Kanter/Favors right now we would probably get less than they are worth. We could probably rip someone off with Hayward.

He can shoot..... sometimes.

He reminds me alot of cj (who i thought was gonna be a great player)
Both lefties, both with good size, both with good looking jumpshots, both with good athleticism, both with decent handles.

Both make lots of bad decisions on the court.

Young and cj can both get hot and win games for your team but mostly they are cold and take ill advised shots and hurt the team.

Young seems to have toned it down a bit though in the tournament as the harrisons (especially andrew) have started taking more responsibility to score on offense.

How do you explain your love of Alec Burks then?
Because he does both horrible decisions on offense and plays no D.

So.. The consensus is that he is 6'9 in shoes, weighs 244 lbs, and has a 6'11 wingspan, barring he didn't get taller or longer since then.

1) I've learned to not start going into detail about player heights prior to the combine
2) I take barefoot heights because that's a level playing field.
3) Stop talking about heights and wingspans(That's for everybody out there). It makes ignoring Fabtrey obsolete if everybody quotes him...

I've been a Randle homer since the first time I saw him play, but I will just say that as good as he is, as consistently as he produces, I don't think anybody has any clue just how good he can be. His numbers over the course of the season stack up against anybody. 15 and 11 on 50% FGs. In the tournament, 16 and 12. They stack up against anybody and he does it consistently - but the difference between Randle and everybody else is that he is doing while being doubled whenever the opposition has a chance to double. What would his production look like if, like Parker, Smart, Wiggins, Payne, etc, he seldom got double teamed? It's a lot more difficult to double in the NBA due to the rules - I'd be thrilled to have my question answered watching him in a Jazz uniform. Beast.

Honestly you get doubled in the NBA as well, but a different kind of doubled. You have the guard dropping low to attack the ball and stop you from dribbling and backing down.
And when you consider 2.9 defense you have your whole paint stacked once a player attacks it to limit his success.

One thing is we need a small forward or shooting guard more than anything.

Also, who says Randle doesn't turn out to be like Beasley?

I'd say a big wing. Feel like we have enough small wings. Also don't really want a combo forward except when he's got ball skills, shooting and defense. Other option would be start at center, move Favors to PF or trade him and add more pieces later and via FA.

Can Marcus Smart and Dante Exum play shooting guard?

Every big PG can play SG as long as he can execute plays that don't require him to have the ball in his hands. WHen Bledsoe plays, Dragic is a top3 SG in the league.

I sincerely hope Utah drafts Stauskas. I love his game and his attitude. We need a kickass player like him.

Would only work IMO if you trade Hayward with a return. Don't see that happening.

Interesting. But I think most teams would rather take a chance on Gordon's potential and pay him roughly 1/3 the amount they'd have to pay Favors.

I think you both are correct. Don't see that happening though. I don't think whoever drafted Embiid would give a discount on his potential. If someone would offer him I'd be sceptical and think they made some extra MRIs on his back and ankle and found something concerning. So that would need a special circumstance and value almost equal to his ceiling in return. I don't think Memphis would trade Marc Gasol for him to a team that wants to win now and has all the other necessary pieces.

I think you both are correct. Don't see that happening though. I don't think whoever drafted Embiid would give a discount on his potential. If someone would offer him I'd be sceptical and think they made some extra MRIs on his back and ankle and found something concerning. So that would need a special circumstance and value almost equal to his ceiling in return. I don't think Memphis would trade Marc Gasol for him to a team that wants to win now and has all the other necessary pieces.

Wasn't the hypothetical that WE drafted embiid, then trade for Gordon?

Sent from the JazzFanz app

Wasn't the hypothetical that WE drafted embiid, then trade for Gordon?

Sent from the JazzFanz app

Was just hypothetically speaking what player you'd have to offer to walk away with a healthy Embiid. Our current draft position makes it more likely that we end up with Gordon and trade for Embiid.
TLDR Don't see either scenario happen!

I would do the same to get Wiggins. Draft Embiid and trade Favors and next years pick for Wiggins.

Burke/Hayward/Wiggins/Kanter/Embiid. Burks off the bench and then draft a shooter with the GS pick. Bring over Neto and sign a couple back up solid NBA guys who know they are backups.

How about we draft Parker for offense and hope for WCS with the 2nd pick for help d?

What is the status of WCS? I like him with our second 1st rounder. I still would rather have Wiggins over Parker but I would be fine with your suggestion.

How do you explain your love of Alec Burks then?
Because he does both horrible decisions on offense and plays no D.

Burks understands that he is not a great shooter so he doesn't chuck up ill advised jumpers like CJ and James young. Burks only shoots from the outside when he is open (and is pretty decent because of that).

Burks is a much better finisher than either of them, and much better at getting to the line. Better passer, and rebounder than both of them too.

How about we draft Parker for offense and hope for WCS with the 2nd pick for help d?

Where would that leave Favors and Kanter? And Gobert?
I was under the impression that you also thought Parker would start as PF and if he'd be quick enough for that he'd get some burn as SF to find out if he can defend the wings at all.

What is the status of WCS? I like him with our second 1st rounder. I still would rather have Wiggins over Parker but I would be fine with your suggestion.

Agree... I'm assuming Wiggins an impossibility. Having said that, Wiggins is maybe more of a possibility than Parker (ping pong balls).
WCS just has a stress fracture. Theyre saying he could possibly be back within a week... though I doubt Cal would play him.
I've been very impressed with not only his post defense (tons of blks) but also his ability to guard the hot hand on the perimeter. His combo of length and lateral quickness has been making sure the guy he's guarding RARELY even gets a shot off. Would be very interesting to see a 7 footer defending the perimeter with another defensive guy patrolling the paint.

Where would that leave Favors and Kanter? And Gobert?
I was under the impression that you also thought Parker would start as PF and if he'd be quick enough for that he'd get some burn as SF to find out if he can defend the wings at all.

I'd move Kanter.
I am certain Parker cannot defend SF'S.

Burks understands that he is not a great shooter so he doesn't chuck up ill advised jumpers like CJ and James young. Burks only shoots from the outside when he is open (and is pretty decent because of that).

Burks is a much better finisher than either of them, and much better at getting to the line. Better passer, and rebounder than both of them too.

I do not agree with you. 33% from three is equal to 50% from two and Burks isn't particularly efficient with his mid range pull up tendency.
Also 33% on 6 trys per game on a 40% overall pct Is heavily influencing that and his 2 point shooting way higher depending on how many he takes.
I just hope the next Jazz coach will hold Alec responsible for his defensive effort. This way he'll either go out flaming or gain real value!

I do not agree with you.

Of course you dont.... thats a given.
Its well documented that you dont like burks game. Move along

I'd move Kanter.
I am certain Parker cannot defend SF'S.

So you'd want Favors as starting Center and Parker as PF ? With WCS playing C and Favors/Parker PF when he'S in the game?
I see your angle. But I simply dislike having 2 bigs in a minute heavy 3 big roation that basically have no value on offense than rolling to the basket, converting others misses and running the floor in transition?
I'd much rather complement Favors + Parker with a potential two way player and have Gobert as a twin tower setup guy. Move Parker to SF for a shorter stretch when he guards a player that is neither a ball handler, nor involved in PnRs and only plays weakside where Parker can play easy 2.9 help rotations.

So you'd want Favors as starting Center and Parker as PF ? With WCS playing C and Favors/Parker PF when he'S in the game?
I see your angle. But I simply dislike having 2 bigs in a minute heavy 3 big roation that basically have no value on offense than rolling to the basket, converting others misses and running the floor in transition?
I'd much rather complement Favors + Parker with a potential two way player and have Gobert as a twin tower setup guy. Move Parker to SF for a shorter stretch when he guards a player that is neither a ball handler, nor involved in PnRs and only plays weakside where Parker can play easy 2.9 help rotations.

I'm sure you'll know what I mean here..

The casual fan sees a lineup and gets blinders on how those five would fare for 48 minutes. That's not what I am talking about. It depends on matchups and mixing things up throughout a game. There would be spot minutes I could see Favors, WCS, and Parker in the game for rebounding and a loooong zone defense.

Something Calipari has done in this tourney (that I have loved) is totally mix it up and keep the other team guessing. He's gone huge and played zone, he's played small ball, and he feels things out until it starts clicking against the team we're playing.

I, of course, could see Parker, WCS, and Favors getting killed in transition.. but I am only talking situational (and WCS will be cheap enough to afford that luxury for a while.

I'm sure you'll know what I mean here..

The casual fan sees a lineup and gets blinders on how those five would fare for 48 minutes. That's not what I am talking about. It depends on matchups and mixing things up throughout a game. There would be spot minutes I could see Favors, WCS, and Parker in the game for rebounding and a loooong zone defense.

Something Calipari has done in this tourney (that I have loved) is totally mix it up and keep the other team guessing. He's gone huge and played zone, he's played small ball, and he feels things out until it starts clicking against the team we're playing.

I, of course, could see Parker, WCS, and Favors getting killed in transition.. but I am only talking situational (and WCS will be cheap enough to afford that luxury for a while.

Ya I just wanted to know what role you see GObert and WCS taking long term?
I mean when you have both Favors and Parker playing 36 min a game not a lot of minutes are left for WCS.
For 1 year I'd envision him being okay with traveling back and forth between Utah and a D-League team but long term he'd want more minutes. Same for Gobert.
Do you think these players will be happy to play sth like 12 min a game each as a pro on a min contract? I don't know. I think as long as they are young they'll want to maximize their potential and not be good soldiers only. Don't see that really happening when you've got Favors and Parker in front of you.
Just like everyone here was hoping for Kanter and Favors to get a chance behind Jeffercat and Millsap.

Ya I just wanted to know what role you see GObert and WCS taking long term?
I mean when you have both Favors and Parker playing 36 min a game not a lot of minutes are left for WCS.
For 1 year I'd envision him being okay with traveling back and forth between Utah and a D-League team but long term he'd want more minutes. Same for Gobert.
Do you think these players will be happy to play sth like 12 min a game each as a pro on a min contract? I don't know. I think as long as they are young they'll want to maximize their potential and not be good soldiers only. Don't see that really happening when you've got Favors and Parker in front of you.
Just like everyone here was hoping for Kanter and Favors to get a chance behind Jeffercat and Millsap.

I'm just not sold on Favors being a contender at either offense or defense. He's barely okay on offense and very good, but not elite, on defense. Is that good enough to anchor a contending team? I'm depressed. lol

Of course you dont.... thats a given.
Its well documented that you dont like burks game. Move along

Well I just wondered because I thought that was an inconsistency in the way you judge players. I mean you know I respect your opinion and I ain't Cy who can't have a draw and agree to disagree.
I just wondered because I see two players who have certain similarities(not saying everything, but e.g. decision making, willingness to defend when having some tools and shot selection to name some) and you love one, blast the other. That's what I found weird.
Just like I am very down on Burks potential and like Young the opposite way. But I say I like Young's potential, not what he is today.
Plus I don't understand his shot selection and if it's Cal's will to force up 3s in order to free up Randle inside or if it's Young highjacking plays with a very weird shot selection. Will be interested in how he plays his rookie year. I hope he doesn't go full McLemore.