What's new

Following potential 2014 draftees

Well I just wondered because I thought that was an inconsistency in the way you judge players. I mean you know I respect your opinion and I ain't Cy who can make proper paragraphs.

I just wondered because I see two players who have certain similarities(not saying everything, but e.g. decision making, willingness to defend when having some tools and shot selection to name some) and you love one, blast the other. That's what I found weird.

Just like I am very down on Burks potential and like Young the opposite way. But I say I like Young's potential, not what he is today.

Plus I don't understand his shot selection and if it's Cal's will to force up 3s in order to free up Randle inside or if it's Young highjacking plays with a very weird shot selection. Will be interested in how he plays his rookie year. I hope he doesn't go full McLemore.

fixed

I'm just not sold on Favors being a contender at either offense or defense. He's barely okay on offense and very good, but not elite, on defense. Is that good enough to anchor a contending team? I'm depressed. lol

So how about trading Favors in a year in case he stays healthy and has a career year, sticking to the shooting of Kanter and add another combo forward who mainly plays the 3?
Would be obvi risky in case that WCS never really understands how to impact defense properly and is not going to be the next DeAndre Jordan with less Gangsta-SWAG but more YOLO-SWAG.

Think about
WCS/GObert
Parker/Kanter

with Kanter splitting minutes on both inside positions depending on matchups and how his shot is falling that day.

So how about trading Favors in a year in case he stays healthy and has a career year, sticking to the shooting of Kanter and add another combo forward who mainly plays the 3?
Would be obvi risky in case that WCS never really understands how to impact defense properly and is not going to be the next DeAndre Jordan with less Gangsta-SWAG but more YOLO-SWAG.

Think about
WCS/GObert
Parker/Kanter

with Kanter splitting minutes on both inside positions depending on matchups and how his shot is falling that day.

I love the swing for the fences, but admittedly cringe when I see Kanter and Parker in the same sentence... we gettin sliced like butta.

More like I ain't Cy who doesn't have proper reading skills or can't even focus on reading consecutive lines and sentences ;)

Pretty sure everyone has that problem to some extent and prefers a line of space between their paragraphs. It is proper and practical, no reason to not do it.

I love the swing for the fences, but admittedly cringe when I see Kanter and Parker in the same sentence... we gettin sliced like butta.

I'll tell you my favorite defensive minded PFs in an order:

Iblocka
Davis
Gibson
Amir Johnson
John Henson <- was totally mind blown by his stats.
Josh Smith

I totally hate every other PF defensively and I probably have forgotten one or two. Please correct me.
This list is based on my eye test, my personal preference and these statistics:

https://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingDefense.html?pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=50&sortField=FGP_DEFEND_RIM&sortOrder=ASC&filters=MIN*GE*15**GP*GE*30**FGA_DEFEND_RIM*GE*4.5

https://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingDefense.html?pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=50

So if I can't get a 2 way PF via draft or free agency I'd rather have my player play offense with also 3 point range to negatively impact the impact of defensive minded PFs.

I'll tell you my favorite defensive minded PFs in an order:

Iblocka
Davis
Gibson
Amir Johnson
John Henson <- was totally mind blown by his stats.
Josh Smith

I totally hate every other PF defensively and I probably have forgotten one or two. Please correct me.
This list is based on my eye test, my personal preference and these statistics:

https://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingDefense.html?pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=50&sortField=FGP_DEFEND_RIM&sortOrder=ASC&filters=MIN*GE*15**GP*GE*30**FGA_DEFEND_RIM*GE*4.5

https://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingDefense.html?pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=50

So if I can't get a 2 way PF via draft or free agency I'd rather have my player play offense with also 3 point range to negatively impact the impact of defensive minded PFs.

really good post.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];795000 said:
I agree. And, IMO, this drops Parker to 3 or 4.

BTW, I'm also not sure he can guard PFs.

Not to pick on you specifically fixed, but I find the chatter leading up to the draft fascinating. Everyone starts talking about potential and how great a guy could be, then we start talking about his warts, and then all we can see are the warts. When draft night finally arrives half the fans are booing and hissing at the pick because all they see are the limitations.

I tried to step back a little last year, and it was different. I didn't complain at the jazz picks, but I sure didn't have much fun in June. This year I might try to develope an irrational emotional attachment to a specific player and see how it changes the draft experience for me.

Not to pick on you specifically fixed, but I find the chatter leading up to the draft fascinating. Everyone starts talking about potential and how great a guy could be, then we start talking about his warts, and then all we can see are the warts. When draft night finally arrives half the fans are booing and hissing at the pick because all they see are the limitations.

I tried to step back a little last year, and it was different. I didn't complain at the jazz picks, but I sure didn't have much fun in June. This year I might try to develope an irrational emotional attachment to a specific player and see how it changes the draft experience for me.

It's okay.

Folks like hantlers/CY (there, I mentioned you specifically. Happy now?) loved g time over Paul George. They pimped him like no tomorrow. Yet, we are to trust them on this this Gordon vs Randle debate? Hilarious!

I actually wasn't a huge Hayward fan prior to the selection. I'm still not a huge Hayward fan, but I do think he's better than people on this board think he is.

Do you happen to have any proof that I "pimped" him like you said I did. Talk is cheap, prove something for once.

I'm higher on Favors than most in this thread.

I think he'll be a 14-16 PPG guy offensively (so, good - certainly serviceable) and will continue to grow into an elite defender. Bear in mind he's still just 22. He will never the the reason that the Jazz win a championship but I do think he will be good enough to anchor our interior defense (a la Marc Gasol, Roy Hibbert, etc) and be one of our franchise cornerstones. He probably already would be a 14 PPG guy if Corbin didn't **** around with him and Kanter's minutes during portions of the season.

I'm sold on Burke (took me a while), Hayward and Favors being part of this team long-term. I love Burks' game but if we add a top flight wing this draft I'm not sure where he fits (unless he's willing to accept a sixth man role, which I doubt). Kanter remains an enigma, he's got a long way to go. But, again...21 years old.

I hear you, and I support your self-experimentation.

But, for the record, I've been authoring caution toward Jabari since the beginning of his days at Duke.

We really can't overstate the importance of May 20th, btw. A top 2 pick would change the next decade of this franchise's fortunes.

Wiggins, despite his inconsistency, is the complete package. He has the potential to be great on both ends of the court...he's also the only player in the draft that can really say that.

Parker is excellent on offense, below-average on defense.

Gordon is excellent on defense, below-average on offense.

Randle is quite good on offense, below-average on defense.

Embiid is a game changer on defense, and his offense is ok. Embiid has the best chance after Wiggins at being able to positively affect both ends of the court.

It seems like Exum also has a chance at being a good player on both sides, but it's hard to say considering the competition that he has played.

Every top player has some concerns, so it really just comes down to who fits your team the best and what style you want to play. It's also difficult for us as fans, because we don't know who our coach will be or what style we will play. I think that pairing Parker with an effective post defender could work. I think pairing Gordon with a real stretch 4 could work. Wiggins and Embiid will work with anybody, Randle needs a quality post defender to pair with him. It will be easier to say once we know where we're picking.

Wiggins, despite his inconsistency, is the complete package. He has the potential to be great on both ends of the court...he's also the only player in the draft that can really say that.

Parker is excellent on offense, below-average on defense.

Gordon is excellent on defense, below-average on offense.

Randle is quite good on offense, below-average on defense.

Embiid is a game changer on defense, and his offense is ok. Embiid has the best chance after Wiggins at being able to positively affect both ends of the court.

It seems like Exum also has a chance at being a good player on both sides, but it's hard to say considering the competition that he has played.

Every top player has some concerns, so it really just comes down to who fits your team the best and what style you want to play. It's also difficult for us as fans, because we don't know who our coach will be or what style we will play. I think that pairing Parker with an effective post defender could work. I think pairing Gordon with a real stretch 4 could work. Wiggins and Embiid will work with anybody, Randle needs a quality post defender to pair with him. It will be easier to say once we know where we're picking.

Agree with all of this. That said The Jazz have to inform Corbin they wont be offering him a new contract moments after the final game so we can find a new coach. We need our future coach in place for the draft. Even a SVG could pull a Corbin a destroy young players if he wasnt a fan, so I'd like complete buy in from our future group ASAP.

Hard to argue that Wiggins and Embiid have the highest ceilings on both ends. Wiggins could be a terror defensively. Embiid already is. And Embiid wowed me with certain aspects of his skill set given how inexperienced he is.