What's new

Following potential 2015 draftees

Looney's first shot in this is a really advanced move. And you see how good his jumper is. I don't think his 3PT % at UCLA was a fluke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxDBEPKUSWY

I see some Leonard in Looney.

Really? I don't. Don't think he's that kind of athlete.

I can see some Jimmy Butler in Winslow.
I can see some Kendall Gill/Robert Horry/Trevor Ariza in Oubre.
I can see some James Johnson and James Young in Stanley Johnson.
I can see some Klay Thompson and even some Andrew Wiggins in Hezonja.

I'm not crazy about Looney. We need someone who can score the ball. I'm not sure Looney has enough offensive potential to invest in him. I think he'll probably be a plus defender though.

Does he really play PG(ballhandling guard in general)? Some sites list him at 6'8''(that would be without shoes I assume, so by NBA measurements he might be a 6'9 guard). If that's correct that's some awesome size...

He generally plays SF; not sure if he could play guard positions. He is one of those guys who does lots of small things that does not necessarily appear in the statistics. Hard nosed; good attitude, high bball IQ player

On Looney: it will be interesting to see if he gets solely lumped in with the Lyles-Portis-Turner-Kaminsky-Porzingis-Harrell grouping during team workouts or whether he sometimes goes with the Winslow-Johnson-Hezonja-Oubre-Hollis Jefferson grouping during team workouts. Wonder who the Jazz would want to bring in with him to work out? That really seems to be where the scouting division on Looney is: between those convinced he's strictly a 4 (and thus a 12-20 pick) and those who think he can swing between 3 & 4 (and be worth a 7-14 pick).

Really? I don't. Don't think he's that kind of athlete.

Leonard is a good overall athlete, but he isn't that explosive vertically. He tested with a 25.5" no step vertical, and a 32" max vertical. His crazy length makes his leaping ability seem better than it is because his arms get so far above the rim. Looney is the same way (they both have 7'3 wingspans).

They both have good lateral agility and can guard both forward positions to a degree.

Both good rebounders.

Both are more unselfish, reserved players.

You could say Looney is more of a PF, and that's probably true to an extent (partially because he's nearly 6'10), but I bet Leonard posted up more at SDSU than Looney did for UCLA (only 9.3% of Looney's offense came off of post up situations). And Looney's jumper is way better than Leonard's was in college (Looney averaged 42% from 3; Leonard only 25% in his two years of college).

If Looney's game translates, I think it'll be in a similar fashion to how Leonard impacts the game. Hard nosed, smart defense; spot up 3s; driving when the defense overplays him; making the right pass; posting up occasionally; etc. Whether he can come up big in pressure situations like Lenoard is the real question and the thing that is most often failed to be mentioned when comparing any player to Kawhi.

Leonard is a good overall athlete, but he isn't that explosive vertically. He tested with a 25.5" no step vertical, and a 32" max vertical. His crazy length makes his leaping ability seem better than it is because his arms get so far above the rim. Looney is the same way (they both have 7'3 wingspans).

They both have good lateral agility and can guard both forward positions to a degree.

Both good rebounders.

Both are more unselfish, reserved players.

You could say Looney is more of a PF, and that's probably true to an extent (partially because he's nearly 6'10), but I bet Leonard posted up more at SDSU than Looney did for UCLA (only 9.3% of Looney's offense came off of post up situations). And Looney's jumper is way better than Leonard's was in college (Looney averaged 42% from 3; Leonard only 25% in his two years of college).

If Looney's game translates, I think it'll be in a similar fashion to how Leonard impacts the game. Hard nosed, smart defense; spot up 3s; driving when the defense overplays him; making the right pass; posting up occasionally; etc. Whether he can come up big in pressure situations like Lenoard is the real question and the thing that is most often failed to be mentioned when comparing any player to Kawhi.

Great post now I am looney