What's new

Following potential 2017 draftees...

Giles leaping ability tested out similar to Kanter's. Yikes. I give him credit for doing the drills though.

But his agility numbers are pretty good. Kanter also took an entire year off at Kentucky, so he had a full year to just train and workout compared to Giles who is still recovering from knee surgeries. I think it's pretty clear that even Giles at his current state is a quicker athlete than Kanter.

I hope DL gets a good idea as to who we can sign and who won't be on the team next season so he can adjust for the draft.

I see so many good second-rounders. I really like Trier but he's heading back to Arizona which is likely a good choice as he dropped into the mid-second round.

I have gone on recond as a big Iwundu homer. I would love to draft him regardless, but if we can't sign Ingles I really, really want to draft Wesley Iwundu as he will be 3 & D.

I think DL is going to get enamored with a few guys and will draft who is available and likes best. 3-4 of these picks could well be on our roster next season, especially if we spend 16M-20M on Hill or another player (I believe Hayward will sign with us for the max. Thank goodness for four picks in this draft as it's deep and we will likely need some contributors with cheap contracts. Plus having restricted players once their contracts are finished is a huge deal.

I like Monte Morris as well. He's somewhat redundant to Neto though.

It also wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Jazz traded Lyles. He looked like *** and his attitude and body language were really bad.

Lyles + pick to get a pick in the teens.

It also wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Jazz traded Lyles. He looked like *** and his attitude and body language were really bad.

Lyles + pick to get a pick in the teens.

Definitely possible. I think I remember the Pacers reportedly liking Lyles.

He looked awesome in summer league last year.

The positive is he looked good his rookie year and he got his minutes cut more than being flat out terrible all year. It's not like we gave him a consistent 25 minutes and he failed. I think there is probably still value for Lyles out there if a team liked him during his pre-draft process.

They most likely did earlier since he was a kid who played in Indy as a high school player. Now would they still want him and for a first round pick at that. I just don't see it anymore

Yes, if you read what we were discussing, it was using Lyles and the 24th pick to move up to 18.

Looking at the Luxury Tax issues that the Jazz are facing this year -- let alone next year, when they would supposedly need to extend Favors at $20M+/yr -- I think it's a foregone conclusion that the Jazz will try to trade Favors this summer. The Jazz simply can't afford him after this coming year.

I think in a pie-in-the-sky perfect world, the Jazz would come out of the draft with Zach Collins, Frank Jackson and a back-up 4 (Oliver/Kuzma/Bolden/Wilson), and all three would be rotation players on rookie scale next year.

Given the new financial constraints, the Jazz would have to look at trading either Favors or Burks even if they were both playing well. The fact that they represent $24M in underperforming or non-performing assets makes the quandry even more obvious. It's now going to cost us extra picks to move them, and who knows what we'll get in return.

Next year at this time, the Jazz will be brushing up against the Luxury Tax, and both Hood and Exum will need significant extensions. A year from now, Favors is gone in virtually every scenario.

The Jazz front office should go on offense this summer and try to get ahead of this. Trade Favors for a quality pick or a rookie-scale player, even if it costs an extra pick or two. Get that player developed in time for the following season, when hopefully the Spurs or Warriors have started to fall off a bit. With continued internal improvement, the Jazz will soon be challenging the Spurs for the #2 seed in the West.

Last edited:
Dude, Ike measured out way better than Bam and is more than a year younger. I'm not sure why it's hard to understand why he is currently mocked higher.

Not sure why it's hard to see why they both rated higher.

I'm being OCD and beating the same horse here, but just to play this out...

Height w/o Shoes:
Bam - 6'8.75"
Ike - 6'8.50"

Height w Shoes:
Bam - 6'9.75"
Ike - 6'9.75"

Wingspan:
Bam - 7'2.75"
Ike - 7'6.25" -- Ike is 3.5" longer

Standing Reach:
Bam - 9'0"
Ike - 9'2.5" -- Ike has 2.5" more standing reach

Max Vertical:
Bam - 38.5" -- Bam has 6" more max vertical
Ike - 32.5"

3/4 Court Sprint:
Bam - 3.24 sec. -- Bam was .20 sec faster in the 3/4 sprint
Ike - 3.44 sec.

Lane Agility:
Bam - 11.94 sec. -- Bam was .58 sec faster in lane agility
Ike - 12.52 sec.

Conclusions:
- Ike has slightly better length to play the center position (2.5" standing reach).
- Bam has better speed, agility and explosiveness. This is also apparent in game film.
- Bam had dramatically better production across every metric, incl. Efficiency Metrics that help account for the difference in playing time (despite the fact that Bam was playing against starters). Bam had a better steal rate, block rate, FT rate, assist/to., and pass rate. The one metric where Ike stands out is 3.7 blocks per 40, which multiplies his 1.2 bpg by 3. Whereas, Bam's blocks per 40 came out at 2, though he averaged 1.5 bpg.

So no, I don't think Ike measured out 'way better,' and I don't think he's in a different tier as a prospect. Bam has good hands, better feet, runs the court like a forward and plays with pretty good IQ. He may not fit what the Jazz want, but he's going to be a good player.

Here's Bam playing more like a forward at the Jordan Brand Classic -- running out, handling a bit, passing off the dribble, and comfortably hitting 18-ft. jump shots. This is what I think he's going to look like as a pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3ZBgcQ30Ns

Yeah, 2-3 inches, and to gain that you give up a lot of speed, agility, talent and production.

Athletic testing is fickle. Bam is the kind of player who is going to test well. The size/athletic combo of Ike is more rare and desired. 2-3 inches is a lot when it comes to wingspan and reach.

The physical/athletic profile of Bam is very similar to Noah Vonleh, but worse. Similarly I dont see them fully utilizing what their testing numbers suggest. Bam isnt the best in traffic against other bigs.

The athletic testing varies, sure, but not by that much. If Ike were 7-feet, I might agree that Ike is a compelling prospect. I'm not here to bag on Ike, but rather to say that Bam is easily as compelling a prospect.

If you want to take time to compare Bam's freshman year to Blake Griffin's, you might be surprised. They're pretty comparable and Bam had less usage.

Regarding Vonleh, he has very good measurables and they helped him become a lottery pick. His problem is that he doesn't shoot well and he hasn't developed much in his first 2 years. He was 10 points below Bam in eFG% as a college freshman. I'd argue that Bam is much quicker, but I don't see any agility testing for Vonleh.

The athletic testing varies, sure, but not by that much. If Ike were 7-feet, I might agree that Ike is a compelling prospect. I'm not here to bag on Ike, but rather to say that Bam is easily as compelling a prospect.

If you want to take time to compare Bam's freshman year to Blake Griffin's, you might be surprised. They're pretty comparable and Bam had less usage.

Regarding Vonleh, he has very good measurables and they helped him become a lottery pick. His problem is that he doesn't shoot well and he hasn't developed much in his first 2 years. He was 10 points below Bam in eFG% as a college freshman. I'd argue that Bam is much quicker, but I don't see any agility testing for Vonleh.

Ike is over a year younger and much bigger. Just stop trying to make them seem equally as intriguing, they arent. Ike projects as a true rim protector. Bam doesn't. Rim protection is one of the more sought out things in the NBA.