What's new

Following potential 2017 draftees...

6'5" Boston College So. combo guard Jerome Robinson is worthy of mention in this thread - chekkit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8CpNrwDE7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vLqX9wzdL4

Shooting 39% from 3 on over 5 attempts per.

BTW - Baylor Juco X-fer, Jo Lual-Acuil Jr. whom I've mentioned here before. Has been playing like a player worth being drafted, problem is he's like 22 right now as a Jr. and is possibly/probably older than that listed age... This appears to be one of those Sudanese age switcharoo's.... He's also had issues with his heart...

Jaylen Adams 6'2" Jr. PG on St Bonnie's looks like a legit dead-eye shooter(40% on 7.9 attempts so far this season). He lacks a degree of quickness and possibly toughness vs quality competition but looks like he's pretty crafty. Drawing a nice rate of FT's so far. I've got him on the watchlist of fringe draftable players.

What if I told you there's a player that's got a nearly identical physical build(10lbs skinnier, an inch shorter)/athleticism as a young Ronnie Brewer(40"+ vert and all) but also is a damn good 3pt shooter(44% on 4.6 attempts) and shows flashes of being a pretty good passer and also doesn't turn 20 til June.

Sound like a player worth taking with the 1st 2nd rd pick??

What if I told you there's a player that's got a nearly identical physical build(10lbs skinnier, an inch shorter)/athleticism as a young Ronnie Brewer(40"+ vert and all) but also is a damn good 3pt shooter(44% on 4.6 attempts) and shows flashes of being a pretty good passer and also doesn't turn 20 til June.

Sound like a player worth taking with the 1st 2nd rd pick??

I probably wouldn't be excited since Brewer had a limited off the bounce game, and the college 3 translates to NBA 3 very unreliably.

let's take a look at needs, ignoring at the moment BPA.

PG - A lot will depend on wether the Jazz can re-sign Hill. My guess is he will be back. Mack is also a FA. That leaves Exum and Neto. Hill is obvisouly the priority and my guess is Mack is gone unless he comes back cheap. PG might be a concern to look at drafting. I like Neto but I wouldnt mind an upgrade. One thing about all the exum haters is he is a very good defender and could play the 2 guard spot. This would be a spot for a great draft and stash player.

SG - Hood is solidly in the starting spot and will probably remain for a while. Burks is a massive wild card and a lot will depend on if and when he comes back and how he plays. This draft is loaded with with wing players so a player to potentially replace burks if they need to save money to re-sign other players. Ingles is an option but I think he is a better 3 then a 2.

SF - Another big question mark is Hayward if he is gone this becomes a big need. Johnson has 1 more year left so it would be a nice stop gap until the draft pick could improve. Ingles has shown promise as a bench player and I dont see hime costing to much in the future. With the plethora of good wings this draft might be worth taking a flyer on this position to develop for a johnson replacement or Ingles upgrade

PF - another question mark area as favors has 1 more year left but seems to like it here. His heath is also a huge concern. Lyles has potential but his defense is not that good and he is super inconsistant. Bolomboy is an interesting player but one that might be easily replaced. Jazz will need to take a look at this position seriously. A future upgrade here might be needed and there are a few intersting players in our range.

C - Gobert is the future cornerstone of the franchise but when he goes off the floor the Jazz strugle. Withey is ok and Diaw is not the answer. Favs has to many question marks to be considered a long term fill in when gobert is on the bench. They need to look at players that will continue to anchor our defense. I am not a 100% confident in our bench scoring but still a good solid bench defender would be needed here. (i still like the idea of trading for WCS depending on what the cost is)

in summary I think a vack up center or even a PF/C player would be a great target in this draft. A defensive presense is a must but some one who might stretch the floor would be intruging

options -

Patton i have loved his game and he is a nice stretchy type of player. He is also athletic and runs the floor well
Jeanne if you wanted to take a flyer on a player that is simialr to a gobert in build and french.
Yurtseven is a stretchy big but I am not sold on his defense.
Hartenstien is a very interesting player that could fit the pf/c position and I like his game a lot.
Robert Williams is getting a lot more attention and would be a nice get for the Jazz. Defense is the key
Thomas Bryant is a player that has to be mentioned with his long arms but he is old school and grounded
alpha kaba not only has an awesome name but could be a nice draft and stach or even a developmental player

Wing plyer is the other need

Ferguson is the player I want the most here and would love to see him in a Jazz uni. He is big enough to play the 2 or the 3 has springs for legs, good 3pt shooter and is known as a defender.

let's take a look at needs, ignoring at the moment BPA.

PG - A lot will depend on wether the Jazz can re-sign Hill. My guess is he will be back. Mack is also a FA. That leaves Exum and Neto. Hill is obvisouly the priority and my guess is Mack is gone unless he comes back cheap. PG might be a concern to look at drafting. I like Neto but I wouldnt mind an upgrade. One thing about all the exum haters is he is a very good defender and could play the 2 guard spot. This would be a spot for a great draft and stash player.

SG - Hood is solidly in the starting spot and will probably remain for a while. Burks is a massive wild card and a lot will depend on if and when he comes back and how he plays. This draft is loaded with with wing players so a player to potentially replace burks if they need to save money to re-sign other players. Ingles is an option but I think he is a better 3 then a 2.

SF - Another big question mark is Hayward if he is gone this becomes a big need. Johnson has 1 more year left so it would be a nice stop gap until the draft pick could improve. Ingles has shown promise as a bench player and I dont see hime costing to much in the future. With the plethora of good wings this draft might be worth taking a flyer on this position to develop for a johnson replacement or Ingles upgrade

PF - another question mark area as favors has 1 more year left but seems to like it here. His heath is also a huge concern. Lyles has potential but his defense is not that good and he is super inconsistant. Bolomboy is an interesting player but one that might be easily replaced. Jazz will need to take a look at this position seriously. A future upgrade here might be needed and there are a few intersting players in our range.

C - Gobert is the future cornerstone of the franchise but when he goes off the floor the Jazz strugle. Withey is ok and Diaw is not the answer. Favs has to many question marks to be considered a long term fill in when gobert is on the bench. They need to look at players that will continue to anchor our defense. I am not a 100% confident in our bench scoring but still a good solid bench defender would be needed here. (i still like the idea of trading for WCS depending on what the cost is)

in summary I think a vack up center or even a PF/C player would be a great target in this draft. A defensive presense is a must but some one who might stretch the floor would be intruging

options -

Patton i have loved his game and he is a nice stretchy type of player. He is also athletic and runs the floor well
Jeanne if you wanted to take a flyer on a player that is simialr to a gobert in build and french.
Yurtseven is a stretchy big but I am not sold on his defense.
Hartenstien is a very interesting player that could fit the pf/c position and I like his game a lot.
Robert Williams is getting a lot more attention and would be a nice get for the Jazz. Defense is the key
Thomas Bryant is a player that has to be mentioned with his long arms but he is old school and grounded
alpha kaba not only has an awesome name but could be a nice draft and stach or even a developmental player

Wing plyer is the other need

Ferguson is the player I want the most here and would love to see him in a Jazz uni. He is big enough to play the 2 or the 3 has springs for legs, good 3pt shooter and is known as a defender.

add jarrett allen and Bam adebayo

Looking through some conference schedules I noticed that out of their 12 games, Kentucky played 4 legit college teams already. That's a lot isn't it?

Looking through some conference schedules I noticed that out of their 12 games, Kentucky played 4 legit college teams already. That's a lot isn't it?

Yup. UK's 5th in nation in strength of schedule right now. It's done on purpose, Coach Cal is all about competition. Probably have the most intense practices in the NCAA too. IMO this sort of stuff is one of the main reasons they produce so many battle-tested Rookies and teams ready to go deep in the tournament, practices are a grind, games are a grind and then a lot of times it pays off down the road.

Also helps with recruiting. the latest 5-star recruit Jarred Vanderbilt cited this sorta stuff as one of the main reasons he chose them. He's an ex AAU teammate of De'Aaron Fox who certainly helped seal the deal. Fox apparently loves it there.

add jarrett allen and Bam adebayo

Welp, the draft is before free agency so many of those questions are going to need to be obviated. I really think they'd be a bit more panicked if they thought all of those question marks were valid..

I think were gonna see players selected to be groomed, not to step in and fill any holes anytime soon...

Alec Burks is no question mark, he'd start for many teams IMO. The Burks hysteria here is well beyond logic and reason, frankly it's completely unjustified, lacking perspective and woefully short sighted. Burks is a ****ing key player and a damn good fit with this roster.. he'll really help build/maintain leads off the bench. That unit which closes the 1st and 3rd Q's will be much more dangerous with him on the floor. I fully believe he and Lyles have the potential for great chemistry.

The flamethrower position I've been posting about for a while seems to be more valuable than ever. Just ask any Lakers or Rockets fan about Lou Williams and Eric Gordon. Burks can function as a flamethrower at PG/SG or SF, that type of player is a rare commodity even in todays NBA..

As for the positions;

PG is probably going to be straightforward. It seems like they'll put their eggs in the basket of George Hill and re-sign Mack... How many picks are they going to spend on PG's in the 2010's anyways???

SG is not a strength of this draft and with Hood/Burks and possibly a more expensive Ingles on the book I'm not sure this is a priority. I'd imagine some sort of SG/SF, SF/SG, SG/PG, PG/SG could be more enticing than a pure SG.

SF is an intriguing position. I'm hoping for a SF/PF type(that I've been calling for, for years here)

PF, more specifically PF/C is the position I have a feeling is the most likely to be selected with one of the 1sts. The timing of it with Favors contract just makes sense.

C is seemingly not a priority with Rudy here but the backup C leaves much to be desired IMO. Taking a C in this draft means that the player would be a RFA when Rudy hits UFA, which probably isn't ideal.. I like the idea of drafting a young giant somewhere in the 2nd rd to groom for years in the D-league tho. Perhaps it'd just be to develop a big trade asset. I like that idea tho, Tacko Fall or maybe even Viny Okouo
Okouo-Viny.jpg

Yousappha Fall who I posted about in last years thread will probab;y go undrafted (he's auto-eligible this year) but I'd take at least a SL Flier on. He's a legit 7'4" and measured a Gobert-esq 9'9" standing reach.He can run too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYT7BSYs0Uk

Any opinions on 7'2" Anžejs Pasečņiks with the 1st 2nd rd pick? I think I like that idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx5_wUzUvRw&t=

[tweet]813837536263110656[/tweet]

He's auto eligible this year being born in '95 but just turned 21 a week ago so he's younger than Lyles and Exum. His size is legit, definitely looks like he's 7' without shoes. he can run fairly agile, shoes pretty good body control, he's long, wingspan has gotta be 7'6"-ish. He's been on the radar for years.

If he can shoot 3's I really like the idea.. I feel like, he might need 1 season of prep maybe not, but he could eventually give the Jazz all they get from Withey and more.

Last edited:
Welp, the draft is before free agency so many of those questions are going to need to be obviated. I really think they'd be a bit more panicked if they thought all of those question marks were valid..

I think were gonna see players selected to be groomed, not to step in and fill any holes anytime soon...

Alec Burks is no question mark, he'd start for many teams IMO. The Burks hysteria here is well beyond logic and reason, frankly it's completely unjustified, lacking perspective and woefully short sighted. Burks is a ****ing key player and a damn good fit with this roster.. he'll really help build/maintain leads off the bench. That unit which closes the 1st and 3rd Q's will be much more dangerous with him on the floor. I fully believe he and Lyles have the potential for great chemistry.

The flamethrower position I've been posting about for a while seems to be more valuable than ever. Just ask any Lakers or Rockets fan about Lou Williams and Eric Gordon. Burks can function as a flamethrower at PG/SG or SF, that type of player is a rare commodity even in todays NBA..

As for the positions;

PG is probably going to be straightforward. It seems like they'll put their eggs in the basket of George Hill and re-sign Mack... How many picks are they going to spend on PG's in the 2010's anyways???

SG is not a strength of this draft and with Hood/Burks and possibly a more expensive Ingles on the book I'm not sure this is a priority. I'd imagine some sort of SG/SF, SF/SG, SG/PG, PG/SG could be more enticing than a pure SG.

SF is an intriguing position. I'm hoping for a SF/PF type(that I've been calling for, for years here)

PF, more specifically PF/C is the position I have a feeling is the most likely to be selected with one of the 1sts. The timing of it with Favors contract just makes sense.

C is seemingly not a priority with Rudy here but the backup C leaves much to be desired IMO. Taking a C in this draft means that the player would be a RFA when Rudy hits UFA, which probably isn't ideal.. I like the idea of drafting a young giant somewhere in the 2nd rd to groom for years in the D-league tho. Perhaps it'd just be to develop a big trade asset. I like that idea tho, Tacko Fall or maybe even Viny Okouo
Okouo-Viny.jpg

Yousappha Fall who I posted about in last years thread will probab;y go undrafted (he's auto-eligible this year) but I'd take at least a SL Flier on. He's a legit 7'4" and measured a Gobert-esq 9'9" standing reach.He can run too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYT7BSYs0Uk

Why call me welp, you dont know me and I know the draft is before FA that is the point of the statement.

So you want a SF\PF hybrid and I want a PF\C hybrid. Not a lot of difference.

My faith in burks has been shaken because of his injuries. until he can play with out getting hurt then I will start to consider him part of my hypothetical rotation. Besides you seem to be down on favors and think he wont be re-signed and I think it might come down to keep favors or burks.

Why call me welp, you dont know me and I know the draft is before FA that is the point of the statement.

So you want a SF\PF hybrid and I want a PF\C hybrid. Not a lot of difference.

My faith in burks has been shaken because of his injuries. until he can play with out getting hurt then I will start to consider him part of my hypothetical rotation. Besides you seem to be down on favors and think he wont be re-signed and I think it might come down to keep favors or burks.

well they have many picks so I'm not focused in on one position specifically. This is the draft to try and sit back and grab value at every spot because lots of these players have upside.

I'm sure it was already brought up but LaMelo Ball pointing to the half court line and pulling up and draining it was awesome and epic.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

I would've posted the LaMelo halfcourt shot footage but he gets too much hype in my eyes. Damn good player/prospect but there's definitely handfuls of players in that class I like better that get no hype whatsoever. Greg Anthony's son Cole is a better PG, so is 6'3" Canadian 5-star Andrew Nembhard and I'd also take 6' Tyger Campbell to win a game over LaMelo. There's several combo-y or SG types I prefer over LaMelo too -- Who does have a chance to make the league.

Marcedus Leech is a gem in this class from MO. He's been compared to Harden. Check this video tho and tell me there isn't some Rodney Hood to his movements.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny8yyL4PjNo

BTW -Y'all know their uncles are named; LaRenzo LaFrance LaVelle and LaShon.

Here's a good article on the Ball's and their shooting if you're interested. https://theringer.com/steph-curry-ball-brothers-chino-hills-c4a7719b22e9#.ibq2hh12p