What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

I like him better than Tatum and Ingram. But I do think the injury makes him a risk, and most GMs will opt to take other high-potential prospects who aren't as risky (Ayton, Bagley, etc.)

Sent from my SM-G930P using JazzFanz mobile app

The thing is tho he's gonna be ready to workout, which means he's gonna blow everyone away...

He's 6'10 and his shooting mechanics are perfect...

HE's like Karl Towns in the sense that there's no warts to be found in his workouts, only the opposite will occur, he's just gonna leave the whole room thoroughly impressed...

The risk i'm concerned about with Porter jr is the risk of passing on him.. It vastly outweighs the injury risks..

I watched a full game of Ayton last weekend(or the one before that) and I was not impressed. I'm not sure his playstyle translates to the pros and as of right now he doesn't seem to have the skill level to make his playstyle translateable Cousins style. If I'm sitting at the top of the draft I'd have him perform 3on3 against other top tier talent in case he's interested in going earlier than predicted. Otherwise it's a hard pass and I take the guy whose skillset is timeless. That would be Doncic, Bagley, Porter...Not sure what to make of Bamba. His feel for the game is shaky at best and that's concerning. Haven't watched Jaren Jackson Jr. at all

Yep. The NBA loves athleticism and length. Not to mention shooting, which he'll look good doing in an empty gym. Just takes one team to get enamored with what he brings in a workout.
Michael Porter was never considered *that* athletic. Prior to the injury a lot of people where questioning if his athleticism as a 3 was that good.

Not calling him unathletic, but his athleticism isnt going to blow anyone away. He isnt Andrew Wiggins in that regard. No one is taking him first, I'm 100% confident in that.

Last edited:
Michael Porter was never considered *that* athletic. Prior to the injury a lot of people where questioning if his athleticism as a 3 was that good.

One day, years from now you will be watching an NBA game and think to yourself;

"years ago I was on a message board talking about how MP JR wasn't that athletic, damn, that was dumb"

Michael Porter Jr first and foremost is a great basketball player, his mind for basketball is savant level, whatever adjustments he needs to make, he's gonna make them and make em look easy.. No one with half a brain is worried about his athleticism, they're just worried about getting him on their team!

MP Jr is so good that his lil brother Jontay isn't even remotely near his talent level , but still a possible 1st rd pick...

Last edited:
The thing is tho he's gonna be ready to workout, which means he's gonna blow everyone away...

He's 6'10 and his shooting mechanics are perfect...

HE's like Karl Towns in the sense that there's no warts to be found in his workouts, only the opposite will occur, he's just gonna leave the whole room thoroughly impressed...

The risk i'm concerned about with Porter jr is the risk of passing on him.. It vastly outweighs the injury risks..

The Jazz certainly would not pass on him. With Hayward leaving and Hood mucking it up they probably have him and Doncic as 1A and 1B. We'll likely never know of course.

I watched a full game of Ayton last weekend(or the one before that) and I was not impressed. I'm not sure his playstyle translates to the pros and as of right now he doesn't seem to have the skill level to make his playstyle translateable Cousins style. If I'm sitting at the top of the draft I'd have him perform 3on3 against other top tier talent in case he's interested in going earlier than predicted. Otherwise it's a hard pass and I take the guy whose skillset is timeless. That would be Doncic, Bagley, Porter...Not sure what to make of Bamba. His feel for the game is shaky at best and that's concerning. Haven't watched Jaren Jackson Jr. at all

I've been anti-Ayton for a while too. There's just something off about his game. He's obviously incredibly coordinated and athletic for his size, but he looks so stiff on the court. His defensive instincts look bad too, which I think makes him look slow relative to his athleticism. He just looks stiff and skittish to me on the court. His upside is undeniable, but I don't think he's going to reach the ceiling that people have set for him. I'm a Porter Jr guy all the way.

The Jazz certainly would not pass on him. With Hayward leaving and Hood mucking it up they probably have him and Doncic as 1A and 1B. We'll likely never know of course.

I'm not so sure. I think they'd take JJJ over him. I think they might take Bagley over him. I think they might take Young over him.

I've been anti-Ayton for a while too. There's just something off about his game. He's obviously incredibly coordinated and athletic for his size, but he looks so stiff on the court. His defensive instincts look bad too, which I think makes him look slow relative to his athleticism. He just looks stiff and skittish to me on the court. His upside is undeniable, but I don't think he's going to reach the ceiling that people have set for him. I'm a Porter Jr guy all the way.
Porter looks stiffer than Ayton. Then you factor in that he has a bad back.

Porter looks stiffer than Ayton. Then you factor in that he has a bad back.

I can see that. I was watching some MPJ and thought he ran weird, but I think it's just because he plays really upright. I think with the ball in his hands he moves really fluidly for a guy his size. He kind of runs/moves like a supersized Lonzo Ball, which I'm not really a fan of. They have similar builds too, just at different heights.

Ray Spaulding on Louisville is one of the most underappreciated bigs in the country and is much closer to a borderline 1st rd pick than many want to admit.

Lonnie Walker is going ham in this game too. Spectacular showing, major stock booster..

If I'm the Jazz, I'd tank to get Doncic, Porter Jr., or Jackson Jr. Those are all game-changers that fit what the Jazz want to do.

http://www.stltoday.com/bonus-the-s...cle_6e60e1af-7e83-50db-aecd-330e2dd2143f.html

QUESTION: The Michael Porter Jr. injury situation still sounds fishy. He said he had back issues stemming from high school. Did he not bother to get it checked out before it got significantly worse (i.e., the first game of the season)?

BENFRED: His explanation says the injury first occurred years ago, and that it was re-aggravated at time since, with one of those re-aggravations coming before that first game at Mizzou.

What I don't understand, and what I will probably never understand, is why after a non-surgical treatment plan was recommended, the family opted for surgery instead. Now, that's their choice. And I don't have access to medical records or anything like that. But I know Mizzou has top-notch doctors that work for the players and what is best for them, not for the school. Back surgery is risky. Especially for a teenager. And there is a good amount of information that suggests aggressive physical therapy works as well as surgery for this kind of injury, in the end.

That's what has never really added up to me. It's also a bad look for the family that the injury was not relayed to the coach until it blew up in the team's face. Especially because the dad is a member of the coaching staff.

Ray Spaulding on Louisville is one of the most underappreciated bigs in the country and is much closer to a borderline 1st rd pick than many want to admit.

Lonnie Walker is going ham in this game too. Spectacular showing, major stock booster..

Is it just me or does PG_AB always name 30-40 no name prospects in every draft thread and says they are underrated. Dude is a broken record. It feels like he's covering his ***. I just want to know Cy's draft crush? He seems to be right every year or at the very least his guy turns out to not be a total bust. Unlike PG he doesn't name fifty + prospects.

In conference play and per 100 possessions Jackson is now averaging more points than Bagley (35.8 to 33.7), on higher TS% than Ayton (75.9 to 67.6), and more blocks than Bamba (9.7 to 8.2).

Jackson is top 2 for me with Doncic.

I wouldn't touch MPjr with a ten foot pole unless we were drafting at 10 and he fell that far. I'm hoping Young gets taken early to bump other guys back.

Last edited:
He was never in Utah's range.
We were only a couple games from 5-7 pick, and injuries have already affected us, so they could continue to do so. JJJr has been slotted at #7, so if everything went right, we may have been able to pick that high.

At this point, I don't think we have a shot without jumping into the top 3.

Last edited:
Kinda liking shai gilgeous alexander if we are drafting 12-13 range. I like the top 8-9 guys... kinda soured on Sexton but would take him 12... doubt he’s there.

We really need to tank this ****... I can’t get excited for Knox or Wendell carter.

Is it just me or does PG_AB always name 30-40 no name prospects in every draft thread and says they are underrated. Dude is a broken record. It feels like he's covering his ***. I just want to know Cy's draft crush? He seems to be right every year or at the very least his guy turns out to not be a total bust. Unlike PG he doesn't name fifty + prospects.

Wasn't Cy a Trey Burke guy?