What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

I think the Jazz will make a trade to move up in the draft. Not sure how high they'll get, but I think they'll make a move for someone they've keyed in on. Last year they were slotted at 24, 30 and 42 and ended up moving all three of those picks to draft at 13 and 28.

They signed all three of their free agents last year to non-guaranteed deals, which if nothing else allows them to absorb $10M in salary if they renounced all three. Those guys were signed to be moved when the opportunity arose.

You know, you bring up a good point. We've been talking this whole time about picking up the option on Jerekbo and Udoh so we can make the trade with the Grizzlies or another team. Instead, we can just do one of those trades where it doesn't become official until after the NBA Moratorium ends on July 6. Bear with me:

#1 - If we renounce Thabo, Udoh and Jonas, that's $13+ we don't have on the books for next year.
#2 - During the Moratorium, teams can sign restricted free agents. Exum's cap hold is almost $15 million. However, if we re-sign him for let's just say half of that ($7.5 million), that gives us much more cap space.
#3 - It stings, but we renounce Favors. His $18 million cap hold goes away.

By doing these 3 deals, we have something in the neighborhood of $15-20 million in cap space. So, using Memphis as an example, we offer Memphis Burks, #21 and a 2019 1st for Parsons and #4. Memphis would save over $10 million for this coming season AND#25 million for 2019/20.

Check this out: there aren't that many teams with projected cap space this year: https://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/249237/Projected-2018-Cap-Space-For-All-30-NBA-Teams

Of those teams with more than $15 million+ of cap space (Lakers, Indiana, Atlanta, Philadelphia and Sacramento), only Atlanta would be willing to take a contract as big as Parsons AND has a pick better than #21 they would send.

So in other words, if Memphis or another team wants to save money this year (like Charlotte just did) AND keep a 1st in this draft AND get a 1st next year, we could be considered. It's very complicated, but you just never know.

You know, you bring up a good point. We've been talking this whole time about picking up the option on Jerekbo and Udoh so we can make the trade with the Grizzlies or another team. Instead, we can just do one of those trades where it doesn't become official until after the NBA Moratorium ends on July 6. Bear with me:

#1 - If we renounce Thabo, Udoh and Jonas, that's $13+ we don't have on the books for next year.
#2 - During the Moratorium, teams can sign restricted free agents. Exum's cap hold is almost $15 million. However, if we re-sign him for let's just say half of that ($7.5 million), that gives us much more cap space.

By doing these 3 deals, we have something in the neighborhood of $15-20 million in cap space. So, using Memphis as an example, we offer Memphis Burks, #21 and a 2019 1st for Parsons and #4. Memphis would save over $10 million for this coming season AND#25 million for 2019/20.

Check this out: there aren't that many teams with projected cap space this year: https://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/249237/Projected-2018-Cap-Space-For-All-30-NBA-Teams

Of those teams with more than $15 million+ of cap space (Lakers, Indiana, Atlanta, Philadelphia and Sacramento), only Atlanta would be willing to take a contract as big as Parsons AND has a pick better than #21 they would send.

So in other words, if Memphis or another team wants to save money this year (like Charlotte just did) AND keep a 1st in this draft AND get a 1st next year, we could be considered. It's very complicated, but you just never know.

Memphis could get a much better deal for Parsons and #4. Especially if Luka is there.

To add to this, I have to wonder about the possibility of trading down by attaching Burks' contract. His contract shouldn't be that hard to dump to a rebuilding team with cap space given that it's expiring. That could then potentially really create a lot of room. I know it likely won't happen, but it's still a possibility.

Ringer's live mock draft had us taking Huerter. Also said Atlanta really really wants to move up for Lonnie Walker. Also apparently the Spurs are dangling 18, but are asking a lot for it.

You’d take on that much money for the 11th pick which will most likely at best be a starting role player, and take any chance away from Mitchell recruiting a star? We ain’t trading that contract in the remote possibility Paul George told Mitchell yes.

Could end up plugging him into Ingles role in a few years when his production starts going down as he gets older

I’m not sure you’ve ever watched Troy Brown play? He played pg in high school he played some point at Oregon? How is it that he can’t put it on the floor? And every scouting video I’ve ever seen with Brown suggests he’s above average defender. He’s also 6/7 210 lb’s at the young age of 18. That body will fill out nicely allowing him to guard 4 positions. Again he’s 18, he may not have shot the three ball well, but shooting is an area that’s easily improved. It’s nnot like he’s Simmons bad where he didn’t dare even attempting one three not against the shot or game clock. There is a lot to like about Brown.
Watched a full game as recently as last night.

Memphis could get a much better deal for Parsons and #4. Especially if Luka is there.

I think so too, but using the "wait until the new financial year" approach actually makes our offer much better. I believe that Minnesota and Cleveland used this approach when the Cavs traded Wiggins to the Wolves. And we know that Brooklyn and Charlotte just used this approach for their Dwight trade today.

To add to this, I have to wonder about the possibility of trading down by attaching Burks' contract. His contract shouldn't be that hard to dump to a rebuilding team with cap space given that it's expiring. That could then potentially really create a lot of room. I know it likely won't happen, but it's still a possibility.

This is possible with Atlanta. They have the space and the pick(s) which could interest us. We could trade #21 and Burks to Atlanta for #30.

Then, ironically enough, Atlanta could trade #19, #21 and take Parsons to get #4.

I'm a big fan of the Moose. He seems like a natural scorer and leader. Also a better athlete than I think he gets credit for. Great first step, good bounce, can score in a bunch of ways.

Doesn't have length, though. Average wingspan is essentially below average in today's NBA.
Short span for his height, but he's tall for a wing. 6'9" ws is pretty good. Same as Dante.

I don't think the Jazz would take on Parsons, but they might take on someone from Milwaukee, Washington or Denver to move up into the teens of the draft. For a lower-tier lottery team that's facing the luxury tax, it's worth getting $10M off their payroll to move down 5 or 6 spots in a relatively flat draft.

I think the Jazz like Favors, but not enough to pay him much. The Jazz can hold off on the decision to re-sign Favors until they see what the landscape looks like, what offers he's getting, and whether it's worth going over the cap to retain him to be part of a top 3 team in the WC.

The Jazz get a little more flexibility next year when Burks and Rubio come off the books. If the Jazz offered Favors a one-year deal, he'd come off the books next year too. Assume all the non-guaranteed guys are gone this year or next. It should still be possible to open a max slot in 2019.

I am just so over having Favors. Like, basically at all. So, so ready to move on.

He's a nice player, and he seems like a nice guy, but the fit is just okay/not great here and it never will be as long as Gobert is here. I'm tired of trying to imagine what this team would look like with a spacer at the 4 that is believably a 4. We've seen pretty damn good results with Joe Johnson and Crowder there, but they both leave some serious things to be desired.

I get that maybe they could potentially re-sign him on a 1+1, but I'm personally just kind of done.

I am just so over having Favors. Like, basically at all. So, so ready to move on.

He's a nice player, and he seems like a nice guy, but the fit is just okay/not great here and it never will be as long as Gobert is here. I'm tired of trying to imagine what this team would look like with a spacer at the 4 that is believably a 4. We've seen pretty damn good results with Joe Johnson and Crowder there, but they both leave some serious things to be desired.

I promise I am not picking on you with all these responses ha, but I'd just like to point out that our starting lineup was absolutely great in the regular season and playoffs with Faves.

How about #1 and #16, but NOT Josh Jackson?
So how is having Leonard going to make the Suns contenders? We don't even know if Leonard is the same player he was nor do we know if he would commit to the Suns. The Suns have a chance to build a team for the future if they are patient and smart (yes that is a big IF). There is no way a Sun's team with Leonard can compete with the real contenders in the Western conference.

I promise I am not picking on you with all these responses ha, but I'd just like to point out that our starting lineup was absolutely great in the regular season and playoffs with Faves.
Nah, I gotcha. No worries.

I think his contributions to the team rely on context more than they do for most players. In other words, he wins certain matchups, and loses others. He's the hinge-point on matchups, and against modern teams, he loses most of them as a starting 4. It feels like the staff has to put extra effort in making sure he's put in a position to succeed when they could be devoting that time/energy into something else, in addition to creating a smoother rotation.

Again, I think the net is the fit is okay-to-good, but it isn't ideal, and I don't want to tie up cap or the possibility of developing another player for that. I think he makes a pretty good starting C, which he won't be here.

A clear area of improvement emerged in that Rockets series: This team needs a mobile guy that can block shots when Rudy gets switched onto an isolation guru so he can player tighter on them and not leave a gaping path to the rim.

The only guy I see in this draft that has the size to play the 4, can stretch the floor, has the mobility to rotate to the rim to contest, AND the shotblocking chops is KBD. That is huge for me, and as fit goes, might do better here than either of the Bridges in that respect. It's not a sexy pick, but it might just be the right one at the end of the night.