What's new

Following Potential 2019 Draftees

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...-luka-samanic-fiba-u18-european-championshipshttp://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...-luka-samanic-fiba-u18-european-championships

1. Luka Samanic | PF | Croatia | Age: 18.5
A lottery-level talent, Samanic had a highly productive tournament, averaging 17 points and 7.7 rebounds while shooting 47 percent from 3. Still, there was somewhat of a feeling of disappointment in his performance relative to the very high expectations that resulted in a 2-4 record with him in action and quite a bit of inconsistency.

Samanic's frame continues to evolve nicely, to the point that there really shouldn't be any concerns with how he fills out long-term, despite weighing just 210 pounds this past January. Although he's not the longest player (7-foot wingspan) relative to his height (6-10 barefoot), his length is more than adequate considering his wing-like perimeter skill and the fact that he's a very good athlete. Samanic is fluid and quick off his feet, and he can rise up emphatically for two-handed dunks. The most encouraging part of the tournament seemed to be the evolution of Samanic's jump shot, which is making progress. A career 31 percent 3-point shooter in 87 games in our database, Samanic shoots an easy ball with extreme confidence in his stroke. He can create his own shot from the perimeter and is a very good passer with a solid feel for the game.

Defensively, Samanic wasn't consistent but showed nice flashes, particularly with the way he switched out onto guards and wings and moved his feet on the perimeter. Playing quite a bit of small-ball center, Samanic impressed with the way he covered ground and changed opponents' shots around the basket -- and there's a case to be made that he might end up playing a decent amount at that position as his frame fills out.

Though Samanic shows impressive physical tools and versatility, he's far from realizing his potential or playing consistent and efficient basketball. His approach changes dramatically, alternating between being extremely aggressive to playing passively and with a disappointing lack of toughness, both physically and mentally. He allows himself to get posted up with ease, doesn't finish around the basket as well as you'd hope and is very turnover prone at times because of his shaky decision-making and the ease with which he can get stripped en route to the basket. Samanic loses his focus easily and is constantly talking to teammates and coaches, sometimes in the middle of possessions to demonstrate his displeasure.

There's no doubting Samanic's talent, long-term upside and fit in the modern game, and NBA teams will undoubtedly continue to monitor his progression this season as he embarks on a new adventure, having left Barcelona (and his previous agent) for Olimpija Ljubljana in Slovenia. Samanic probably will have a good role in the Adriatic League, which should be great for his development. Samanic was easily the best prospect at this event and the No. 2 international in the 2019 NBA draft at the moment after Sekou Doumbouya

5. Filip Petrusev | PF/C | Serbia | 18.3
Petrusev played an essential role in Serbia winning the championship, averaging 21 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists and 1.3 blocks while shooting an efficient 61 percent from the field and 80 percent from the line, earning a spot on the all-tournament team. He appears to have added some bulk, particularly his upper body, and looked tougher and more aggressive operating inside the paint than he has in the past, playing quite a bit of bully ball and anchoring Serbia's defense with his excellent combination of mobility, intensity and smarts.

Petrusev is a highly unselfish passer who moves the ball purposefully, excelling in short-roll situations. He finishes with very good footwork and creativity around the basket, and seemingly has no problem playing a secondary role, always looking poised and under control with everything he does. Typically known as a very good shooter, Petrusev appeared somewhat reluctant to take some of the open jumpers that were presented to him over the course of the tournament, although his excellent shooting mechanics, soft touch and the success he has found in the past from beyond the arc leave plenty of room for optimism regarding how he might develop his 3-point shot in time.

Defensively, Petrusev still needs to continue to add strength and isn't blessed with elite length (measuring a 6-11 wingspan recently). Nevertheless, he moves his feet extremely well and has outstanding timing rotating for blocks and going up vertical around the basket. His fluidity and lateral quickness really shined when he was asked to switch out on pick-and-rolls on the perimeter. He's in an ideal place to continue to develop his body, perimeter shooting and defensive versatility at Gonzaga, and his basketball IQ, skill level and mentality should help him find a spot in the NBA eventually.

7. Sasha Grant | SF/PF | Italy | 16.4
The youngest player at this event as the lone 2002-born prospect, Grant was not overly productive or efficient but has obvious tools and potential that justify his inclusion on Italy's roster.

Standing around 6-7 with a huge wingspan, massive hands and a chiseled frame, it's easy to see what makes Grant a prospect at first glance. He doesn't appear to have reached his full athletic potential, being more fluid than explosive, but he finds ways to contribute (mostly at the 4).

Grant's role for Italy was to switch on everything defensively, crash the glass and be opportunistic offensively. His shooting stroke shows potential but is far from consistent at this stage, as he dips the ball below his waist on the catch and doesn't appear to shoot the same way, sometimes bending his knees deeply. He's mostly a straight-line driver who struggles to create space in the half court even when operating against power forwards. He seems to show a solid feel and isn't lacking for confidence in his offensive game, hinting at nice things to come as he continues to add polish and experience.

Grant shows tremendous potential defensively, as he's strong enough to put a body on almost any big man and still agile enough to switch onto guards and wings, sliding his feet to stay in front and showing a huge contesting radius on the perimeter with his massive wingspan.

Grant was quickly earmarked by NBA scouts and will surely be monitored to see how he progresses before he finally becomes draft eligible in three years.

9. Marko Pecarski | PF/C | Serbia | 18.4
The MVP of the tournament, Pecarski helped form a devastating big-man combo with Filip Petrusev, as the two close friends destroyed small-ball lineups with terrific chemistry. Pecarski averaged a ridiculous 25 points, 11 rebounds and 2.3 assists in just 27 MPG, shooting an ultra-efficient 57 percent from 2 and 44 percent from 3.

Pecarski has always been an incredibly instinctive offensive player, as he's blessed with a great knack for sniffing out easy baskets and can also shoot 3s, put the ball on the floor and go to work in the post. Plus, he got to the free throw line nine times. He has excellent body control, footwork and touch around the basket to go along with his polished skill level.

Though Pecarski has always been a dominant player at the junior levels, there are some questions about how his production will translate to the professional ranks. He is not blessed with great physical tools, measuring 6-9 without shoes with a narrow 215-pound frame and a 6-10 wingspan. Pecarski's frame hasn't changed much since he first burst onto the scene and he isn't a great athlete, as he plays the game somewhat hunched over on the defensive end, struggling to bend his knees, not covering ground particularly well and lacking much in the way of quickness or explosiveness. Pecarski really struggled when forced to switch out onto guards or wings on the perimeter, getting burned off the bounce a few times and not showing great intensity getting back into plays.

Pecarski played about 350 minutes of pro ball last season with Partizan in the EuroCup, Adriatic and Serbian leagues, and he's likely to see an uptick in playing time this year. Though he's probably skilled, smart and versatile enough to carve out a role at the NBA level on offensive, his limitations defensively might prevent him from really making it unless he can find a way to substantially improve.

10. Deividas Sirvydis | SF | Lithuania | 18.1
Having grown to almost 6-9 with a nice frame, Sirvydis has great size for a small forward with good fluidity and versatility. He didn't play the biggest role for Lithuania, mostly sticking to what he does best -- making shots at a very high level, hitting 45 percent of his 3s. More than just a one-dimensional spot-up shooter, Sirvydis can handle the ball a bit as well, either to find the open man or make pull-up jumpers confidently with a low release. He has a high basketball IQ and is a very competitive player, never shying away from the moment.

Despite his terrific size, Sirvydis has very little length to speak of, with a negative wingspan that might make it difficult for him to get much time as a face-up 4 in smaller lineups. He'll have to become a more consistent defender (which he shows sparks of at times) to prove that this won't be a deal-breaker, but overall it's tough not to like his approach and offensive ability.

Kira Lewis has committed to Alabama and reclassified to play in college next year but he's born in 2001 and therefore too young to be a one-and-done.

Jazz will promote Naz to the big league roster, replacing Thabo, and sign Kidd to replace Naz as a 2-way player.
As for the draft, look for Dennis to do something bold like selling both picks for a cool $4.5M, which they'll use to re-sign Udoh.

prepare yourselves for a deluge of insane zion hot takes... I been posting him on this site way before the hype... before u could type in Zion Williamson in youtube and there was more than a handful of videos...

In my latest bigboard update i've bumped him up into the top-5 from the late lotto tho.

Sophomore PG at Murray St. looks interesting and in this years PG crop could make some noise if he shows improvement. Good athlete for sure.

Paul Eboua is a player I saw 2 summers ago at the Jordan Brand Classic game... 6'7" with freakishly long arms.

He's born in 2000.

Check this out... There's a possible case of age fudging, from Senegal... I tend not to believe this kid is 18 years old, just call it a gut feeling... He looks older... If he's 2000 born he's a possible 2nd rd pick.

Monster set of hands, gets off the ground nicely, shot doesn;t look totally broken, about 6'10 with long arms and obviously quite powerful/high-motor.

I think the Jazz are going to hone in on a 6'10" or 6'11" stretch big who can both play next to Gobert as a 4 or ideally play a stretch-5 in an alternative 5-out line-up. I think the Jazz would be drooling to have a guy like Lauri Markkanen on the roster, while Mitchell, Exum, Royce and Ricky attack the gaps. I was reaching to try to project Jontay Porter into that kind of role, though Porter is really just a 5 (like a Frank Kaminsky) unless he markedly improves his athleticism this year.

The Jazz are likely to be drafting in the mid-20s this year, so they're going to have to be resourceful to bring in meaningful talent.

I think the Jazz are going to hone in on a 6'10" or 6'11" stretch big who can both play next to Gobert as a 4 or ideally play a stretch-5 in an alternative 5-out line-up. I think the Jazz would be drooling to have a guy like Lauri Markkanen on the roster, while Mitchell, Exum, Royce and Ricky attack the gaps. I was reaching to try to project Jontay Porter into that kind of role, though Porter is really just a 5 (like a Frank Kaminsky) unless he markedly improves his athleticism this year.

The Jazz are likely to be drafting in the mid-20s this year, so they're going to have to be resourceful to bring in meaningful talent.

Freshman McDonalds All-American 1-and-done sleeper at Maryland for u to keep an eye on. He's 6'10 can shoot and has major spring.

There is also 6'10 Jalen McDaniels (who's brother Jaden is a legit possibility to go #1 in 2020)

Not as polished a shooter as the 2 above, it'd be a jackpot scenario tho - Simi *****u. Though it's unlikely he's on the board in the 20's. He's more of a Thaddeus Young type than a pure stretch big. 6'9" long and very athletic tho.

Also I think they could trade for Skal Labissiere to fill that role, he looks to have added some nice weight this offseason.

Last edited:
prepare yourselves for a deluge of insane zion hot takes... I been posting him on this site way before the hype... before u could type in Zion Williamson in youtube and there was more than a handful of videos...

In my latest bigboard update i've bumped him up into the top-5 from the late lotto tho.

I peg zion as a potential slipper come draft day.

Freshman McDonalds All-American 1-and-done sleeper at Maryland for u to keep an eye on. He's 6'10 can shoot and has major spring.

There is also 6'10 Jalen McDaniels (who's brother Jaden is a legit possibility to go #1 in 2020)

Not as polished a shooter as the 2 above, it'd be a jackpot scenario tho - Simi *****u. Though it's unlikely he's on the board in the 20's. He's more of a Thaddeus Young type than a pure stretch big. 6'9" long and very athletic tho.

Also I think they could trade for Skal Labissiere to fill that role, he looks to have added some nice weight this offseason.

I mentioned Simi *****u earlier but the Jazz worked out McDaniel this off season

I think Zion Williamson is going to be fine. He'll be an athletic 4/5. I just worry about him keeping his weight down and guarding some on the perimeter.

I think Zion Williamson is going to be fine. He'll be an athletic 4/5. I just worry about him keeping his weight down and guarding some on the perimeter.

He's short enough I don't see him ever having too much problems moving his feet on the perimeter.

I just look at his body type and he over powers everyone. That is not going to happen as much in the NBA. He might struggle. Not to mention he will have to have a reliable 3 point shot to open driving lanes for him. AS you said his weight might be a huge concern.

The other outlier is the game has come easy for him because of his size and athleticism i am not sure about his work ethic to become the best he can be.

I'm not a believer in McDaniel at this point. Will keep tabs this season.

Jalen's little brother Jaden is so good, I almost can't wait to see what he's gonna do because of that. My intuition says to give him the benefit of the doubt.

(disclaimer this video is the younger brother, possible #1 pick in 2020... don't get too excited, jazz don't have any chance at drafting a player like this in 2019 cuz there's none in the field)