What's new

Free Agents Still Available

If we arent getting a high caliber SF (which obviously we wont) better just get Ilyasova as a stretch four and waive Diaw. We will not be top 3-4 as we would with Hayward but still make playoffs i think.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

I wouldn't be opposed to a 3 year deal at around the MLE to find out. Jazz either get an athletic SF to replace Hayward (who comes from the very culture Utah is trying to emulate) or the Spurs have another contract tied up on their books.

This. I'd offer 3/18-20ish. If he never gets any better, it doesn't screw us. That's a tradeable asset. But if our coaches can improve his shooting, it's a steal.

a
This.

Michael Beasley as someone (seattlejazzfan I think) else has brought up comes to mind.

yep, if you want to play some moneyball and get somebody on the cheap, he's the one. you could probably snag him for something like 2 yrs $6 M. this is a guy with a PER of 18, TS% of 58%, 3pt& of 42%. 20+ ppg per 36, and can play the 3 and the 4 - both positions of need for the Jazz. with the drug issues and other off court stuff (hasn't had any issues for 4 years, fwiw), he's not typical Jazz - and for that reason in reality i can't see the Jazz signing him, but from a basketball standpoint, he's a legit option, imo.

Based on what he's done the last couple years, he's arguably the best shooter/scorer left out there - and you can get him for less than just about any of the guys listed by the OP

I'm just really wary of skilled players who cant manage to stay on the same team for more than a year. Illyasova and Beasley seem like pretty solid players, yet no team wants them past a year of service.

And Beasley is the kind of guy who will pass up an open 3 to take a dribble and shoot a long 2 with his heel on the 3 point line.

Any player with upside and/or name-recognition that fills a team-need at a below-market contract.

My thought is the opposite. The Jazz need to find a D-League or European wing who is 6'6+ and hungry.

Throw up the homeytennis bat signal.

And Beasley is the kind of guy who will pass up an open 3 to take a dribble and shoot a long 2 with his heel on the 3 point line.

if we want to count the warts, there are plenty. the point is, he would be very cheap, and his skillset is one the Jazz need. still just 28.

Derrick Williams is another guy i think you could take a chance on. just 26, shot 40% from three last year and i'd imagine you could buy low.

My thought is the opposite. The Jazz need to find a D-League or European wing who is 6'6+ and hungry.

Throw up the homeytennis bat signal.

Same. Can't remember the article but I read something recently about a few NBA to euro dudes that had grown/become relevant in the new look NBA (Udoh was one).

Also, just saw your sig, love Griffin.

if we want to count the warts, there are plenty. the point is, he would be very cheap, and his skillset is one the Jazz need. still just 28.

Derrick Williams is another guy i think you could take a chance on. just 26, shot 40% from three last year and i'd imagine you could buy low.

I just dont see either of those dudes as having anywhere near league average IQ.

And sure Williams shot 42% with Lebron, but he also shot 20% with Miami and improved their team when he left. And he has never shot over 33% w/o Lebron.

How often do top pick bust turn their career around when they are in their mid to late 20's? You can see the pattern. Team gets them for a year then doesnt want them back because they see they are too dumb, dont want to be coached, or dont have the work ethic.

I'm just really wary of skilled players who cant manage to stay on the same team for more than a year. Illyasova and Beasley seem like pretty solid players, yet no team wants them past a year of service.

That's okay because we are looking for rental players.

Agreed on him and Beasley. The issue right now would be playing time. Pretty much whoever we got would get little to no playing time.