What's new

Free Agents Still Available

Look at the Free Agent class of 2018. Save the money, Dump AB in season, and go hard at a loaded class next year. Only 4-5 teams have space in 2018

Look at the Free Agent class of 2018. Save the money, Dump AB in season, and go hard at a loaded class next year. Only 4-5 teams have space in 2018

I agree with saving the money (I'd offer 1 year deals) but I'm not too terribly impressed by next year's class. Any of the good ones are restricted. And, unless we lock up Hood, he's probably one of the best FAs.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2018/

CJ or Luc short-term. Try and offer Mirotic as much as possible for 3-4 years - he's solid and would be a great signing at the right price. I know Chicago just re-signed Felicio, who is also a PF/C. They drafted Markkanen (a PF) and Portis is there also so they might not value Mirotic as highly.

IMO the Jazz need to hold their horses and not do anything stupid. Next year is shaping up to be a year when very few teams will have the capspace to afford a max FA. We can be one of those. Give a stopgap forward a 1+1(TO) contract and try to strike gold next summer. Maybe get into the Wiggins sweepstakes? Maybe Parker if he recovers well and your doctors believe he can be alright going forward? Maybe Aaron Gordon? There will be good options, for sure better than the ones that are left on the market right now.

Not sure... I think we really need to TPE.

Not sure... I think we really need to TPE.

At the very least, the Hayward sign-and-trade with no other pieces involved should happen just for the TPE.

HEY, there's another idea: automatic TPE-creation when another team signs one of your (Bird Rights) free agents (for teams under the tax). What's the downside?

I kinda just want to fill out the roster with mother****ers that are good locker room guys. I also want to keep space for next year, SO:

Tony Allen for $7 million on a one-year deal with a team option/partial guarantee the next (think Diaw's contract).

The more I think about that, the more I like it.

At the very least, the Hayward sign-and-trade with no other pieces involved should happen just for the TPE.

HEY, there's another idea: automatic TPE-creation when another team signs one of your (Bird Rights) free agents (for teams under the tax). What's the downside?

I'm not exactly sure how S&T's work, but I'm pretty sure Boston has to send something for the Jazz to get a TPE. Not sure if it actually has to be a player. Maybe it can be a future 2nd round pick that has no chance to ever be conveyed or draft rights to a player drafted years ago and has no chance of ever coming over?

CJ-Paper2-1024x768.jpg

I'm not exactly sure how S&T's work, but I'm pretty sure Boston has to send something for the Jazz to get a TPE. Not sure if it actually has to be a player. Maybe it can be a future 2nd round pick that has no chance to ever be conveyed or draft rights to a player drafted years ago and has no chance of ever coming over?
That wasn't the case a couple of CBAs ago (pretty sure Boozer is an example), but I'll take the rights to someone unlikely to come over if that's what it takes.

Interesting question. Under legal terms, maybe the TPE can be seen as the asset that has value. If not, maybe the trade would be structured as Hayward and a pick for a Boston pick. Probably with Boston having swap rights so they'd end up with the highest 2nd rounder.

But why would Ainge help us out? There's nothing in it for him. If anything, it sets Utah up to be a competitor in the trade market. A TPE isn't coming our way, unless Utah includes a unprotected future first. That's the way Danny rolls.

That wasn't the case a couple of CBAs ago (pretty sure Boozer is an example), but I'll take the rights to someone unlikely to come over if that's what it takes.

Jazz traded their 2011 2nd round pick to get the Boozer TPE, which was nearly immediately used to gAl Jefferson.

Jazz traded their 2011 2nd round pick to get the Boozer TPE, which was nearly immediately used to gAl Jefferson.
Yes, that's correct. The TPE was used on Jefferson so Minnesota didn't have to take back equal salaries. They got Koufos and two first round picks.

I really want that trade exception from Boston. I really don't understand why Ainge wouldn't agree at this point. Other than to be a d***.

Celtics get- Haywood and a free second rounder
We get- Trade exception and Jordan Mickey if they have to send a player back (he's not going to get time anyway with Morris, Yabusele, Ojeleye, etc etc)

They basically get a free pick.

I really want that trade exception from Boston. I really don't understand why Ainge wouldn't agree at this point. Other than to be a d***.

Celtics get- Haywood and a free second rounder
We get- Trade exception and Jordan Mickey if they have to send a player back (he's not going to get time anyway with Morris, Yabusele, Ojeleye, etc etc)

They basically get a free pick.

Because a 2nd round pick is pretty much worthless. Ainge is ruthless. He doesn't want to help anyone. He's just going to say, give me Hood, Exum or an unprotected 1st. Ainge doesn't need anything else. He doesn't need to dump salaries; he already did that.