What's new

Game Of Thrones

I'm simply posing a question for discussion.

- Exposure GOT is reaching a much wider audience now with the show than the book ever would alone. If exposure to his work is what he's after, focussing on the show makes sense.

- Longevity He is old, his books cannot carry on once he's gone, but the show can (ala the world of Star Wars and George Lucas). His time would be better spent working on an outline of stories for the producers after he's gone than writing the books (if he wants the stories to continue).

When a novelist sells a story for production as a tv show or movie they sell it. They might get royalties, they might not. The show is its own thing and the people who own the rights to the show have primary interest in the success of the show. As far as GRRM is concerned that deal is done. Yes it benefits his book sales and will be a huge benefit when the new book is released. That's a benefit hoe got the second he sold the rights to make it into a television series. He can't focus on the series. It doesn't belong to him. Please try to get that point. He doesn't own the TV series.

LOL, the TV series will live on and not the books. Be serious.

The story ends. I know you've been silly about that point in the past, but this is not a soap opera. The story ends. Book six will come out sometime and then the final book seven might come out if he lives long enough to write it. That's it. That's where it ends.

When a novelist sells a story for production as a tv show or movie they sell it. They might get royalties, they might not. The show is its own thing and the people who own the rights to the show have primary interest in the success of the show. As far as GRRM is concerned that deal is done. Yes it benefits his book sales and will be a huge benefit when the new book is released. That's a benefit hoe got the second he sold the rights to make it into a television series. He can't focus on the series. It doesn't belong to him. Please try to get that point. He doesn't own the TV series.

LOL, the TV series will live on and not the books. Be serious.

The story ends. I know you've been silly about that point in the past, but this is not a soap opera. The story ends. Book six will come out sometime and then the final book seven might come out if he lives long enough to write it. That's it. That's where it ends.

I'm not an expert but this is what I got from Wikipedia on GRRM:

Although busy completing A Dance With Dragons and other projects, George R. R. Martin was heavily involved in the production of the television series adaptation of his books. Martin's involvement included the selection of a production team and participation in scriptwriting; the opening credits list him as a co-executive producer of the series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_R._R._Martin

I'm not an expert but this is what I got from Wikipedia on GRRM:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_R._R._Martin
And do you think that title comes with any real ongoing authority or financial incentive above what he's already received? I don't really know, but what I do know is that his profession is being a novelist, not a television producer. His time is probably best spent writing novels.

And do you think that title comes with any real ongoing authority or financial incentive above what he's already received? I don't really know, but what I do know is that his profession is being a novelist, not a television producer. His time is probably best spent writing novels.

It's also been reported that he writes at least 1 episode in each of the previous GOT seasons. Look it up if you need to. Granted he is a novelist but his involvement in the show is larger than what you are led to believe.

It's also been reported that he writes at least 1 episode in each of the previous GOT seasons. Look it up if you need to. Granted he is a novelist but his involvement in the show is larger than what you are led to believe.
What are we even talking about? The show has two more seasons.

What are we even talking about? The show has two more seasons.

Well you said "He can't focus on the series. It doesn't belong to him." But in fact he has been very much involved in the series, he is a consultant and has written for episodes of the TV shows as well. Proof? Look at the link below and look at the column "Written by", GRRM has written for at least 1 episodes of the first 4 seasons. Obviously he's too busy with the novel during Season 5 to carry on that streak.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_of_Thrones_episodes#Season_1_.282011.29

Season 1: The Pointy End
Season 2: Blackwater
Season 3: The Bear and the Maiden Fair
Season 4: The Lion and the Rose

I actually liked seaon 5. The last 3 episode saved the season for me. The best Game Of Thrones seasons are the ones that most closely follow the books in large part because those are the best books, thats why they were followed so closely. People forget how boring Dance with Dragons and Feast of Crows was.

I liked the Book 4 the best, though. Nowhere near they were boring, I can accept that they were worse in comparison to former 3 but they were still better than most fantasy fiction books out there.

Has anyone read the Dunk and Egg stories, The Princess and The Queen and Rogue Prince? Dunk and Egg stories are quite satisfying. Keeps the need to read MOAR at bay for while.

I also do the Leigh Butler's A Read of Ice and Fire on tor.com, it's great to see the books from a first time reader's eyes. Her commentary is great, too.

I liked the Book 4 the best, though. Nowhere near they were boring, I can accept that they were worse in comparison to former 3 but they were still better than most fantasy fiction books out there.

Has anyone read the Dunk and Egg stories, The Princess and The Queen and Rogue Prince? Dunk and Egg stories are quite satisfying. Keeps the need to read MOAR at bay for while.

I also do the Leigh Butler's A Read of Ice and Fire on tor.com, it's great to see the books from a first time reader's eyes. Her commentary is great, too.

You're a young man from Turkey right? Do a lot of Turkish people read as much English literature as you do?

I'm impressed :)

You're a young man from Turkey right? Do a lot of Turkish people read as much English literature as you do?

I'm impressed :)

I am 23.

I can't find the article but I read that the amount of books bought in Turkey is decrasing year by year so I doubt it. I consider myself a fast reader but it's not at all impressing considering I read so few of Turkish literature.

I don't really go after English literature but it is sure nice being able to read them in their original language.

I am 23.

I can't find the article but I read that the amount of books bought in Turkey is decrasing year by year so I doubt it. I consider myself a fast reader but it's not at all impressing considering I read so few of Turkish literature.

I don't really go after English literature but it is sure nice being able to read them in their original language.

Ok that's what I mean, like how many Turkish seeks out English books to read, I'd guess now many :)

Quick question - what are you studying at the moment? Or are you working?

Ok that's what I mean, like how many Turkish seeks out English books to read, I'd guess now many :)

Quick question - what are you studying at the moment? Or are you working?

I am studying English Language Teaching and working at a bookstore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5C6kG57J7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BabsgCQhpu4

1000% swear i posted these vids already. No idea where they went.

I can't wait! Zombie gregor ftw