What's new

Game thread..Pelicans @jazz.... tank tested

Another loss coming. Gordon, Holiday and Davis? Only chance would be if we would have better bench then them but since our bench is by far the worst in all NBA they will make sure tank is unstoppable until Burke is coming back.

I'm not sure finishing in last place is any better than finishing with second or third worst record. In fact, I like third worst best. If Jazz finish 28th in the league, they have roughly equal chances at any of the top 3 pick, with a slightly higher chance at the 4th pick. Finish in first place gives them a higher chance to land the first pick, but 35% of landing the forth (compared to only 22% of landing 4th pick for third to last finish). And given the fact there are at least 3 amazing prospects competing for top pick, I don't see what the fuss is all about. Finishing the season with something like 10 wins will ensure we have a team that doesn't care much about winning, full of players waiting for their opportunity to leave. And no 19 year old can magically change that.
Misleading. Go ahead and add the chances of us getting a worse than 4th pick to this pct. We should shoot for dead last. Even if we win tonight we will likely lose the next 7 so I say get a win tonight. I would rather we lose both against phx at the end of the month though.

I agree. I think there is a line between tanking and a full-fledged dumpster fire in which players confidence can be shattered, or willingness to stay in Utah (cough cough Hayward) might be in jeopardy.

Even though watching Jabari and Wiggins last night had me salivating for lotto day, I think a win here and there - just to get our youngn's a taste of victory - is a necessity. Tonight seems like a fine place to start.

Agreed. When it comes time to re-sign for next year, those players who would have been on the fence following an 0-82 season would be in a much better position if they come away from this season with a few wins. With the warm fuzzies that they'll get after beating the likes of the Pelicans and the Kings, they won't even hesitate to sign on the dotted line. "Man, I can't WAIT to come back for another year and almost beat some more teams!" And regardless of how they feel, think about how it will increase their trade value! GM's looking over resumes will be delighted to read the entry:

2013-2014 Utah Jazz - Basketball Player
Requirements: Pulse, patience. Shoot and pass ball
Major Accomplishments: Didn't lose all of our games

They will probably not brush their teeth after their first win so that they can continue to savor the taste of victory (what does beating the Pelicans taste like?). The confidence that they gain from these wins will be second-only to the confidence they would gain from actual achievement.

At his Hall of Fame acceptance speech, when asked what the turning point was in his career, Gordon Hayward will pause only very slightly before stating "those six wins in '13/'14 really served as a catalyst for my future. I was so lucky to be a part of that."

Had Doc Brown been privy to the events of 11/13/2013 and had even a basic understanding of the impact of that evening, he would have instantly destroyed the DeLorean to eliminate even the remotest possibility that McFly would find himself in a position to even slightly alter the result. No time-space continuum fabric could realistically withstand such a dilemma.

You will be able to tell your grandchildren that "I was there, watching on an illegally streamed internet feed, when the Jazz won that game. Alec Burks' heart grew three sizes that day!"

I would say that this is a "must-win", but I fear that the requisite urgency is not represented by this lackluster phrase. This may just be a "must-must-win."

Utah Jazz, my team! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our teammates and break up our contracts, but it is not this day. An hour of pelicans and shattered defensive schemes, when the pride of the organization comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, men of the Northwest division!

Enes is asking you to step up for something bigger than the Tank.

Enes Kanter ✔ @Enes_Kanter
Families in the Philippines need our help! Please join the @utahjazz in continuing to support relief efforts. https://on.nba.com/1dUOPit Typhoon Relief Efforts

Step up Jazzfanz.

I don't think Kobe lets them miss and I think the Knicks will be fine because the east is a joke. Celtics will be top 3 for sure.

Also, I've said it before, if I believed they rigged the lottery I'd quit following the league.

I don't know. I think Kobe wants another ring and he has to realize that he's not going to get one this year. I can see his injury keeping him out longer than expected. Nash is out for at least 2 weeks now as well. I honestly think that the lakers are going to tank and it makes me nervous.

I'm not sure finishing in last place is any better than finishing with second or third worst record. In fact, I like third worst best. If Jazz finish 28th in the league, they have roughly equal chances at any of the top 3 pick, with a slightly higher chance at the 4th pick. Finish in first place gives them a higher chance to land the first pick, but 35% of landing the forth (compared to only 22% of landing 4th pick for third to last finish)..

You also have to consider the 0% chance of getting the 5th or 6th pick that the worst team has compared to the 30.5% chance that the 3rd worst team has.

Time to get Ian Clark big minutes and bet Biedrens on the floor. Tank on.

As the sick and battered Dennis Lindsey left his family, also ill, to go with KOC to the Chicago Classic, KOC turned to him and said, "you know what Dennis, lets leave your family with something encouraging... transcendentally inspiring." What are you thinking, Kevin?" Responded Dennis. "Follow my lead", said KOC. KOC and Lindsey then stood up in the back of their contemporary carriage and turned back to the Lindsey family (all of which were watching the epic departure from the front porch) and Yelled "Hurrah!! Hurrah for Tanking!!!"

Misleading. Go ahead and add the chances of us getting a worse than 4th pick to this pct. We should shoot for dead last. Even if we win tonight we will likely lose the next 7 so I say get a win tonight. I would rather we lose both against phx at the end of the month though.

What I'm saying is, finishing in last place far from guarantees the top pick. It only happened twice since lottery rules changed in the 90s. The difference between finishing dead last and finishing with third worst record is that the former guarantees a top 4 picks, while the latter nets you a top 6 (and the odds of 3rd landing the 6th pick is only 4%, so pretty much guarantees a top 5 pick). It is a trivial difference since the draft has several superstar prospects, and we cannot know where they end up in the future.

I hope you feel less misled.

Last edited:
I want the team to go out, play their hardest and win if they can.

On the flip side, I'm very happy with each loss going in the L column.

But, I really wouldn't mind if we were without a win until Burks suited up.

I don't know. I think Kobe wants another ring and he has to realize that he's not going to get one this year. I can see his injury keeping him out longer than expected. Nash is out for at least 2 weeks now as well. I honestly think that the lakers are going to tank and it makes me nervous.

I think it would make sense for them to do it but I don't think Kobe has it in him.

Have you seen his twitter?

It's 1225. He was the ranked the 25th best player and his team 12th. He's not built to endorse a tank. Besides a rookie doesn't help him win titles.

The way he helps win titles is taking the minimum next year and getting talented FAs

I think it would make sense for them to do it but I don't think Kobe has it in him.

Have you seen his twitter?

It's 1225. He was the ranked the 25th best player and his team 12th. He's not built to endorse a tank. Besides a rookie doesn't help him win titles.

The way he helps win titles is taking the minimum next year and getting talented FAs

There is no reason they can't have both. Plus it will be easier to lure a talented FA with a wiggins,Randle,Parker than without.

I hope we lose. I want a huge head start on this Tank before Burke comes back. He might help us win.

It would be better to start winning games towards the end of the season to give us momentum going into next season.

I have faith in the tank. We'll pull off another L.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using JazzFanz mobile app

I hope we lose. I want a huge head start on this Tank before Burke comes back. He might help us win.

It would be better to start winning games towards the end of the season to give us momentum going into next season.

All of this.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using JazzFanz mobile app

What I'm saying is, finishing in last place far from guarantees the top pick. It only happened twice since lottery rules changed in the 90s. The difference between finishing dead last and finishing with third worst record is that the former guarantees a top 4 picks, while the latter nets you a top 6 (and the odds of 3rd landing the 6th pick is only 4%, so pretty much guarantees a top 5 pick). It is a trivial difference since the draft has several superstar prospects, and we cannot know where they end up in the future.

I hope you feel less misled.

My worry about the chance of getting the 5th pick is this: I view the draft as 1, 2, 3 being Parker, Randle and Wiggins, in no particular order. After that, do you see a surefire superstar? I see Dante Exum being very good, but not surefire like the other three, and then 5th, is there a player as good as any in the top 4? I don't really think there is. But we have a whole college season to see that.

So, in summation, Jazz need to tank the hell out of this season, and ensure a top 4 pick with their record. The other thing we need to do is hire some linebackers to play for ten day contracts when we play the warriors, and get lucky with the ping pong balls on that pick. We can have ourselves a superstar, and another all star with the GSW pick. Just count it as payback for the way Mark Jackson treated Stockton, and the way those guys immorally tanked one year. (Is what we are doing this year any better morally?)

The Nuggets are trying to trade the Manimmal for Shumpert.... No amount of losses will satisfy me.

Yup. The Jazz are top-3 in just about every suckstistic that you can imagine, and have all the tools necessary to not compete, but as colton is fond of saying: "you can't take anything for granite."

I'm not sure finishing in last place is any better than finishing with second or third worst record. In fact, I like third worst best. If Jazz finish 28th in the league, they have roughly equal chances at any of the top 3 pick, with a slightly higher chance at the 4th pick. Finish in first place gives them a higher chance to land the first pick, but 35% of landing the forth (compared to only 22% of landing 4th pick for third to last finish)

Math. How does that **** work?

So people are still rooting against the Jazz despite being winless and looking like a lock for last place? Come on. Have SOME pride.

Seriously. You can win a few games and still have the worst record in the league.